Affiliation: University of Turku
- Serum HE4 concentration differentiates malignant ovarian tumours from ovarian endometriotic cystsK Huhtinen
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Br J Cancer 100:1315-9. 2009..Taken together, measuring both HE4 and CA125 serum concentrations increases the accuracy of ovarian cancer diagnosis and provides valuable information to discriminate ovarian tumours from ovarian endometriotic cysts...
- A cohort effect on serum testosterone levels in Finnish menA Perheentupa
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, FI 20520 Turku, Finland
Eur J Endocrinol 168:227-33. 2013..e. semen quality, incidence of cryptorchidism and testicular cancer); thus, we expected no significant cohort-dependent decrease in serum testosterone...
- Does the andropause exist?Antti Perheentupa
Department of Physiology, University of Turku, Finland
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 3:670-1. 2007
- Endogenous testosterone and brachial artery endothelial function in middle-aged men with symptoms of late-onset hypogonadismJuuso I Mäkinen
Department of Clinical Physiology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Aging Male 14:237-42. 2011..In middle-aged to elderly men, there is an inverse correlation between serum testosterone and brachial FMD. These data suggest that testosterone may have an adverse effect on systemic endothelial function...
- Late-onset hypogonadism in men. Experience from the Turku Male Ageing Study (TuMAS)Ilpo Huhtaniemi
Department of Physiology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Hormones (Athens) 7:36-45. 2008..This review summarises the recent key findings in this study, with special reference to the correlation of androgen levels with sexual symptoms and cardiovascular risk factors...
- Smoking and low serum testosterone associates with high concentration of oxidized LDLMeri S Linna
Department of Health and Exercise, Paavo Nurmi Center, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Ann Med 40:634-40. 2008..The interplay between smoking, oxidized low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (ox-LDL) and gonadal hormones has been scarcely investigated...
- Endogenous testosterone and serum lipids in middle-aged menJuuso I Mäkinen
Department of Clinical Physiology, University of Turku, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Atherosclerosis 197:688-93. 2008..The role of decreasing testosterone levels influencing lipid metabolism in aging men is not well established...
- Sexual symptoms in aging men indicate poor life satisfaction and increased health service consumptionJuuso I Mäkinen
Department of Clinical Physiology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Urology 70:1194-9. 2007..The deterioration of sexual, physical, and mental performance in aging men has been used to measure the clinical manifestations of androgen decrement. However, their prevalence and relation to coexisting morbidities are unknown...
- Estrogen biosynthesis and signaling in endometriosisKaisa Huhtinen
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland
Mol Cell Endocrinol 358:146-54. 2012..Further studies are still needed to define the possible differences in steroid metabolism in different types of endometriotic lesions...
- Endometrial and endometriotic concentrations of estrone and estradiol are determined by local metabolism rather than circulating levelsKaisa Huhtinen
University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:4228-35. 2012..However, tissue estrogen concentrations within the endometrium and different types of endometriosis lesions have not been described...
- Increased carotid atherosclerosis in andropausal middle-aged menJuuso Mäkinen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1603-8. 2005..This study examined the association between carotid artery intima-media thickness (IMT), serum sex hormone levels, and andropausal symptoms in middle-aged men...
- [Primary dysmenorrhea painful menstruation]Antti Perheentupa
TYKS n naistenklinikka, ja Turun yliopisto biolääketieteen laitos, fysiologia, Turku
Duodecim 121:1411-8. 2005
- [Birth control during lactation and breast feeding]Antti Perheentupa
TYKS n naistenklinikka, Turku
Duodecim 120:1467-73, 1499. 2004
- Transdermal estradiol treatment suppresses serum gonadotropins during lactation without transfer into breast milkAntti Perheentupa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Physiology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Fertil Steril 82:903-7. 2004..To determine which dose of transdermal E(2) could be administered to breastfeeding women without significant transfer into breast milk...
- Aging of the human ovary and testisAntti Perheentupa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, 20520 Turku, Finland
Mol Cell Endocrinol 299:2-13. 2009..The clinically important aspect of testicular aging entails the decline of androgen production in aging men...
- Resampling reveals sample-level differential expression in clinical genome-wide studiesJukka Hiissa
Biomathematics Research Group, Department of Mathematics, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
OMICS 13:381-96. 2009..The generic procedure should benefit also other global profiling experiments such as those based on mass spectrometry-based proteomic assays...
- Serum HE4 Profile During Primary Chemotherapy of Epithelial Ovarian CancerJohanna Hynninen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Turku University Hospital, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Int J Gynecol Cancer 21:1573-8. 2011..The objective of the present study was to determine the value of HE4 for monitoring the response to primary therapy in patients with advanced disease...
- Serum concentrations of HE4 change little during in vitro fertilizationMarianne Hallamaa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Turku University Hospital and University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 93:640-6. 2014..Findings were compared with serum concentrations of cancer antigen 125 (CA125), currently the most commonly used marker for ovarian cancer...
- Novel hydroxysteroid (17beta) dehydrogenase 1 inhibitors reverse estrogen-induced endometrial hyperplasia in transgenic miceTaija Saloniemi
Department of Physiology, University of Turku, and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Turku University Central Hospital, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, FIN 20014 Turku, Finland
Am J Pathol 176:1443-51. 2010..Therefore, HSD17B1 is a promising new therapeutic target in the management of estrogen-dependent endometrial diseases...
- Male contraception--quo vadis?Antti Perheentupa
Departments of Physiology and Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Turku, Finland
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 83:131-7. 2004....
- Male hormonal contraception: a double-blind, placebo-controlled studyEllen Mommers
Global Clinical Development Department, Organon, part of Schering Plough, Oss, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2572-80. 2008..This is the first large placebo-controlled study for male hormonal contraception...
- Serum anti-Müllerian hormone levels remain high until late reproductive age and decrease during metformin therapy in women with polycystic ovary syndromeTerhi Piltonen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Hum Reprod 20:1820-6. 2005..Moreover, the possible effect of metformin on serum AMH levels and the relationship to follicle count and volume were studied...
- Ovarian age-related responsiveness to human chorionic gonadotropin in women with polycystic ovary syndromeTerhi Piltonen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3769-75. 2004....
- Effect of progestin-only pill on pituitary-ovarian axis activity during lactationAntti Perheentupa
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The University of Edinburgh Chancellor s Building, 49 Little France Crescent, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, UK
Contraception 67:467-71. 2003..Thus, the contraceptive effect of POP is likely mediated through local actions at the endometrium and cervix in a manner similar to that in menstruating women...