Mervi K Oikonen
Affiliation: University of Turku
- Ambient air quality and occurrence of multiple sclerosis relapseM Oikonen
Aerobiology Unit, University of Turku, Finland
Neuroepidemiology 22:95-9. 2003..Inhalable airborne particulate matter concentrations were connected to relapse occurrence. Poor air quality may enhance the seasonal changes in MS relapse occurrence by an increased susceptibility to transmissible infections...
- Repeated Blood Pressure Measurements in Childhood in Prediction of Hypertension in AdulthoodMervi Oikonen
From Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland M O, J N, C G M, O T R Menzies Institute for Medical Research, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia C G M Department of Medicine, University of Turku and Division of Medicine, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland J S A V, M J Department of Pediatrics, Vaasa Central Hospital, Vaasa, Finland L T Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland L T Department of Clinical Physiology, University of Eastern Finland and Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland T L Department of Pediatrics, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland N H K Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland E J Department of Chronic Disease Prevention, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Turku, Finland A J Cardiology Department M C and Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes M A S, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital and University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Department of Internal Medicine
Hypertension 67:41-7. 2016..Compared with a single measurement, the prediction of adult hypertension was enhanced by 2 observations of abnormal blood pressure in childhood/youth. ..
- Depressive symptoms are associated with lower bone mineral density in young adults with high job strain. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyM Oikonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, 20520, Turku, Finland
Int J Behav Med 21:464-9. 2014..Job strain has been associated with depressive symptoms, and depression has been associated with low bone mineral density (BMD)...
- Ideal cardiovascular health in young adult populations from the United States, Finland, and Australia and its association with cIMT: the International Childhood Cardiovascular Cohort ConsortiumMervi Oikonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Finland
J Am Heart Assoc 2:e000244. 2013..We studied the prevalence of ideal CV health and its associations with ultrasonographically measured carotid intima-media thickness (cIMT) cross-sectionally in 5 international populations...
- Tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases 4 (TIMP4) in a population of young adults: relations to cardiovascular risk markers and carotid artery intima-media thickness. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyMervi Oikonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, 20520 Turku, Finland
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 72:540-6. 2012....
- Beta-interferon protects multiple sclerosis patients against enhanced susceptibility to infections caused by poor air qualityMervi K Oikonen
Aerobiology Unit, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Neuroepidemiology 30:13-9. 2008..The monthly multiple sclerosis relapse rate was studied from January 1995 to March 2001 from hospital records in Southwestern Finland as a retrospective open-label study...
- Temporal relationship between environmental influenza A and Epstein-Barr viral infections and high multiple sclerosis relapse occurrenceMervi Oikonen
Aerobiology Unit, University of Turku, Finland
Mult Scler 17:672-80. 2011..Multiple sclerosis (MS) relapses have been associated with viral and bacterial infection epidemics in MS patients who have not used interferon...
- Genetic variants and blood pressure in a population-based cohort: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns studyMervi Oikonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, PO Box 52, FI 20521 Turku, Finland
Hypertension 58:1079-85. 2011..5-mm Hg higher blood pressure, and this trajectory continues from childhood to adulthood...
- Interactions between genetic variants and dietary lipid composition: effects on circulating LDL cholesterol in childrenAri V Ahola-Olli
From the Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland AVA O, NP, MKO, VM, KP, and TR the Department of Food and Environmental Sciences VM and the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland FIMM JK, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland the Department of Clinical Chemistry, Fimlab Laboratories, Pirkanmaa Hospital District, School of Medicine, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland TL the Department of Clinical Physiology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland MK Paavo Nurmi Centre, Sports and Exercise Medicine Unit, Department of Physical Activity and Health, University of Turku, Turku, Finland KP the Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland HN and OS Computational Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland AJK, PS, and MA K NMR Metabolomics Laboratory, School of Pharmacy, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland PS and MA K Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 100:1569-77. 2014..Interindividual differences in response to diet exist, but the underlying genetic factors remain largely unknown...