Affiliation: University of Oulu
- Statistically significant papers in psychiatry were cited more often than othersPentti Nieminen
Institute of Medical Biometry and Medical Informatics, University of Freiburg, Stefan Meier Str 26, D 79115 Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 60:939-46. 2007..Citations by other researchers are important in the dissemination of research findings. We aimed to investigate whether preferential citation of statistically significant articles exists in the psychiatric literature...
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in relation to secondary sex ratio--a systematic review of published studiesPentti Nieminen
Medical Informatics and Statistics Research Group, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Chemosphere 91:131-8. 2013..048 with 95% CI of (-0.121, 0.026). There was no strong or moderate indication that parental exposure to PCBs alters the sex ratio of the children...
- Ageing and smoking contribute to plasma surfactant proteins and protease imbalance with correlations to airway obstructionHelen Ilumets
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
BMC Pulm Med 11:19. 2011..However, the level of these proteins has not been examined during ageing or in young individuals with short smoking histories...
- Statistical methodologies in psychopharmacology: a reviewPentti Nieminen
Medical Informatics Group, University of Oulu, Finland
Hum Psychopharmacol 21:195-203. 2006....
- Attitudes to new smoking restrictions and second-hand smoke among young Finnish malesPentti Nieminen
Medical Informatics and Statistics Research Group, University of Oulu, Finland
Scand J Public Health 38:817-25. 2010..The objective was to explore the attitudes of young male adults after the new smoke-free legislation was implemented in Finland...
- The relationship between quality of research and citation frequencyPentti Nieminen
Medical Informatics Group, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:42. 2006..The objective of this study is to assess whether statistical reporting and statistical errors in the analysis of the primary outcome are associated with the number of citations received...
- Medical theses as part of the scientific training in basic medical and dental education: experiences from FinlandPentti Nieminen
Medical Informatics Group, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
BMC Med Educ 7:51. 2007..The objective of this study was to evaluate the nature, quality, publication pattern and visibility of Finnish medical diploma theses...
- Genotype-environment interaction in schizophrenia-spectrum disorder. Long-term follow-up study of Finnish adopteesPekka Tienari
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, Finland University of Rochester, USA Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, Finland
Br J Psychiatry 184:216-22. 2004..Earlier adoption studies have convincingly confirmed the importance of a genetic contribution to schizophrenia. The designs, however, did not incorporate observations of the rearing-family environment...
- Coverage of the bibliographic databases in mental health researchJohanna Löhönen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, 90014 Oulun yliopisto, Finland
Nord J Psychiatry 64:181-8. 2010..The selected databases have an important effect on the potential results achieved. Studies about comparison of databases provide useful information to help determine which databases or set of databases are useful for a particular topic...
- A guide for medical information searches of bibliographic databases - psychiatric research as an exampleJohanna Löhönen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Int J Circumpolar Health 68:394-404. 2009....
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings in relation to the COL9A2 tryptophan allele among patients with sciaticaJaro Karppinen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Oulu, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:78-83. 2002..The phenotype of patients with sciatica who have the Trp2 allele is characterized cross-sectionally...
- Observing relationships in Finnish adoptive families: Oulu Family Rating ScalePekka Tienari
Department of Psychiatry of Oulu University, Oulu, Finland
Nord J Psychiatry 59:253-63. 2005..For this purpose 33 sub-scales were selected creating what we call Oulu Family Rating Scale (OPAS, Oulun PerheArviointiSkaala). In this paper, the manual for scoring of these sub-scales is presented...
- Use of statistical techniques in studies of suicide seasonality, 1970 to 1997Helinä Hakko
Department of Psychiatry at the University of Oulu, Finland
Suicide Life Threat Behav 32:191-208. 2002..The calendar effect was adjusted only in 11 studies. Some recommendations concerning the methodological and reporting issues are summarized for future articles on the seasonal affect on suicides...
- How to use bibliometric methods in evaluation of scientific research? An example from Finnish schizophrenia researchJohanna Koskinen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Nord J Psychiatry 62:136-43. 2008..According to our experience, these methods can be used as an evaluation instrument in research together with other methods, such as expert opinions and panels...
- Clinical utility and outcome of HFE-genotyping in the search for hereditary hemochromatosisJokke Hannuksela
Department of Clinical Chemistry, P O Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Clin Chim Acta 331:61-7. 2003..The gene mutated in this disorder is termed HFE. The present study was designed to evaluate the diagnostic utility and outcome of genetic testing for HH in the service of public health care...
- Association of common ATM polymorphism with bilateral breast cancerKatri Heikkinen
Department of Clinical Genetics, Oulu University Hospital, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Int J Cancer 116:69-72. 2005..Based on the results, we propose a cancer risk-modifying effect for the ATM 5557G-->A, IVS38-8T-->C composite allele...
- Statistical methodology in general psychiatric journalsJouko Miettunen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, FIN 90014, Finland
Nord J Psychiatry 56:223-8. 2002....
- Information and communication technology among undergraduate dental students in FinlandJorma I Virtanen
Institute of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Eur J Dent Educ 6:147-52. 2002..The younger students have more interest in ICT and better skills, which presents a challenge for dental education in the future...
- Use of statistical methods in dental research: comparison of four dental journals during a 10-year periodHannu Vähänikkilä
Institute of Dentistry and University Hospital, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 67:206-11. 2009..To investigate development of the use of statistical methods in dental journals in 1996, 2001, and 2006 hypothesizing that methods are becoming more sophisticated...
- Serum osteoprotegerin and periodontal destruction in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitusGeorgios Antonoglou
Department of Periodontology and Geriatric Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Clin Periodontol 40:765-70. 2013..We explored associations between the extent/severity of periodontitis and circulating levels of sRANKL and OPG and their ratio using a cross-sectional study design...
- The use of time-to-event methods in dental research: a comparison based on five dental journals over a 11-year periodHannu Vähänikkilä
Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 40:36-42. 2012....
- Links between creativity and mental disorderErika Lauronen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, Finland
Psychiatry 67:81-98. 2004..In conclusion, evidence exists to support some form of association between creativity and mental disorder, but the direction of any causal link remains obscure...
- Hereditary hemochromatosis gene (HFE) mutations C282Y, H63D and S65C in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathyJokke Hannuksela
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, Oulu, Finland
Eur J Heart Fail 7:103-8. 2005..Hence we set out here to evaluate the prevalence and potential role of HFE mutations in patients with IDCM...
- Genetic boundaries of the schizophrenia spectrum: evidence from the Finnish Adoptive Family Study of SchizophreniaPekka Tienari
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, PL 5000, 90014 Oulun yliopisto, Oulu, Finland
Am J Psychiatry 160:1587-94. 2003....
- Radiologic phenotypes in lumbar MR imaging for a gene defect in the COL9A3 gene of type IX collagenJaro Karppinen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University Hospital of Oulu, PL 25, FIN 90029 Oulu, Finland
Radiology 227:143-8. 2003..To evaluate whether the COL9A3 tryptophan allele (Trp3 allele) is associated with a specific radiologic phenotype among patients with sciatica...
- Natural history of familial myomasOuti Uimari
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oulu University Hospital, PL 24, 90029 OYS Oulu, Finland
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 125:255-8. 2006..To study the natural history of myomas in familial cases and to compare the tendencies of myomas between familial and non-familial cases...