Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- [Factors linked to obesity and body weight perception in adolescents]Vera Mikkilä
TAYS n lastenklinikka PL 2000, 33521 Tampere
Duodecim 118:921-9. 2002
- Associates of obesity and weight dissatisfaction among Finnish adolescentsVera Mikkilä
National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Public Health Nutr 6:49-56. 2003..We investigated behavioural and socio-economic factors associated with obesity and weight dissatisfaction among Finnish adolescents...
- Longitudinal changes in diet from childhood into adulthood with respect to risk of cardiovascular diseases: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyV Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:1038-45. 2004..To assess nutrient intakes relevant in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) among young adults in Finland and to find past and present determinants of quality of diet...
- Consistent dietary patterns identified from childhood to adulthood: the cardiovascular risk in Young Finns StudyV Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, PO Box 66, FIN 00 014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 93:923-31. 2005..Our results suggest that food behaviour and concrete food choices are established already in childhood or adolescence and may significantly track into adulthood...
- Major dietary patterns and cardiovascular risk factors from childhood to adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyVera Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 98:218-25. 2007..Our results support earlier findings that dietary patterns have a role in the development of CVD...
- Long-term dietary patterns and carotid artery intima media thickness: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyVera Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 102:1507-12. 2009..01), but not in women (P = 0.66). Long-term adherence to traditional food choices seems to increase the risk of developing subclinical atherosclerosis among Finnish men...
- Lactase gene c/t(-13910) polymorphism, calcium intake, and pQCT bone traits in Finnish adultsSanna Tolonen
Division of Nutrition, Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, P O Box 66, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Calcif Tissue Int 88:153-61. 2011..In conclusion, the C/T(-13910) polymorphism was associated with trabecular density at the distal radius and tibia in men. These differences may be due to the differences in calcium intake between the lactase genotypes...
- Association of apolipoprotein E promoter polymorphisms with bone structural traits is modified by dietary saturated fat intake - the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns studySanna Tolonen
Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Bone 48:1058-65. 2011..Furthermore, high longitudinal SAFA intake seems to be more detrimental to bone in women with the -219T/T and +133C/C genotypes than others...
- Genetic lactase non-persistence, consumption of milk products and intakes of milk nutrients in Finns from childhood to young adulthoodMarika M L Laaksonen
Division of Nutrition, Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, PO Box 66, FIN 00014, Finland
Br J Nutr 102:8-17. 2009..Thus, in those with the C/C- 13910 genotype, preference for low-lactose milk and milk products may decrease the risk for inadequate Ca intake...
- Sense of coherence, food selection and leisure time physical activity in type 1 diabetesAila J Ahola
Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Public Health 40:621-8. 2012..We hypothesized that patients with weak sense of coherence have less prudent food choices and lower physical activity...
- Schoolchildren's food consumption and dietary intake during the dry season in north-west NamibiaLiisa Vähätalo
Division of Nutrition, Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Int J Food Sci Nutr 56:367-75. 2005..7 MJ/day for rural subjects. The intakes of vitamin A, vitamin C and folate were inadequate in both groups. Our findings show that during the dry season, the diets of Namibian school-aged children are monotonous...
- Household educational level as a determinant of consumption of raw vegetables among male and female adolescentsE B Roos
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Prev Med 33:282-91. 2001..A further aim was to investigate whether the associations were the same for male and female adolescents...
- Childhood serum cholesterol ester fatty acids are associated with blood pressure 27 y later in the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyJari E Kaikkonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 95:1422-31. 2012..In adults, dietary fatty acids (FAs) modify blood pressure (BP), but it is not known whether childhood FA quality is associated with adulthood BP...
- Many patients with Type 1 diabetes estimate their prandial insulin need inappropriatelyAila J Ahola
Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Diabetes 2:194-202. 2010..The aim of the present study was to determine how often patients with Type 1 diabetes achieve normal postprandial glucose concentrations and to evaluate factors associated with postprandial hypo- and hyperglycemia...