Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- [Factors linked to obesity and body weight perception in adolescents]Vera Mikkilä
TAYS n lastenklinikka PL 2000, 33521 Tampere
Duodecim 118:921-9. 2002
- Associates of obesity and weight dissatisfaction among Finnish adolescentsVera Mikkilä
National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Public Health Nutr 6:49-56. 2003..We investigated behavioural and socio-economic factors associated with obesity and weight dissatisfaction among Finnish adolescents...
- Longitudinal changes in diet from childhood into adulthood with respect to risk of cardiovascular diseases: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyV Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:1038-45. 2004..To assess nutrient intakes relevant in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) among young adults in Finland and to find past and present determinants of quality of diet...
- Consistent dietary patterns identified from childhood to adulthood: the cardiovascular risk in Young Finns StudyV Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, PO Box 66, FIN 00 014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 93:923-31. 2005..Our results suggest that food behaviour and concrete food choices are established already in childhood or adolescence and may significantly track into adulthood...
- Major dietary patterns and cardiovascular risk factors from childhood to adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyVera Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 98:218-25. 2007..Our results support earlier findings that dietary patterns have a role in the development of CVD...
- Long-term dietary patterns and carotid artery intima media thickness: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyVera Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 102:1507-12. 2009..01), but not in women (P = 0.66). Long-term adherence to traditional food choices seems to increase the risk of developing subclinical atherosclerosis among Finnish men...
- Lactase gene c/t(-13910) polymorphism, calcium intake, and pQCT bone traits in Finnish adultsSanna Tolonen
Division of Nutrition, Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, P O Box 66, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Calcif Tissue Int 88:153-61. 2011..In conclusion, the C/T(-13910) polymorphism was associated with trabecular density at the distal radius and tibia in men. These differences may be due to the differences in calcium intake between the lactase genotypes...
- Association of apolipoprotein E promoter polymorphisms with bone structural traits is modified by dietary saturated fat intake - the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns studySanna Tolonen
Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Bone 48:1058-65. 2011..Furthermore, high longitudinal SAFA intake seems to be more detrimental to bone in women with the -219T/T and +133C/C genotypes than others...
- Genetic lactase non-persistence, consumption of milk products and intakes of milk nutrients in Finns from childhood to young adulthoodMarika M L Laaksonen
Division of Nutrition, Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, PO Box 66, FIN 00014, Finland
Br J Nutr 102:8-17. 2009..Thus, in those with the C/C- 13910 genotype, preference for low-lactose milk and milk products may decrease the risk for inadequate Ca intake...
- Sense of coherence, food selection and leisure time physical activity in type 1 diabetesAila J Ahola
Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Public Health 40:621-8. 2012..We hypothesized that patients with weak sense of coherence have less prudent food choices and lower physical activity...
- Schoolchildren's food consumption and dietary intake during the dry season in north-west NamibiaLiisa Vähätalo
Division of Nutrition, Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Int J Food Sci Nutr 56:367-75. 2005..7 MJ/day for rural subjects. The intakes of vitamin A, vitamin C and folate were inadequate in both groups. Our findings show that during the dry season, the diets of Namibian school-aged children are monotonous...
- Household educational level as a determinant of consumption of raw vegetables among male and female adolescentsE B Roos
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Prev Med 33:282-91. 2001..A further aim was to investigate whether the associations were the same for male and female adolescents...
- Childhood serum cholesterol ester fatty acids are associated with blood pressure 27 y later in the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyJari E Kaikkonen
Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 95:1422-31. 2012..In adults, dietary fatty acids (FAs) modify blood pressure (BP), but it is not known whether childhood FA quality is associated with adulthood BP...
- Interactions between genetic variants and dietary lipid composition: effects on circulating LDL cholesterol in childrenAri V Ahola-Olli
From the Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland AVA O, NP, MKO, VM, KP, and TR the Department of Food and Environmental Sciences VM and the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland FIMM JK, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland the Department of Clinical Chemistry, Fimlab Laboratories, Pirkanmaa Hospital District, School of Medicine, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland TL the Department of Clinical Physiology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland MK Paavo Nurmi Centre, Sports and Exercise Medicine Unit, Department of Physical Activity and Health, University of Turku, Turku, Finland KP the Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland HN and OS Computational Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland AJK, PS, and MA K NMR Metabolomics Laboratory, School of Pharmacy, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland PS and MA K Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 100:1569-77. 2014..Interindividual differences in response to diet exist, but the underlying genetic factors remain largely unknown...
- Many patients with Type 1 diabetes estimate their prandial insulin need inappropriatelyAila J Ahola
Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Diabetes 2:194-202. 2010..The aim of the present study was to determine how often patients with Type 1 diabetes achieve normal postprandial glucose concentrations and to evaluate factors associated with postprandial hypo- and hyperglycemia...