Tiina Maria Makinen
Affiliation: University of Oulu
- Different types of cold adaptation in humansTiina Maria Makinen
Institute of Health Sciences, PO Box 5000, FI 90014 University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2:1047-67. 2010....
- Nordic Society for Arctic Medicine. The effects of cold adaptation on human performanceTiina M Mäkinen
Centre for Arctic Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Int J Circumpolar Health 62:445. 2003
- Occurrence of frostbite in the general population--work-related and individual factorsTiina M Mäkinen
Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, Oulu 90014, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 35:384-93. 2009..To examine the occurrence of frostbite in the general population and the related risk factors...
- Cold temperature and low humidity are associated with increased occurrence of respiratory tract infectionsTiina M Mäkinen
Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, Finland
Respir Med 103:456-62. 2009..The association between cold exposure and acute respiratory tract infections (RTIs) has remained unclear. The study examined whether the development of RTIs is potentiated by cold exposure and lowered humidity in a northern population...
- Autonomic nervous function during whole-body cold exposure before and after cold acclimationTiina M Mäkinen
Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Aviat Space Environ Med 79:875-82. 2008..The study examined cardiovascular autonomic function at the sinus node level during controlled breathing and while undertaking isometric exercise during whole-body cold exposure before and after cold acclimation...
- Human cold exposure, adaptation, and performance in high latitude environmentsTiina M Mäkinen
Centre for Arctic Medicine, Thule Institute, Department of Public Health Sciences and General Practice, FIN 90014, University of Oulu, Finland
Am J Hum Biol 19:155-64. 2007..The article discusses the functional significance of cold exposure, adaptation, and the specific environmental conditions and physiological mechanisms that affect behavior and performance in high latitude environments...
- Factors affecting outdoor exposure in winter: population-based studyTiina M Mäkinen
Centre for Arctic Medicine, Thule Institute, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, 90014, University of Oulu, Finland
Int J Biometeorol 51:27-36. 2006..In conclusion, the subjects reported spending 4% of their total time under cold exposure, most of it (71%) during leisure time. Both occupational and leisure-time cold exposure is greater among men than women...
- Effect of repeated exposures to cold on cognitive performance in humansTiina M Mäkinen
Centre for Arctic Medicine, Thule Institute, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014, Finland
Physiol Behav 87:166-76. 2006..The results suggest that cold affects cognitive performance negatively through the mechanisms of distraction and both positively and negatively through the mechanism of arousal...
- Postural sway during single and repeated cold exposuresTiina M Mäkinen
Centre for Arctic Medicine, Thule Institute, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:947-53. 2005..Tissue cooling changes sensory and neuromuscular functions that are also involved in postural control. The purpose of the study was to determine how acute and repeated exposures to cold affect whole body postural control...
- Seasonal changes in thermal responses of urban residents to cold exposureTiina M Mäkinen
Centre for Arctic Medicine, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014, Finland
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 139:229-38. 2004..Blunted vasomotor and skin temperature responses, which are typical for habituation to cold, were not observed in winter. Instead, the responses in winter resemble aggravated reactions of non-cold acclimatised subjects...
- Seasonal levels of melatonin, thyroid hormones, mood, and cognition near the Arctic CircleTiina Pääkkönen
Department of Biomedicine Physiology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Aviat Space Environ Med 79:695-9. 2008..The associations between melatonin and thyroid hormones and changes in mood and cognitive performance caused by exposure to cold and darkness were examined in 12 circumpolar residents during winter and summer...
- Urinary melatonin: a noninvasive method to follow human pineal function as studied in three experimental conditionsTiina Pääkkönen
Department of Physiology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Pineal Res 40:110-5. 2006..Both urinary melatonin and aMT6s are good indicators of melatonin secretion, but the variation is significantly smaller for the former molecule...
- Cold-related respiratory symptoms in the general populationTerttu Harju
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Clin Respir J 4:176-85. 2010..However, the prevalence of such symptoms in the general population and the threshold temperatures at which the symptoms start to emerge are poorly known...