Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Peptide targeting of tumor lymph vesselsPirjo Laakkonen
Molecular Cancer Biology Research Program and Institute of Biomedicine, Biomedicum Helsinki, P O Box 63, Haartmaninkatu 8, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1131:37-43. 2008....
- [Ligandomics--a tool for the development of targeted treatments]Kimmo Porkka
HUS, sisätautien toimiala, hematologian klinikka
Duodecim 118:1185-92. 2002
- Development of peptides specifically modulating the activity of KLK2 and KLK3Hannu Koistinen
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Biol Chem 389:633-42. 2008..In this review we summarize the possible roles of KLK3 and KLK2 in prostate cancer and then concentrate on the development of peptides that modulate the activity of these proteases...
- The effects of palmitoylation on membrane association of Semliki forest virus RNA capping enzymeP Laakkonen
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, Viikinkaari 9, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 271:28567-71. 1996..These results indicate that the acylation of Nsp1 was not needed for its targeting to the plasma membrane, but it was necessary for the migration to the filopodial extensions of the plasma membrane...
- Critical residues of Semliki Forest virus RNA capping enzyme involved in methyltransferase and guanylyltransferase-like activitiesT Ahola
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Virol 71:392-7. 1997..Secondary structure predictions of nsP1 and other proteins of the superfamily place these residues in positions corresponding to AdoMet-binding sites of cellular methyltransferases, suggesting that they all may be structurally related...
- Effects of palmitoylation of replicase protein nsP1 on alphavirus infectionT Ahola
Research Program in Cellular Biotechnology, Institute of Biotechnology, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
J Virol 74:6725-33. 2000..The SFV mutant was apathogenic in mice: it caused blood viremia, but no infectious virus was detected in the brain...
- Antiangiogenic properties of prostate-specific antigen (PSA)Johanna M Mattsson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Biomedicum, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:447-51. 2009..Taken together, these studies suggest that PSA exerts antiantiogenic activity related to its enzymatic activity. Thus it might be associated with the slow growth of prostate cancer...
- Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus lytic replication compromises apoptotic response to p53 reactivation in virus-induced lymphomasG Sarek
Institute of Biotechnology and Research Programs Unit, Genome Scale Biology, Biomedicum Helsinki, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Oncogene 32:1091-8. 2013..These results highlight the potential impact of activation of viral lytic replication on disease progression and response to treatment in KSHV-induced lymphomas...
- Tumour-homing peptides: tools for targeting, imaging and destructionJ Enbäck
Molecular Cancer Biology Research Program and Institute of Biomedicine, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Finland
Biochem Soc Trans 35:780-3. 2007..These peptides appear to be able to concentrate in the target tissue, making them particularly efficient delivery vectors for the targeting of drugs, other therapeutic moieties and imaging agents...
- A heparan sulfate-targeted conditionally replicative adenovirus, Ad5.pk7-Delta24, for the treatment of advanced breast cancerT Ranki
Cancer Gene Therapy Group, Rational Drug Design Program and Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Gene Ther 14:58-67. 2007..These results suggest utility of Ad5.pK7-Delta24 and the orthotopic model for further translational studies...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 3 is involved in tumor angiogenesis and growthPirjo Laakkonen
Molecular Cancer Biology Research Program and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedicum Helsinki, Haartman Institute and Helsinki University Central Hospital, University of Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Res 67:593-9. 2007..These results suggest that the VEGFR-3 pathway contributes to tumor angiogenesis and that effective inhibition of tumor progression may require the inhibition of multiple angiogenic targets...
- Structural characterization and anti-angiogenic properties of prostate-specific antigen isoforms in seminal fluidJohanna M Mattsson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Biomedicum Helsinki, Helsinki University Central Hospital and University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Prostate 68:945-54. 2008..We have previously shown that seminal fluid contains both active and inactive, internally cleaved forms of PSA. The precise structural differences between these isoforms and their function are not known...
- Loss of endothelial Tie1 receptor impairs lymphatic vessel development-brief reportGabriela D'Amico
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory, Biomedicum Helsinki, Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute and Helsinki University Central Hospital, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:207-9. 2010..We tested the hypothesis that the swelling observed in Tie1 mutant embryos is associated with lymphatic vascular defects...
- Complex formation between human prostate-specific antigen and protease inhibitors in mouse plasmaCan Hekim
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Prostate 70:482-90. 2010..To justify the use of mouse models for evaluation of the function of PSA and for studies on therapeutic modalities based on modulation of PSA activity, it is important to know whether PSA complexation is similar in mouse and man...
- Gene expression changes associated with the anti-angiogenic activity of kallikrein-related peptidase 3 (KLK3) on human umbilical vein endothelial cellsJohanna M Mattsson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Biol Chem 389:765-71. 2008....
- A tumor-homing peptide with a targeting specificity related to lymphatic vesselsPirjo Laakkonen
Cancer Research Center, The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Med 8:751-5. 2002..These results suggest that tumor lymphatics carry specific markers and that it may be possible to specifically target therapies into tumor lymphatics...
- Nanocrystal targeting in vivoMaria E Akerman
Cancer Research Center, The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12617-21. 2002..These results encourage the construction of more complex nanostructures with capabilities such as disease sensing and drug delivery...
- Blocking VEGFR-3 suppresses angiogenic sprouting and vascular network formationTuomas Tammela
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedicum Helsinki and the Haartman Institute University of Helsinki, PO Box 63 Haartmaninkatu 8, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Nature 454:656-60. 2008..Our results implicate VEGFR-3 as a regulator of vascular network formation. Targeting VEGFR-3 may provide additional efficacy for anti-angiogenic therapies, especially towards vessels that are resistant to VEGF or VEGFR-2 inhibitors...
- VEGFR-3 expression is restricted to blood and lymphatic vessels in solid tumorsTatiana V Petrova
Cancer Cell 13:554-6. 2008
- Stage-specific vascular markers revealed by phage display in a mouse model of pancreatic islet tumorigenesisJohanna A Joyce
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Diabetes and Comprehensive Cancer Centers, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cancer Cell 4:393-403. 2003..One peptide is homologous with pro-PDGF-B, which is expressed in endothelial cells, while its receptor is expressed in pericytes...
- Antitumor activity of a homing peptide that targets tumor lymphatics and tumor cellsPirjo Laakkonen
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9381-6. 2004..As LyP-1 affects the poorly vascularized tumor compartment, it may complement treatments directed at tumor blood vessels...
- Lymphatic neoangiogenesis in human kidney transplants is associated with immunologically active lymphocytic infiltratesDontscho Kerjaschki
Department of Pathology, Medical University of Vienna, Allgemeines Krankenhaus, Vienna, Austria
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:603-12. 2004....