Affiliation: University of Kuopio
- Association between functional capacity tests and fractures: an eight-year prospective population-based cohort studyM Karkkainen
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, MediTeknia Building, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Osteoporos Int 19:1203-10. 2008..The standing-on-one-foot and grip strength tests and a question about self-assessed ability to move can be used to identify women with a high risk of suffering a fracture...
- Physical tests for patient selection for bone mineral density measurements in postmenopausal womenMatti Kärkkäinen
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, Clinical Research Center, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, 70211, Kuopio, Finland
Bone 44:660-5. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine whether relatively simple and clinically applicable physical tests could be useful in prediction of bone density in postmenopausal women...
- Does daily vitamin D 800 IU and calcium 1000 mg supplementation decrease the risk of falling in ambulatory women aged 65-71 years? A 3-year randomized population-based trial (OSTPRE-FPS)Matti K Kärkkäinen
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, University of Kuopio, Finland
Maturitas 65:359-65. 2010..A randomly selected subsample of 593 subjects underwent a detailed measurement program including serum 25(OH)D measurements...
- Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on bone mineral density in women aged 65-71 years: a 3-year randomized population-based trial (OSTPRE-FPS)M Karkkainen
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, MediTeknia Building, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, 70211, Kuopio, Finland
Osteoporos Int 21:2047-55. 2010..Daily vitamin D and calcium supplementation have a positive effect on the skeleton in ambulatory postmenopausal women...
- Effect of vitamin D(3) and calcium on fracture risk in 65- to 71-year-old women: a population-based 3-year randomized, controlled trial--the OSTPRE-FPSKari Salovaara
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, Clinical Research Centre, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
J Bone Miner Res 25:1487-95. 2010..In conclusion, this study did not produce statistically significant evidence that vitamin D and calcium supplementation prevents fractures in a 65- to 71-year-old general population of postmenopausal women...
- Physical activity slows femoral bone loss but promotes wrist fractures in postmenopausal women: a 15-year follow-up of the OSTPRE studyToni Rikkonen
Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
J Bone Miner Res 25:2332-40. 2010..Regular PA of at least 1½ hours per week does not seem to increase the risk of other fractures and might significantly decrease proximal femur bone loss among peri- and postmenopausal women...