Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Involvement of Pleiotrophin in CNTF-mediated differentiation of the late retinal progenitor cellsJérôme Roger
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire de la Retine, UMR S 592 INSERM, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Dev Biol 298:527-39. 2006..Together, these results demonstrate that influence of CNTF family of cytokines on the differentiation of late retinal progenitor cell population is partially mediated by the release of Ptn...
- HB-GAM inhibits proliferation and enhances differentiation of neural stem cellsAnni Hienola
Neuroscience Center, Department of Biosciences and Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki 00014, Finland
Mol Cell Neurosci 26:75-88. 2004..We propose that HB-GAM functions as an endogenous inhibitor of FGF-2 in stem cell proliferation in the developing cortex...
- N-syndecan deficiency impairs neural migration in brainAnni Hienola
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Cell Biol 174:569-80. 2006..Furthermore, we show that N-syndecan interacts with EGF receptor (EGFR) at the plasma membrane and is required in EGFR-induced neuronal migration...
- Syndecan-3-deficient mice exhibit enhanced LTP and impaired hippocampus-dependent memoryMarko Kaksonen
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology, Department of Biosciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Mol Cell Neurosci 21:158-72. 2002..We suggest that syndecan-3 acts as an important modulator of synaptic plasticity that influences hippocampus-dependent memory...
- The two thrombospondin type I repeat domains of HB-GAM display a cooperative function in N-syndecan binding and regulation of synaptic plasticityErkki Raulo
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, Finland
ScientificWorldJournal 6:406-9. 2006
- The two thrombospondin type I repeat domains of the heparin-binding growth-associated molecule bind to heparin/heparan sulfate and regulate neurite extension and plasticity in hippocampal neuronsErkki Raulo
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, Helsinki FIN 00014, Finland
J Biol Chem 280:41576-83. 2005..These results suggest a co-operative action of the two beta-sheet domains in the biologically relevant interaction with neuron surface heparan sulfate...
- Sensory neurons from N-syndecan-deficient mice are defective in survivalMikhail Paveliev
Institute of Biotechnology, PO Box 56, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, Helsinki FIN 00014, Finland
Neuroreport 19:1397-400. 2008..In contrast, DRG neurons from young adult N-syndecan knockout mice exhibited normal survival. This study identifies a completely new syndecan-dependent type of signaling that regulates cell death in neurons...
- Role of heparin-binding growth-associated molecule (HB-GAM) in hippocampal LTP and spatial learning revealed by studies on overexpressing and knockout miceIvan Pavlov
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology and Department of Biosciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Mol Cell Neurosci 20:330-42. 2002..These results show that HB-GAM suppresses LTP in hippocampus and plays a role in regulation of learning-related behavior...
- Glucocorticoid hormones decrease proliferation of embryonic neural stem cells through ubiquitin-mediated degradation of cyclin D1Maria Sundberg
Minerva Medical Research Institute, Biomedicum Helsinki, FIN 00290 Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 26:5402-10. 2006..In embryonic brain, dexamethasone inhibited cell proliferation of NSCs. This demonstrates that embryonic NSCs are critically influenced by glucocorticoids, which can have long-term effects in the brain...