- Heikkinen T, Booy R, Campins M, Finn A, Olcen P, Peltola H, et al. Should healthy children be vaccinated against influenza? A consensus report of the Summits of Independent European Vaccination Experts. Eur J Pediatr. 2006;165:223-8 pubmed..Annual influenza vaccination should be recommended to all children from 6 months to 3 years of age. ..
- Heikkinen T, Silvennoinen H, Heinonen S, Vuorinen T. Clinical and socioeconomic impact of moderate-to-severe versus mild influenza in children. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:1107-13 pubmed publisher..Illness severity should be considered when assessing influenza vaccine effectiveness in children. ..
- ..At present, antivirals and vaccines are only available against influenza viruses, but new vaccines and antivirals against other viruses, especially for RSV, are being developed. ..
- Heikkinen T. The role of respiratory viruses in otitis media. Vaccine. 2000;19 Suppl 1:S51-5 pubmed..The availability of effective vaccines against the principal viruses predisposing to acute otitis media could be expected to result in a substantial reduction in the incidence of this disease. ..
- Heikkinen T, Osterback R, Peltola V, Jartti T, Vainionpaa R. Human metapneumovirus infections in children. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:101-6 pubmed publisher..Acute otitis media developed in 61% of hMPV-infected children <3 years of age. Our findings demonstrate that the effect of hMPV in the community is greatest in children <2 years of age...