Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Smokers who do not want to quit--is consonant smoking related to lifestyle and socioeconomic factors?A Haukkala
Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Public Health 29:226-32. 2001..To examine whether consonant smokers (who say they would not like to quit) differ from dissonant smokers (who would like to quit) in other forms of health-related behaviour and socioeconomic background...
- Progression of oral snuff use among Finnish 13-16-year-old students and its relation to smoking behaviourAri Haukkala
Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Addiction 101:581-9. 2006..To examine the progression of oral moist snuff use among adolescents and its relation to smoking behaviour and nicotine addiction...
- Gender differences in the associations between depressive symptoms, cardiovascular diseases, and all-cause mortalityAri Haukkala
Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Ann Epidemiol 19:623-9. 2009..We examine the relationships between depressive symptoms and all-cause mortality and cardiovascular disease (CVD) in a representative sample of the Finnish population...
- Hostility, anger control, and anger expression as predictors of cardiovascular diseaseAri Haukkala
Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki, FI 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Psychosom Med 72:556-62. 2010..To examine in a prospective setting whether different hostility measures, including Cynical Distrust, Trait Anger, Anger Out, Anger In, and Anger Control, are related to cardiovascular disease (CVD) and ischemic heart disease (IHD)...
- Academic achievement and smoking: is self-efficacy an important factor in understanding social inequalities in Finnish adolescents?Marjaana Pennanen
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Finland, Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Public Health 39:714-22. 2011..e. attitude, social influence, self-efficacy and intention to smoke) in relation to academic achievement and determine whether these cognitions explain different patterns of smoking...
- Emotional eating, depressive symptoms and self-reported food consumption. A population-based studyHanna Konttinen
Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki, Unionink 37 P O Box 54, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Appetite 54:473-9. 2010..Emotional eating could be one factor explaining the association between depressive symptoms and consumption of sweet foods, while other factors may be more important with respect to non-sweet foods and vegetables/fruit...
- Emotional eating and physical activity self-efficacy as pathways in the association between depressive symptoms and adiposity indicatorsHanna Konttinen
Department of Social Research, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 92:1031-9. 2010..There is increasing evidence that depressive symptoms and obesity are positively related, but the mechanisms that explain the association between them are unclear...
- Socioeconomic status and psychosocial mechanisms of lifestyle change in a type 2 diabetes prevention trialNelli Hankonen
Department of Lifestyle and Participation, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Ann Behav Med 38:160-5. 2009..Little is known about psychosocial mechanisms that may underlie differences in lifestyle change between socioeconomic groups...
- Longitudinal study of relations between school achievement and smoking behavior among secondary school students in Finland: results of the ESFA studyMarjaana Pennanen
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Mannerheimintie, Helsinki, Finland
Subst Use Misuse 46:569-79. 2011..Both deterioration of school achievement and progression in smoking uptake continuum predicted changes in other behavior during the first two years in secondary school in Finland...
- Comparing sense of coherence, depressive symptoms and anxiety, and their relationships with health in a population-based studyHanna Konttinen
Department of Social Psychology, University of Helsinki, Unioninkatu 37, P O Box 54, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Soc Sci Med 66:2401-12. 2008....
- Smoking from adolescence to adulthood: the effects of parental and own socioeconomic statusMeri Paavola
National Public Health Institute, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Public Health 14:417-21. 2004..The aim of the study was to examine the effects of parental socioeconomic status, own socioeconomic status and social mobility upon the development of smoking from adolescence to adulthood...
- Socio-economic disparities in the consumption of vegetables, fruit and energy-dense foods: the role of motive prioritiesHanna Konttinen
1 Department of Social Research, University of Helsinki, PO Box 54, 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Public Health Nutr 16:873-82. 2013..We examined whether the absolute or relative importance of various food choice motives contributed to SES disparities in vegetable/fruit and energy-dense food intake...
- Eating styles, self-control and obesity indicators. The moderating role of obesity status and dieting history on restrained eatingHanna Konttinen
Department of Social Psychology, Unionink 37 P O Box 54, 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Appetite 53:131-4. 2009..These results suggest that restrained eating may be related to better weight control among those who need and/or are motivated to lose weight while among others it may indicate problems with eating...
- Long-term impact of parental divorce on intimate relationship quality in adulthood and the mediating role of psychosocial resourcesUlla Mustonen
Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
J Fam Psychol 25:615-9. 2011..In the context of parental divorce, the mother-daughter relationship in adolescence is important for the development of later psychosocial resources and, via them, for intimate relationship quality...
- The effects of a three-year smoking prevention programme in secondary schools in HelsinkiErkki Vartiainen
Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, National Public Health Institute, Finland
Eur J Public Health 17:249-56. 2007..The study is part of the European Smoking prevention Framework Approach (ESFA), in which Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and the UK participated...
- Smoking, alcohol use, and physical activity: a 13-year longitudinal study ranging from adolescence into adulthoodMeri Paavola
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Adolesc Health 35:238-44. 2004..To assess the associations among smoking, alcohol use, and physical activity, and to assess how the health behaviors predict changes in other health behaviors from adolescence to adulthood...
- Depression and smoking across 25 years of the Normative Aging StudyTaru Kinnunen
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Department of Oral Health Policy and Epidemiology, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 36:413-26. 2006..The aim of the present study is to examine the stability of the relationship between depressive symptoms and smoking status and to determine whether the presence of depressive symptoms predicts continued smoking...
- Cardiovascular risk factors in the Federation of Bosnia and HerzegovinaAida Pilav
Department of Health statistics and informatics, Federal Public Health Institute Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Eur J Public Health 17:75-9. 2007..Reliable information on risk factor levels and patterns needed in prevention planning and disease management has been lacking...