Genomes and Genes
University of Oulu
Organization: University of Oulu
- Parents' views on changes in their child's communication and linguistic and socioemotional development after cochlear implantationKerttu Huttunen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, PO Box 5000, FI 90014 Oulun Yliopisto, Finland
J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 15:383-404. 2010..Five years after implantation, two thirds of children were judged to be as independent as their age peers. We conclude that changes in communication pave the way to benefits in psychosocial development after implantation...
- Dental fear among population aged 30 years and older in FinlandSatu Lahti
Department of Community Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 65:97-102. 2007....
- Genomic diversity in forest treesOuti Savolainen
Department of Biology, FIN 90014, University of Oulu, Finland
Curr Opin Plant Biol 10:162-7. 2007..Detecting traces of selection may be easier in tree populations than in many other species. Association studies between genotypes and phenotypes are proving to be useful tools for functional genomics...
- Outcome and its predictors in schizophrenia within the Northern Finland 1966 Birth CohortE Lauronen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 University of Oulu, Finland
Eur Psychiatry 22:129-36. 2007..We report clinical and social outcomes of schizophrenia in the longitudinal, population-based Northern Finland 1966 Birth Cohort, and describe associated demographic, developmental and illness-related factors...
- Cardiovascular risk in midlife and psychological well-being among older menTimo E Strandberg
Department of Public Health Science and General Practice, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Arch Intern Med 166:2266-71. 2006..We investigated whether cardiovascular disease risk in midlife is related to psychological well-being in older men (aged 69-84 years old)...
- Adolescents' drinking habits predict later occurrence of traumatic brain injury: 35-year follow-up of the northern Finland 1966 birth cohortSatu Winqvist
Department of Neurology, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
J Adolesc Health 39:275.e1-7. 2006..To examine the relationship between adolescents' drinking habits and the risk of traumatic brain injury...
- Relationship between histopathological features and the course of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis/usual interstitial pneumoniaL Tiitto
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Thorax 61:1091-5. 2006..A study was undertaken to analyse FF at diagnosis, to analyse the histopathological findings at necropsy, and to examine their association with the course of the disease...
- Root growth in the permanent teeth of 45,X/46,XX femalesRaija Lähdesmäki
Department of Oral Development and Orthodontics, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Eur J Orthod 28:339-44. 2006..It is suggested that the reduction in crown and root growth in 45,X/4,XX females is due to a deficiency in the amount of dental growth-promoting genes on the sex chromosomes...
- Co-occurrence of personality disorders with mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders in a young adult populationLiisa Kantojärvi
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, Finland
J Pers Disord 20:102-12. 2006..The weighted co-occurrence rate of any PD varied from 28% for mood disorders to 47% for anxiety disorders. PDs, especially those in Cluster C, are highly associated with Axis I psychiatric disorders in population...
- Nasal middle meatal specimen bacteriology as a predictor of the course of acute respiratory infection in childrenAila Kristo
Departments of Otorhinolaryngology, PO Box 5000, University of Oulu, Oulu FIN 90014, Finland
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:108-12. 2006....
- Histologic analysis of bioabsorbable scleral buckling implants: an experimental study on rabbitsSatu Länsman
Department of Ophthalmology, Tampere University of Technology, Finland
Retina 25:1032-8. 2005..To analyze histologically tissue reactions to bioabsorbable PLA96 in rabbit eyes...
- Root growth in the teeth of 46,XY femalesRaija Lähdesmäki
Department of Oral Development and Orthodontics, Institute of Dentistry, University Hospital of Oulu, Finland
Arch Oral Biol 50:947-52. 2005..It is possible that these genes on the Y chromosome are the same that promote tooth crown growth...
- Infant developmental milestones: a 31-year follow-upAnja Taanila
University of Oulu, Department of Public Health Science and General Practice, PO Box 5000, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Dev Med Child Neurol 47:581-6. 2005..4 times greater in faster developers than in slow developers. In conclusion, those who develop faster during their first year of life tend to attain higher levels of education in adolescence and adulthood...
- An infrared spectroscopic method for quantitative analysis of fatty alcohols and fatty acid esters in machinery oilsPekka Vähäoja
Department of Chemistry, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, 90014, Oulu, Finland
Anal Bioanal Chem 383:305-11. 2005..This method was developed to satisfy industry's need to determine the concentrations of these oil additives, and it has already been applied successfully in machinery oil analysis...
- Expanding the lysyl hydroxylase toolbox: new insights into the localization and activities of lysyl hydroxylase 3 (LH3)Raili Myllyla
Department of Biochemistry, Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Finland
J Cell Physiol 212:323-9. 2007..LH3 is able to adjust the amount of hydroxylysine and hydroxylysine-linked carbohydrates of extracellular proteins in their native conformation, suggesting that it may have a role in matrix remodeling...
- Computed tomography severity index and C-reactive protein values predicting mortality in emergency and intensive care units for patients with severe acute pancreatitisJyrki T Mäkelä
Department of Surgery, Division of Gastroenterology, PO Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Am J Surg 194:30-4. 2007..We retrospectively examined the clinical and biochemical factors that may influence the risk of mortality on admission to emergency and intensive care units (ICUs)...
- Dissolved phosphorus levels in fresh municipal wastewaterJarmo T Sallanko
Water Resources and Environmental Engineering Laboratory, University of Oulu, Finland
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 42:1681-3. 2007..The level of dissolved phosphorus in wastewater doubled during half a year of storage. The dissolving of phosphorus was most rapid in the first 10 days when dissolved phosphorus levels increased by approximately 1% per day...
- Has dental caries prevalence some connection with caries index values in adults?M Larmas
University Hospital of Oulu, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Caries Res 44:81-4. 2010..Combining the individual parameters of Oral Health Surveys and diseases of ICD-10, and analyzing the mean value of each parameter separately, will give a precise picture of dental health at different ages...
- Physical activity and body composition changes during military serviceIlona Mikkola
Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, Finland
Med Sci Sports Exerc 41:1735-42. 2009..In addition, this study examined how reported previous physical activity affected the body composition changes...
- Effects of CD14, TLR2, TLR4, LPB, and IL-6 gene polymorphisms on Chlamydia pneumoniae growth in human macrophages in vitroK Poikonen
Department of Medical Microbiology, Institute of Diagnostics, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Scand J Immunol 70:34-9. 2009..018). TLR2 Arg 753Gln, TLR4 Asp299Gly, LBP Phe436Leu polymorphisms showed no effect on chlamydial growth...
- Nicotine dependence is associated with suicide attempts and self-mutilation among adolescent femalesKaisa Riala
Department of Psychiatry, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Compr Psychiatry 50:293-8. 2009..Our aim was to investigate the relationship between ND and various forms of suicidal behavior among adolescent psychiatric inpatients in Finland...
- Factors associated with different measures of dental fear among children at different agesKari Rantavuori
Department of Community Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Dent Child (Chic) 76:13-9. 2009..This study's purpose was to determine the associations between 4 dental fear measures and treatment procedures, oral habits, and family characteristics at different ages...
- Primary tooth wear in functional lateralitiesTuomo Heikkinen
Department of Oral Development and Orthodontics, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Finland
J Dent Child (Chic) 76:5-12. 2009....
- Respiratory symptoms and conditions related to occupational exposures in machine shopsMaritta S Jaakkola
Respiratory Medicine Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, FI 90014, Oulu, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 35:64-73. 2009....
- Time-frequency properties of electroencephalogram during induction of anesthesiaJukka Kortelainen
Department of Electrical and Information Engineering, University of Oulu, Finland
Neurosci Lett 446:70-4. 2008..The method presented has importance in providing information about the neurophysiological phenomenon during induction of anesthesia and can therefore be used in the development of new monitoring algorithms...
- High preoperative plasma TIMP-1 is prognostic for early relapse in primary breast carcinomaPaula Kuvaja
Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Int J Cancer 123:846-51. 2008..In conclusion, preoperative plasma TIMP-1 was found to be a powerful prognostic factor for early systemic relapse in primary breast carcinoma...
- Analysis of large deletions in BRCA1, BRCA2 and PALB2 genes in Finnish breast and ovarian cancer familiesKatri Pylkäs
Laboratory of Cancer Genetics, Oulu University Hospital and University of Oulu Biocenter Oulu, Oulu, Finland
BMC Cancer 8:146. 2008..Here we have evaluated whether large genomic rearrangement in these genes could explain some of Finnish breast and/or ovarian cancer families...
- One-year prospective health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients treated with conservative method, endovascular treatment or open surgery for symptomatic lower limb atherosclerotic diseaseKirsi Koivunen
Department of Nursing Science and Health Administration, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 7:247-56. 2008..There are no many reports on the long-term impacts of different treatments of lower limb atherosclerotic disease (LLAD) on patients' health behaviour, clinical outcome and health-related quality of life (HRQoL)...
- Integration of the group c phage JCL1032 of Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis and complex phage resistance of the hostK A Riipinen
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Appl Microbiol 103:2465-75. 2007..Sequences related to Lactobacillus delbrueckii phage JCL1032 genome integration, the maintenance of lysogeny and putative immunity genes were characterized. Phenotypic changes of the JCL1032 lysogens were investigated...
- Parental alcohol misuse is a powerful predictor for the risk of traumatic brain injury in childhoodSatu Winqvist
Department of Neurology, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Box 25, FIN 90029 OYS, Finland
Brain Inj 21:1079-85. 2007....
- Treatment of ichthyophthiriasis after malachite green. I. Concrete tanks at salmonid farmsPäivi Rintamäki-Kinnunen
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Dis Aquat Organ 64:69-76. 2005..It was also evident that the chemicals and their concentrations must be planned carefully to suit the conditions on each farm...
- [Frostbite and other problems of skin expose to cold]Juhani Hassi
Oulun yliopisto, , Thule Instituutti
Duodecim 121:454-61. 2005
- Additive and non-additive genetic architecture of two different-sized populations of Scabiosa canescensP Waldmann
Department of Systematic Botany, University of Lund, Ostra Vallgatan 14 20, SE 22361, Lund, Sweden
Heredity 86:648-57. 2001....
- Effect of nickel-titanium shape memory metal alloy on bone formationA Kapanen
Biocenter Oulu and Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Oulu, Finland
Biomaterials 22:2475-80. 2001..We conclude that NiTi has good biocompatibility, as its effects on ectopic bone formation are similar to those of Stst, and that the ectopic bone formation assay developed here can be used for biocompatibility studies...
- The haemodynamic effects of losartan after right ventricle infarct in young pigsM Spalding
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital of Oulu, Finland
Pharmacol Toxicol 88:325-30. 2001..We conclude that an inhibition of angiotensin II action may be a benefit in the treatment of right heart failure symptoms during the first hours after right heart infarct...
- Speech perception and functional benefit after cochlear implantation: a multicentre survey in FinlandT T Välimaa
Department of Finnish, Saami and Logopedics, University of Oulu
Scand Audiol 30:112-8. 2001....
- Nerve root infiltration of the first sacral root with MRI guidanceR Ojala
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Oulu, 90220 Oulu, Finland
J Magn Reson Imaging 12:556-61. 2000..2 months) after the procedure and was comparable to that of other studies using fluoroscopy or computed tomography guidance. MR-guided placement of the needle is an accurate technique for first sacral root infiltration...
- SEM search for sound production and sound perception organs in a variety of Drosophila speciesA Hoikkala
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Microsc Res Tech 50:161-8. 2000....
- In vitro inhibition screening of human hepatic P450 enzymes by five angiotensin-II receptor antagonistsP Taavitsainen
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Oulu, Finland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56:135-40. 2000..We investigated potential interactions of losartan, irbesartan, valsartan, eprosartan and candesartan with cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes in human liver microsomes...
- The hemodynamic effects of adenosine infusion after experimental right heart infarct in young swineM B Spalding
Department of Anesthesiology, Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, and University Hospital of Oulu, Finland
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 35:93-9. 2000..Its use may be beneficial in the treatment of increased pulmonary vascular resistance after right-heart failure...
- Dynamic behavior and autonomic regulation of ectopic atrial pacemakersH V Huikuri
University of Oulu, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Oulu, Finland
Circulation 100:1416-22. 1999..We compared the HR variability of tachycardias originating from the ectopic foci and the sinus node...
- Lymphonodular hyperplasia on the duodenal bulb indicates food allergy in childrenJ Kokkonen
Dept of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, Finland
Endoscopy 31:464-7. 1999..This study was designed to assess the significance of LNH and other mucosal lesions of the foregut in diagnosing food allergy and distinguishing it from other clinical pathological states...
- Treatment of mental disorders in seven physicians committing suicideS Lindeman
Department of Mental Health and Alcohol Research of the National Public Health Institute, Helsinki
Crisis 20:86-9. 1999..Current adequate treatment for depression seems to be as rare among physician victims as among suicides with major depressive disorders in the population...
- Myocardial metabolism and hemodynamics during coronary surgery without cardiopulmonary bypassH J Penttilä
Department of Anesthesiology, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Ann Thorac Surg 67:683-8. 1999....
- Similarities between TNF and exogenous oxidants on the cytotoxic response of c-Myc-expressing fibroblasts in vitroV L Kinnula
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Cancer Lett 125:191-8. 1998..The nucleotide depletion likely reflected the action of ROS, since the nucleotide depletion caused by TNF or oxidants such as menadione or H2O2 in cells with active c-Myc was partly inhibited by the anti-oxidant N-acetylcysteine...
- A uniform regimen enables decentralized care of diabetic pregnanciesM Vääräsmäki
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Oulu, Finland
Diabet Med 18:871-6. 2001..The Medical Birth Register (MBR) was used to investigate whether these recommendations have been accepted and how they have affected the outcome of newborns...
- Mechanical properties in long bones of rat osteopetrotic mutationsTimo Jämsä
Department of Medical Technology, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, 90014 Oulu, Finland
J Biomech 35:161-5. 2002..This indicates that the tissue properties of bone material are not changed significantly in osteopetrosis, even if the mechanical strength is decreased at the macroscopic level...
- Regulation of surfactant proteins by LPS and proinflammatory cytokines in fetal and newborn lungOuti Vayrynen
Department of Pediatrics, Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282:L803-10. 2002..We propose that IL-1 from extrapulmonary sources induces the SPs in premature lung and is responsible for the decreased risk of RDS in intra-amniotic infection...
- Recovery from schizophrenic psychoses within the northern Finland 1966 Birth CohortErika Lauronen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014, Oulu, Finland
J Clin Psychiatry 66:375-83. 2005..Because of widely disparate findings from follow-up studies, the likelihood of recovery from schizophrenia remains controversial. We report the extent of recovery from schizophrenia in a population-based cohort...
- Colonisation and diversification of the blue tits (Parus caeruleus teneriffae-group) in the Canary IslandsL Kvist
Department of Biology, POB 3000, University of Oulu, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Mol Phylogenet Evol 34:501-11. 2005..In addition, the teneriffae subspecies group is clearly distinct from the European caeruleus group, and therefore the blue tit assemblage should be divided into two species...
- [Research of psychotherapy is clinical research]Matti Uhari
OYS:n lastentautien klinikka, Oulun yliopisto
Duodecim 120:2617-8. 2004
- Recovery of shoulder joint function after humeral shaft fracture: a comparative study between antegrade intramedullary nailing and plate fixationTapio Flinkkilä
Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, University Hospital, Kajaanintie 52, 90220 Oulu, Finland
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 124:537-41. 2004..This retrospective study compared shoulder joint symptoms, range of motion (ROM), and isometric strength after antegrade IM nailing and dynamic compression (DC) plating of humeral shaft fractures...
- Is a large family a protective factor against behavioural and emotional problems at the age of 8 years?A Taanila
Department of Public Health Science and General Practice, University of Oulu, Finland
Acta Paediatr 93:508-17. 2004..To study the prevalence of behavioural and emotional problems among children from different family types, sibship size and birth order...
- Selective inhibition of CYP2B6-catalyzed bupropion hydroxylation in human liver microsomes in vitroMiia Turpeinen
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, P O Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Oulun yliopisto, Finland
Drug Metab Dispos 32:626-31. 2004..Thus, thioTEPA is a drug of choice when high CYP2B6 selectivity among major P450 enzymes is required. Ticlopidine is a useful alternative under a controlled experimental setup and when higher potency is needed...
- First trimester uterine, placental and yolk sac haemodynamics in pre-eclampsia and preterm labourK Mäkikallio
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Oulu, 90220 Oulu, Finland
Hum Reprod 19:729-33. 2004..We hypothesized that impaired trophoblast invasion leads to umbilicoplacental blood flow disturbances that could be detected by Doppler ultrasonography during the first trimester of the pregnancy...
- Deciduous tooth crown size in prematurely born childrenVirpi Harila
Department of Oral Development and Orthodontics, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, PL 5281, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Early Hum Dev 75:9-20. 2003..The purpose of our study was to examine deciduous tooth crown size in preterm children...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae and aortic aneurysmsTatu Juvonen
Division of Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Oulu, PL 21, FI-90029 OYS, Oulu, Finland
Scand Cardiovasc J 36:327-8. 2002
- Population structure of a parasitic plant and its perennial hostP Mutikainen
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, PO Box 3000, FIN 90014 University of Oulu, Finland
Heredity 89:318-24. 2002..Furthermore, host and parasite genetic distance matrices were uncorrelated, suggesting that sites with genetically similar host populations are unlikely to have genetically similar parasite populations...
- Cardiac abnormalities in patients with mitochondrial DNA mutation 3243A>GKirsi Majamaa-Voltti
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2:12. 2002..Cardiac abnormalities have been described in many cases, but their frequency and clinical spectrum among patients with mtDNA mutations is unknown...
- Temporomandibular disorders, occlusion, and neck pain in subjects with facial pain: a case-control studyKirsi Sipilä
Dept of Prosthetic Dentistry and Stomatognathic Physiology, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Finland
Cranio 20:158-64. 2002..The present study shows that as well as being connected with TMD, facial pain is associated with pain and muscle tenderness in the neck area...
- Strategies for spinal cord protection during descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic surgery: Up-to-date experimental and clinical results -- a reviewTatu Juvonen
Department of Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Scand Cardiovasc J 36:136-60. 2002
- Antiarrhythmic effect of repeated coronary occlusion during balloon angioplastyK E Airaksinen
Cardiovascular Laboratory, Department of Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
J Am Coll Cardiol 29:1035-8. 1997..The purpose of the present study was to assess whether brief, repeated coronary artery occlusions during balloon angioplasty protect against ischemia-induced ventricular ectopy...