- Individual and Joint Impacts of Ethanol Use, BMI, Age and Gender on Serum Gamma-Glutamyltransferase Levels in Healthy VolunteersJoanna Danielsson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinajoki Central Hospital, and University of Tampere, Seinajoki 60220, Finland
Int J Mol Sci 14:11929-41. 2013..In light of the ability of GGT enzyme to modulate crucial redox-sensitive functions, the present findings also support the use of GGT as a biomarker of oxidative stress...
- Dose- and gender-dependent interactions between coffee consumption and serum GGT activity in alcohol consumersJoanna Danielsson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinäjoki Central Hospital and University of Tampere, Hanneksenrinne 7, 60220 Seinajoki, Finland
Alcohol Alcohol 48:303-7. 2013..To explore the relationship and dose response, we assessed the impacts of coffee and alcohol intake on serum GGT activity in apparently healthy men and women with varying levels of coffee and alcohol consumption...
- Effect of age and gender on the relationship between alcohol consumption and serum GGT: time to recalibrate goals for normal rangesJoanna Tynjälä
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinajoki Central Hospital, University of Tampere, Seinäjoki FIN 60220, Finland
Alcohol Alcohol 47:558-62. 2012..Therefore, further information on the associations between ethanol intake and GGT activities in apparently healthy individuals appears warranted...
- Modification of carbonic anhydrase II with acetaldehyde, the first metabolite of ethanol, leads to decreased enzyme activityFatemeh Bootorabi
Institute of Medical Technology, Tampere University Hospital, 33520 Tampere, Finland
BMC Biochem 9:32. 2008....
- Biomarkers of alcohol consumption and related liver diseaseOnni Niemela
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinäjoki Central Hospital and University of Tampere, Seinajoki, Finland
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 70:305-12. 2010....
- Biomarkers in alcoholismOnni Niemela
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinäjoki Central Hospital and University of Tampere, FIN 60220 Seinäjoki, Finland
Clin Chim Acta 377:39-49. 2007....
- Serum gamma-glutamyl transferase in alcoholics, moderate drinkers and abstainers: effect on gt reference intervals at population levelJohanna Hietala
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinajoki Central Hospital, and University of Tampere, FIN 60220 Seinäjoki, Finland
Alcohol Alcohol 40:511-4. 2005..To clarify in the association between amount of ethanol consumption and serum gamma-glutamyl transferase (GT) levels...
- Alcoholic macrocytosis--is there a role for acetaldehyde and adducts?Onni Niemela
EP Central Hospital, Laboratory and the Department of Clinical Chemistry, and Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Finland
Addict Biol 9:3-10. 2004..Elevated adduct levels have been found from the erythrocytes of alcohol abusers, which may also be associated with ethanol-induced effects in haematopoiesis and adverse consequences in cellular functions...
- Generation of aldehyde-derived protein modifications in ethanol-exposed heartOnni Niemela
Etela Pohjanmaa Central Hospital Laboratory, Department of Clinical Chemistry and Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Finland
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1987-92. 2003..We hypothesized that posttranslational covalent binding of reactive molecular species to proteins occurs in the heart in response to acute ethanol exposure...
- Effect of Kupffer cell inactivation on ethanol-induced protein adducts in the liverOnni Niemela
Laboratory Medicine, EP Central Hospital, Seinajoki, Finland
Free Radic Biol Med 33:350-5. 2002..The data indicates that Kupffer cells are involved in the generation of protein adducts with both acetaldehyde and ethanol-induced lipid peroxidation products in alcoholic liver disease...
- Distribution of ethanol-induced protein adducts in vivo: relationship to tissue injuryO Niemela
EP Central Hospital Laboratory, Seinajoki, Finland
Free Radic Biol Med 31:1533-8. 2001..Elevated adduct levels also occur in erythrocytes of alcoholics, which may be related to ethanol-induced morphological aberrations in hematopoiesis...
- Induction of cytochrome P450 enzymes and generation of protein-aldehyde adducts are associated with sex-dependent sensitivity to alcohol-induced liver disease in micropigsO Niemela
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Oulu, Helsinki, Finland
Hepatology 30:1011-7. 1999..It appears that the premature, juvenile, metabolic phenotype, as induced by castration, favors liver damage. The present findings should be implicated in studies on the gender differences on the adverse effects of ethanol in the liver...
- Aldehyde-protein adducts in the liver as a result of ethanol-induced oxidative stressO Niemela
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Oulu, FIN 90220 Oulu, and EP Central Hospital Laboratory, Seinajoki, Finland
Front Biosci 4:D506-13. 1999..Dietary supplementation with fat and/or iron strikingly increases the amount of aldehyde-derived epitopes in the liver together with promotion of fibrogenesis...
- Obesity and the clinical use of serum GGT activity as a marker of heavy drinkingK Puukka
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Research Unit, Seinajoki Central Hospital, Seinajoki, Finland
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 67:480-8. 2007..However, although obesity may also elevate serum GGT activities, the effects of overweight on the interpretation of GGT testing have remained poorly defined...
- HFE mutations do not account for transfusional iron overload in patients with acute myeloid leukemiaS Parkkila
Department of Anatomy, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Transfusion 41:828-31. 2001..This would identify C282Y homozygotes, who have a high risk of developing severe iron overload...