Affiliation: National Public Health Institute
- emm typing of invasive T28 group A streptococci, 1995-2004, FinlandTuula Siljander
Hospital Bacteria Laboratory, Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, FIN 00300, Helsinki, Finland
J Med Microbiol 55:1701-6. 2006..emm typing revealed T28 isolates to be a genetically heterogeneous group harbouring a variety of distinct M proteins. This study confirms that T serotyping alone is not a sufficient method for epidemiological surveillance of iGAS...
- Acute bacterial, nonnecrotizing cellulitis in Finland: microbiological findingsTuula Siljander
Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Infect Dis 46:855-61. 2008..Bacterial, nonnecrotizing cellulitis is a localized and often recurrent infection of the skin. The aim of this study was to identify the beta-hemolytic streptococci that cause acute nonnecrotizing cellulitis infection in Finland...
- Rapid emergence of emm84 among invasive Streptococcus pyogenes infections in FinlandTuula Siljander
Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, Hospital Bacteria Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 47:477-80. 2009..The overall case fatality rate of infections caused by strains carrying emm84 was not significantly different than that of infections caused by other types (7% versus 10%, respectively; P = 0.50)...
- Complement factor H allotype 402H is associated with increased C3b opsonization and phagocytosis of Streptococcus pyogenesKarita Haapasalo
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, HUSLAB, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Mol Microbiol 70:583-94. 2008....
- Genetic susceptibility to non-necrotizing erysipelas/cellulitisKatariina Hannula-Jouppi
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Helsinki, and Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 8:e56225. 2013..Host genetic factors influence infection susceptibility but no extensive studies on the genetic determinants of human erysipelas exist...
- Epidemiology of severe Streptococcus pyogenes disease in EuropeTheresa L Lamagni
Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 46:2359-67. 2008..pyogenes disease in Europe. Furthermore, these results have identified targets for public health intervention, as well as raising awareness of severe S. pyogenes disease across Europe...
- Binding of complement regulators factor H and C4b binding protein to group A streptococcal strains isolated from tonsillar tissue and bloodJari Suvilehto
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Lohja Hospital, Helsinki University Hospital, Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Sairaalatie 8, Lohja, Finland
Microbes Infect 10:757-63. 2008..The results indicate that complement regulator binding by GAS is only partially related to pathogenicity and not a universal property of all group A streptococci...