Affiliation: National Veterinary and Food Research Institute
- Persistence in bovine mastitis of Staphylococcus aureus clones as assessed by random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis, ribotyping and biotypingV Myllys
National Veterinary and Food Research Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Vet Microbiol 57:245-51. 1997..The molecular methods differentiated the 40 isolates into 6 distinct genotypes. Biotyping produced partially identical results to RAPD and ribotyping. A commercial diagnostic test system identified only 3 S. aureus biotypes...
- Bovine mastitis in Finland in 1988 and 1995--changes in prevalence and antimicrobial resistanceV Myllys
National Veterinary and Food Research Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland
Acta Vet Scand 39:119-26. 1998..Multiresistance also increased, but it was proportional to the overall increase in resistance. All the predominant mastitis streptococci were susceptible to beta-lactams tested...
- Bovine mastitis in Finland 2001--prevalence, distribution of bacteria, and antimicrobial resistanceA Pitkälä
National Veterinary and Food Research Institute, EELA, PB 45, FIN 00581 Helsinki, Finland
J Dairy Sci 87:2433-41. 2004..1 and 32.0% for Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative staphylococci, respectively). Streptococci isolated from mastitis were very susceptible to beta-lactam antibiotics, as also found in the previous survey in 1995...
- The effect of antimicrobial growth promoter withdrawal on the health of weaned pigs in FinlandT Laine
National Veterinary and Food Research Institute EELA, P O Box 45, 00581 Helsinki, Finland
Prev Vet Med 66:163-74. 2004..In this study, the Escherichia coli infection was the most-common cause of diarrhoea in weaned pigs. The age at weaning did not change after the withdrawal of AGPs...
- Diversity and stability of the Staphylococcus intermedius flora in three bitches and their puppiesL E M Saijonmaa-Koulumies
Dermatology Unit, Royal Veterinary College, UK
Epidemiol Infect 131:931-7. 2003..The study indicates that S. intermedius flora within each studied bitch mainly consisted of one or two dominating and persistent clones, which were transferred from the dam to her puppies immediately after birth...
- Simultaneous real-time PCR detection of Bacillus anthracis, Francisella tularensis and Yersinia pestisT Skottman
BC Defence and Environmental Health Unit, Centre of Military Medicine and Centre for Biological Threat Preparedness, Tukholmankatu 8A, 00290 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:207-11. 2007..These assays may provide a rapid tool for the simultaneous detection and identification of the three category A bacterial species listed as biological threats by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...