Affiliation: National Public Health Institute
- Did Finland's Tobacco Control Act of 1976 have an impact on ever smoking? An examination based on male and female cohort trendsS Helakorpi
National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 58:649-54. 2004..To examine patterns of ever smoking among Finnish adults by gender and birth cohort from 1978 to 2001, with special emphasis on the possible effects of the 1976 Tobacco Control Act (TCA)...
- Impact of the 1976 Tobacco Control Act in Finland on the proportion of ever daily smokers by socioeconomic statusSatu Helakorpi
National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166, FI 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Prev Med 46:340-5. 2008..To assess the impact of the 1976 Tobacco Control Act (TCA) on smoking initiation across socioeconomic groups...
- Development of smoking by birth cohort in the adult population in eastern Finland 1972-97M Laaksonen
National Public Health Institute, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Helsinki, Finland
Tob Control 8:161-8. 1999..To analyse the dynamics of smoking prevalence, initiation, and cessation in relation to sex, age, birth cohort, study year, and educational level...
- Trends of socioeconomic differences in daily vegetable consumption, 1979-2002E Roos
Folkhalsan Research Center, Health Promotional Programme, Paasikivenkatu 4, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:823-33. 2008....
- Associations between health-related behaviors: a 7-year follow-up of adultsMikko Laaksonen
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Health Education Research Unit, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Prev Med 34:162-70. 2002..The study examines pairwise associations between smoking, alcohol use, physical activity, dietary behavior and body mass index using long-term follow-up data of Finnish adults...
- Changes and associations in healthy diet among the Finnish elderly, 1985-2001Tommi Sulander
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 160, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Age Ageing 32:394-400. 2003..The aim of this study was to monitor any recent changes in healthy diet among the 65- to 79-year-old population of Finnish citizens. Possible disparities in 5-year age groups, occupation and marital status were examined...
- Health behaviours as explanations for educational level differences in cardiovascular and all-cause mortality: a follow-up of 60 000 men and women over 23 yearsMikko Laaksonen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Public Health 18:38-43. 2008..We examined the extent to which seven health behaviours covering dietary habits, smoking and physical activity, can account for relative differences in cardiovascular and all-cause mortality by educational level...
- Higher smoking prevalence in urban compared to non-urban areas: time trends in six European countriesBerlian I Idris
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Place 13:702-12. 2007..There were no significant differences in annual rate of change in smoking prevalence between non-urban and urban areas...
- 25-year trends and socio-demographic differences in response rates: Finnish adult health behaviour surveyHanna Tolonen
Department of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Epidemiol 21:409-15. 2006....
- Eighteen-year trends in obesity among the elderlyTommi Sulander
Age Ageing 33:632-5. 2004
- Prevalence of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke at work and at home--15-year trends in FinlandPekka Jousilahti
University of Helsinki, Department of Public Health, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 28:16-20. 2002..This study describes the 15-year trends of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke at work and at home in Finland...
- Smoking and alcohol consumption among the elderly: trends and associations, 1985-2001Tommi Sulander
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Prev Med 39:413-8. 2004..This study examined changes in smoking and alcohol consumption and their sociodemographic patterning among the Finnish population aged 65-79 years over the period 1985-2001...
- Sources of medicine information in FinlandUlla Närhi
Planning for Pharmaceutical Policies, National Agency for Medicines, PO Box 55, 00301 Helsinki, Finland
Health Policy 84:51-7. 2007..To identify differences in reported sources of medicine information between age groups and genders in one European country (Finland)...
- Does a slump really make you thinner? Finnish micro-level evidence 1978-2002Petri Böckerman
Labour Institute for Economic Research, Helsinki, Finland
Health Econ 16:103-7. 2007..The Finnish evidence presented does not support the conclusions reported for the USA, according to which temporary economic slowdowns are good for health. In contrast, at least BMI seems to increase during slumps...