Affiliation: National Public Health Institute
- Validated method for the quantitation of quercetin from human plasma using high-performance liquid chromatography with electrochemical detectionI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 727:179-89. 1999..No free quercetin was detected in plasma and no evidence of significant amounts of quercetin glycosides in plasma was found...
- Favorable effects of berry consumption on platelet function, blood pressure, and HDL cholesterolIris Erlund
Biomarker Laboratory, Department of Health and Functional Capacity, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 87:323-31. 2008..Whether the consumption of berries has similar effects is unknown...
- Bioavailability of quercetin from berries and the dietIris Erlund
Department of Health and Functional Capacity, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Nutr Cancer 54:13-7. 2006..The results showed that plasma quercetin is bioavailable from a diet containing berries and indicate that it may be a good biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake in general...
- Consumption of black currants, lingonberries and bilberries increases serum quercetin concentrationsI Erlund
Biomarker Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:37-42. 2003..To study serum quercetin concentrations of subjects consuming berries or habitual Finnish diets...
- Plasma concentrations of the flavonoids hesperetin, naringenin and quercetin in human subjects following their habitual diets, and diets high or low in fruit and vegetablesI Erlund
Biomarker Laboratory, National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:891-8. 2002..To investigate whether plasma concentrations of flavanones can serve as biomarkers of their intake...
- Plasma kinetics and urinary excretion of the flavanones naringenin and hesperetin in humans after ingestion of orange juice and grapefruit juiceI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166 F, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 131:235-41. 2001..We conclude that because of the relatively high concentrations of flavanones in plasma after ingestion of orange juice or grapefruit juice, considerable health effects could ensue in individuals consuming them regularly...
- Pharmacokinetics of quercetin from quercetin aglycone and rutin in healthy volunteersI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56:545-53. 2000..It mainly occurs in plants as glycosides, such as rutin (quercetin rutinoside) in tea. Quercetin and rutin are used in many countries as vasoprotectants and are ingredients of numerous multivitamin preparations and herbal remedies...
- Bioavailability of various polyphenols from a diet containing moderate amounts of berriesRaika Koli
Disease Risk Unit, Department of Chronic Disease Prevention, National Institute for Health and Welfare THL, Helsinki, Finland
J Agric Food Chem 58:3927-32. 2010..05). In conclusion, a number of polyphenols are bioavailable from a diet containing moderate amounts of blue and red berries...
- Coffee does not modify postprandial glycaemic and insulinaemic responses induced by carbohydratesKatja A Hätönen
Department of Lifestyles and Participation, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Mannerheimintie 166, 00271, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Nutr 51:801-6. 2012..Strong epidemiological evidence suggests that coffee consumption is associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes. In postprandial studies, however, caffeine consumption has been associated with impaired glucose regulation...
- Serum enterolactone concentration and the risk of coronary heart disease in a case-cohort study of Finnish male smokersAnnamari Kilkkinen
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Epidemiol 163:687-93. 2006..67 (95% CI: 0.37, 1.23; p(trend) = 0.10) and 0.57 (95% CI: 0.26, 1.25; p(trend) = 0.18), respectively. In conclusion, only weak support for the association between serum enterolactone concentration and coronary heart disease was found...
- High intakes of vegetables, berries, and apples combined with a high intake of linoleic or oleic acid only slightly affect markers of lipid peroxidation and lipoprotein metabolism in healthy subjectsRiitta Freese
University of Helsinki, Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, Division of Nutrition, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 76:950-60. 2002..The pathophysiology of these diseases involves free radical mechanisms. Diet may either enhance or diminish oxidative stress in the body...