Affiliation: National Public Health Institute
- Folate intake, plasma folate and homocysteine status in a random Finnish populationG Alfthan
Department of Health and Functional Capacity, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:81-8. 2003..To assess the folate status of Finnish adults using plasma folate and homocysteine as biomarkers and to evaluate dietary and supplementary folate intakes...
- The effect of high-fiber rye bread enriched with nonesterified plant sterols on major serum lipids and apolipoproteins in normocholesterolemic individualsP P Söderholm
Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Haartmaninkatu 8, Helsinki, Finland
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 22:575-82. 2012....
- Are serum α- and β-carotene concentrations associated with the development of advanced beta-cell autoimmunity in children with increased genetic susceptibility to type 1 diabetes?M Prasad
Nutrition Unit, Department of Lifestyle and Participation, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes Metab 37:162-7. 2011..This study aimed to assess the associations between serum α- and β-carotene concentrations, and the risk of advanced beta-cell autoimmunity, in children with HLA-conferred susceptibility to type 1 diabetes...
- Homocysteine and major coronary events: a prospective population study amongst womenP Knekt
Department of Nutrition and Department of Health and Disability, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
J Intern Med 249:461-5. 2001..To study serum homocysteine concentration for its prediction of major coronary heart disease events amongst women...
- Pharmacokinetics of quercetin from quercetin aglycone and rutin in healthy volunteersI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56:545-53. 2000..It mainly occurs in plants as glycosides, such as rutin (quercetin rutinoside) in tea. Quercetin and rutin are used in many countries as vasoprotectants and are ingredients of numerous multivitamin preparations and herbal remedies...
- Plasma kinetics and urinary excretion of the flavanones naringenin and hesperetin in humans after ingestion of orange juice and grapefruit juiceI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166 F, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 131:235-41. 2001..We conclude that because of the relatively high concentrations of flavanones in plasma after ingestion of orange juice or grapefruit juice, considerable health effects could ensue in individuals consuming them regularly...
- Hyperhomocystinemia: a risk factor or a consequence of coronary heart disease?P Knekt
National Public Health, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Arch Intern Med 161:1589-94. 2001..Mild hyperhomocystinemia has been suggested as an indicator of an increased risk of cardiovascular disease...
- Rye bread intake improves oxidation resistance of LDL in healthy humansP P Söderholm
Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum C315a, PO Box 63, FI 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Atherosclerosis 221:583-6. 2012..The capacity of LDL to resist oxidation can be determined ex vivo by exposing isolated LDL particles to copper ions and measuring the formation of conjugated dienes by spectrophotometry...
- Consumption of black currants, lingonberries and bilberries increases serum quercetin concentrationsI Erlund
Biomarker Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:37-42. 2003..To study serum quercetin concentrations of subjects consuming berries or habitual Finnish diets...
- Selenium metabolism and platelet glutathione peroxidase activity in healthy Finnish men: effects of selenium yeast, selenite, and selenateG Alfthan
Department of Biochemistry, National Public Health Institute, Kansanterveyslaitos, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 53:120-5. 1991..25-1.45 mumol/L. At the present selenium intake in Finland, 100 micrograms/d, GSHPx activity is saturated in plasma and red cells and almost saturated in platelets...
- Cardiovascular risk factor changes in Finland, 1972-1997E Vartiainen
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Epidemiol 29:49-56. 2000..Subsequently, a national cardiovascular risk factors monitoring system was developed to assess the effectiveness of the national strategy...
- Validated method for the quantitation of quercetin from human plasma using high-performance liquid chromatography with electrochemical detectionI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 727:179-89. 1999..No free quercetin was detected in plasma and no evidence of significant amounts of quercetin glycosides in plasma was found...
- Risk factors for cryptogenic ischaemic strokeV Karttunen
Department of Neurology, Oulu University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Neurol 9:625-32. 2002..Several of the observed risk factors for cryptogenic brain infarction were lifestyle-associated, which emphasizes the role of health education in addition to pharmacological treatment in the prevention of stroke...
- Relation of inflammation to vascular function in patients with coronary heart diseaseJ Sinisalo
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, The Helsinki University Central Hospital, Meilahti 15krs, Haartmaninkatu 4, FIN 00290, Helsinki, Finland
Atherosclerosis 149:403-11. 2000..It is possible that endothelial dysfunction in coronary heart disease patients is related to the chronic inflammation or infection coexisting with atherosclerosis...
- Serum fatty acids and risk of advanced beta-cell autoimmunity: a nested case-control study among children with HLA-conferred susceptibility to type I diabetesS M Virtanen
Nutrition Unit, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:792-9. 2010....
- Plasma concentrations of the flavonoids hesperetin, naringenin and quercetin in human subjects following their habitual diets, and diets high or low in fruit and vegetablesI Erlund
Biomarker Laboratory, National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:891-8. 2002..To investigate whether plasma concentrations of flavanones can serve as biomarkers of their intake...
- Polymorphisms of key enzymes in homocysteine metabolism affect diet responsiveness of plasma homocysteine in healthy womenM L Silaste
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Kajaanintie 50, FIN 90220 Oulu, Finland
J Nutr 131:2643-7. 2001..The 844ins68 of CBS gene did not affect plasma tHcy concentrations or diet responsiveness. In conclusion, diet responsiveness of plasma homocysteine may be genetically regulated...
- Homocysteine as a risk factor for CVD mortality in men with other CVD risk factors: the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor (KIHD) StudyJ K Virtanen
Research Institute of Public Health, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
J Intern Med 257:255-62. 2005..The purpose of the study was to explore the joint effect of increased serum tHcy concentration and other risk factors on the risk of CVD mortality in middle-aged men without a history of heart disease or stroke...