- Visceral fat and psychosocial stress in identical twins discordant for obesityJ Marniemi
Research and Development Centre of the Social Insurance Institution, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Intern Med 251:35-43. 2002..Our objectives were to study the association between psychosocial stress, obesity and body fat distribution when genetic factors are identical...
- Serum lipids, lipoproteins, and lipid metabolizing enzymes in identical twins discordant for obesityT Ronnemaa
Department of Medicine, University of Turku, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2792-9. 1998..016) in obese co-twins with high AVF. When genetic factors are identical, obesity is associated with an atherogenic lipid profile, especially in subjects with high visceral fat accumulation...
- Follow-ups of the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study in 2001 and 2007: levels and 6-year changes in risk factorsJ R H Raiko
Department of Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Intern Med 267:370-84. 2010..To examine cardiovascular risk factor levels in 2007 and their 6-year changes between 2001 and 2007 using the data collected in the follow-ups of the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study...
- Migration at early age from a high to a lower coronary heart disease risk country lowers the risk of subclinical atherosclerosis in middle-aged menL Jartti
Department of Geriatric Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Intern Med 265:345-58. 2009..In Sweden, CHD risk has been markedly lower than in Finland from where a large migration occurred in the 1970s...
- Population-based twin study of the effects of migration from Finland to Sweden on endothelial function and intima-media thicknessL Jartti
Department of Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:832-7. 2002..We conclude that in Finnish monozygous twins the endothelial function is better among the twins that have migrated to a country with lower CHD prevalence...
- Role of skeletal muscle-fibre type in regulation of glucose metabolism in middle-aged subjects with impaired glucose tolerance during a long-term exercise and dietary interventionM Venojarvi
Department of Physiology, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:745-54. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the role of skeletal muscle fibre type in the regulation of glucose metabolism in middle-aged obese subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) during a 2-year exercise and dietary intervention...