- The fixation properties of carbon fiber-reinforced liquid crystalline polymer implant in bone: an experimental study in rabbitsJ Kettunen
Department of Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Biomed Mater Res 56:137-43. 2001..The strength of the bone/implant interface appeared to be quite low, similar to other uncoated or nonporous implants, but it was found to increase with time...
- Percutaneous bone grafting in the treatment of the delayed union and non-union of tibial fracturesJ Kettunen
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Kuopio University Hospital, 70211, Kuopio, Finland
Injury 33:239-45. 2002..It is safe, time saving and economical, it involves minimal trauma at the fracture site and it avoids major donor site problems...
- Obesity has a negative impact on clinical outcome after total knee arthroplastyJ Jarvenpaa
University of Eastern Finland, Faculty of Health Sciences, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Surg 101:198-203. 2012..On the other hand it has also been reported similar results for obese and non-obese patients. The purpose of this study was to analyze clinically and radiologically the results of total knee artrhoplasty in obese patients...
- Perioperative complications after cemented or uncemented hemiarthroplasty in hip fracture patientsT Yli-Kyyny
Department of Orthopaedics, Traumatology and Hand Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Surg 102:124-8. 2013..However, the cementing process carries a risk of fat embolism and cardiovascular problems. This study attempted to determine whether these complications can be avoided when using a modern uncemented stem...
- Obesity may impair the early outcome of total knee arthroplastyJ Jarvenpaa
Faculty of Medicine, Bone and Cartilage Unit, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Surg 99:45-9. 2010..In this study we compared short-term outcome of total knee arthroplasty (TKA) in non-obese and obese patients...
- Bone mineral density after the removal of intramedullary nails: a cross-sectional and longitudinal studyH Kroger
Department of Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Orthop Sci 7:325-30. 2002..Although the present results do not suggest special recommendations for restricted weight bearing after the removal of IM nails, the relationship between decreased bone density and increased risk of fractures should be borne in mind...
- Surgical treatment of ankle and foot fractures in the elderlyJ Kettunen
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Osteoporos Int 16:S103-6. 2005..In the elderly, the preoperative evaluation of the peripheral blood supply is essential to avoid wound healing complications. We review here the surgical treatment of ankle and foot fractures with special reference to elderly patients...
- Pedicled gastrocnemius flap in complicated total knee arthroplastyA Papp
Department of Plastic Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Surg 92:156-9. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of complicated total knee arthroplasty operations treated with radical wound revision and a pedicled gastrocnemius muscle flap...
- Endoprosthetic treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in the year 2000H Miettinen
Department of Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Ann Chir Gynaecol 88:44-7. 1999..For active elderly patients with a much younger physiologic than actual age and living a fully independent life, cemented bipolar or total hip arthroplasty should be preferred to unipolar arthroplasty in the year 2 000...