Affiliation: Helsinki University Central Hospital
- Bone health and growth in glucocorticoid-treated patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritisHelena Valta
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Metabolic Bone Clinic, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Rheumatol 34:831-6. 2007..To evaluate bone health and growth and their correlates in glucocorticoid (GC)-treated pediatric patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)...
- Bone health in children and adolescents after renal transplantationHelena Valta
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Department of Pediatric Nephrology and Transplantation, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Bone Miner Res 24:1699-708. 2009..The observed BMD results were satisfactory. However, the high (8%) prevalence of vertebral fractures warrants careful evaluation of bone health in these patients...
- The thoracic and lumbar spine in severe juvenile idiopathic arthritis: magnetic resonance imaging analysis in 50 childrenSanna Toiviainen-Salo
Department of Radiology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Pediatr 160:140-6. 2012..To determine the prevalence of vertebral fractures as a complication of juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)...
- Impaired bone health in inflammatory bowel disease: a case-control study in 80 pediatric patientsSaila Laakso
Children s Hospital, Helsinki University Central Hospital and University of Helsinki, P O Box 281, 00029 Helsinki, Finland
Calcif Tissue Int 91:121-30. 2012..02). IBD in childhood was associated with low aBMD and reduced bone mass accrual relative to muscle mass; the risk for subclinical VFs may be increased. These observations warrant careful follow-up and active preventive measures...
- Pubertal development is normal in adolescents after renal transplantation in childhoodJuuso Tainio
Children s Hospital, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Transplantation 92:404-9. 2011..This study was conducted to evaluate the pubertal development in adolescents after renal transplantation (RTx) in childhood...
- Incidence and predictors of fractures in children after solid organ transplantation: a 5-year prospective, population-based studyIlkka Helenius
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Bone Miner Res 21:380-7. 2006..35 fractures/1000 persons/year; p < 0.001) in the study group compared with the control population. Thus, screening of vertebral fractures at regular intervals is recommended, and preventive strategies should be studied...
- Bone densitometry in the diagnosis of vertebral fractures in children: accuracy of vertebral fracture assessmentMervi K Mäyränpää
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
Bone 41:353-9. 2007..It is unknown whether the method could be used in pediatrics. This study evaluated the diagnostic accuracy of DXA images in vertebral fracture assessment (VFA) in children...