Affiliation: Helsinki University Central Hospital
- Nurses' and physicians' educational needs in seclusion and restraint practicesRaija Kontio
University of Turku, Department of Nursing Science, Turku, Finland
Perspect Psychiatr Care 45:198-207. 2009..This study aimed to explore nurses' (N= 22) and physicians' (N= 5) educational needs in the context of their perceived seclusion and restraint-related mode of action and need for support...
- Patient restrictions: are there ethical alternatives to seclusion and restraint?Raija Kontio
University of Turku, Turku, Finland, and Kellokoski Hospital, Tuusula, Finland
Nurs Ethics 17:65-76. 2010....
- Impact of eLearning course on nurses' professional competence in seclusion and restraint practices: 9-month follow-up results of a randomized controlled study (ISRCTN32869544)R Kontio
Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Hyvinkää Hospital Region, Kellokoski Hospital, Tuusula, Finland
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 20:411-8. 2013..Net course. The ePsychNurse.Net should be further developed and its future modifications will require additional studies, probably with some new outcome measures...
- Impact of eLearning course on nurses' professional competence in seclusion and restraint practices: a randomized controlled study (ISRCTN32869544)R Kontio
Department of Psychiatry, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 18:813-21. 2011..Although the ePsychNurse.Net demonstrated only slight advantages over conventional learning, it may be worth further development with, e.g. flexible time schedule and individualized content...
- Does primary care mental health resourcing affect the use and costs of secondary psychiatric services?Minna Sadeniemi
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Porvoo Health Care Area, Porvoon psykiatrian poliklinikka, Kaivokatu 37, FI 06100 Porvoo, Finland
Int J Environ Res Public Health 11:8743-54. 2014..The results suggest that when aiming at equal access of care and cost-efficiency, the primary and secondary care should be organized and planned with integrative collaboration. ..
- Seclusion and restraint in psychiatry: patients' experiences and practical suggestions on how to improve practices and use alternativesRaija Kontio
Department of Psychiatry, University of Turku, Department of Nursing Science, Turku, Finland
Perspect Psychiatr Care 48:16-24. 2012..This study explored psychiatric inpatients' experiences of, and their suggestions for, improvement of seclusion/restraint, and alternatives to their use in Finland...
- eLearning course may shorten the duration of mechanical restraint among psychiatric inpatients: a cluster-randomized trialRaija Kontio
Raija Kontio, Ph D, Assistant Chief of Department of Psychiatry, Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Hyvinkää Hospital Region, Kellokoski Hospital, Finland
Nord J Psychiatry 68:443-9. 2014..Well structured, IT-based educational programmes (eLearning) often ensure quality and may make training more affordable and accessible...
- Toward a safer working environment on psychiatric wards: service users' delayed perspectives of aggression and violence-related situations and development ideasRaija Kontio
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Kellokoski, Tuusula, Finland
Perspect Psychiatr Care 50:271-9. 2014..To explore service users' (n = 9) delayed perceptions of and suggestions for improvement of management of aggression/violence in psychiatry...
- Size matters - determinants of modern, community-oriented mental health servicesTaina Ala-Nikkola
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Region, Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Välskärinkatu 12, FI 00029 HUS, Finland
Int J Environ Res Public Health 11:8456-74. 2014..In terms of service organization, the results may support larger population bases, at least 150,000 adult inhabitants, when aiming for higher diversity. ..
- Knowledge transfer from an e-learning course to clinical practiceMari Lahti
University of Turku, Department of Nursing Science, Turku, Finland Electronic address
Nurse Educ Today 34:842-7. 2014..Continuing education is essential in improving practical psychiatric nursing skills. However, little is known about how knowledge gained in continuing education is transferred to nurses' daily work...