Affiliation: Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
- Synthesizing study results in a systematic reviewJos Verbeek
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Cochrane Occupational Safety and Health Review Group, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 38:282-90. 2012..In its original form, the review showed strong evidence of no effect, but our re-analysis concluded there is evidence of an effect. We provide a flow-chart to guide authors through the synthesis and assessment process...
- Finding toxicological information: An approach for occupational health professionalsIrja Laamanen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41 a A, 00250, Helsinki, Finland
J Occup Med Toxicol 3:18. 2008..Therefore we evaluated toxicological databases for their ability to answer practical questions about exposure and prevention. We also propose recommended practices for searching for toxicological properties of chemicals...
- Caution required when relying on a colleague's advice; a comparison between professional advice and evidence from the literatureFrederieke Schaafsma
Coronel Institute for Occupational and Environmental Health, Academic Medical Centre, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Health Serv Res 5:59. 2005..To find out if there was a difference between expert-based practice and EBM we compared professional advice on occupational health topics with best evidence from the literature...
- Transferring results of occupational safety and health cost-effectiveness studies from one country to another - a case studyJos Verbeek
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Knowledge Transfer in Occupational Safety and Health Team, PO Box 301, FI 70101 Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 36:305-12. 2010..In order to find out how these problems can be overcome, we transferred the results of a Dutch occupational cost-effectiveness study to the Finnish situation and vice-versa...
- A systematic review of occupational safety and health business casesJos Verbeek
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Knowledge Transfer in Occupational Health and Safety Team, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 35:403-12. 2009..We systematically reviewed 26 reported cases on occupational safety and health (OSH) interventions to assess if health and productivity arguments make a good business case...
- Building an evidence base for occupational health interventionsJos Verbeek
Kuopio Regional Institute of Occupational Health, Department of Research and Development in Occupational Health, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 30:164-70. 2004..Occupational health could benefit considerably from greater awareness of the evidence for and against various types of intervention...
- A search strategy for occupational health intervention studiesJ Verbeek
Cochrane Occupational Health Field, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Department of Research and Development of Occupational Health Services, PO Box 93, 70701 Kuopio, Finland
Occup Environ Med 62:682-7. 2005..As a result of low numbers and diversity in study type, occupational health intervention studies are not easy to locate in electronic literature databases...
- The occupational health field in the cochrane collaborationJos Verbeek
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Knowledge Transfer in Occupational Health and Safety Team PO Box 93 Kuopio, Finland
Ind Health 45:8-12. 2007..The Occupational Health Field will enhance our understanding of the effectiveness of occupational health interventions in the coming years...
- Effect of training and lifting equipment for preventing back pain in lifting and handling: systematic reviewKari Pekka Martimo
Musculoskeletal Disorders Group, Centre of Expertise for Health and Work Ability, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
BMJ 336:429-31. 2008..To determine whether advice and training on working techniques and lifting equipment prevent back pain in jobs that involve heavy lifting...
- Systematic review of the treatment of functional dysphonia and prevention of voice disordersJani Ruotsalainen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Cochrane Occupational Health Field, Kuopio, Finland
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:557-65. 2008..To evaluate the effectiveness of interventions for treating functional dysphonia or preventing voice disorders in adults...
- Developing search strategies in Medline on the occupational origin of diseasesFrederieke Schaafsma
Coronel Institute for Work, Environment and Health, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Ind Med 49:127-37. 2006....
- Systematic review of interventions for reducing occupational stress in health care workersJani Ruotsalainen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Cochrane Occupational Health Field, Neulaniementie 4, PO Box 93, FI 70701 Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 34:169-78. 2008..This study evaluated the effectiveness of interventions in reducing stress at work among health care workers...
- Occupational injuriesJos Verbeek
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Finland
Inj Prev 13:13-4. 2007
- Information demands of occupational health physicians and their attitude towards evidence-based medicineFrederieke Schaafsma
Coronel Institute for Work, Environment and Health, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Scand J Work Environ Health 30:327-30. 2004..This study assessed the extent and nature of information demands among occupational health physicians and their attitude towards the application of evidence-based medicine in occupational health...
- More systematic reviews needed to improve occupational healthJos Verbeek
Scand J Work Environ Health 33:81-3. 2007