- Diabetic ketoacidosis: diagnosis and management
O A Fasanmade
Department of Medicine, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, PMB 12003, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 37:99-105. 2008
..Provision of guidelines will also reduce mortality. Resources need to be redirected towards prevention by funding better access to care and educational programs...
- Characterization of lipid parameters in diabetes mellitus - a Nigerian report
Anthonia O Ogbera
Department of Medicine, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Int Arch Med 2:19. 2009
..Elevated LDL-C and reduced HDL-C should be the primary targets of treatment in our patients with dyslipidaemia...
- Magnitude and gender distribution of obesity and abdominal adiposity in Nigerians with type 2 diabetes mellitus
O A Fasanmade
Endocrinology Unit Department ofMedicine, College of Medicine, University of Lagos P M B 12003, Lagos, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 10:52-7. 2007
..Obesity and abdominal adiposity are associated with increased cardiovascular morbidity in diabetes. This study evaluated their magnitude and gender distribution in Nigerians with Type 2 DM attending a tertiary care clinic...
- Recent developments in the management of diabetes mellitus
O A Fasanmade
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos
Niger J Clin Pract 10:335-42. 2007
- Adrenocortical function in Nigerian patients with pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB)
I A Odeniyi
Department of Medicine, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 40:33-8. 2011
..We therefore recommend that basal cortisol levels should not be used to detect adrenocortical insufficiency; rather stimulation tests should be used to exclude or confirm suspected adrenocortical insufficiency in patients with PTB...
- Prevalence, associated factors and relationship between prehypertension and hypertension: a study of two ethnic African populations in Northern Nigeria
S A Isezuo
Department of Medicine, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria
J Hum Hypertens 25:224-30. 2011
..These are predominantly in their second decade of life suggesting that rise in blood pressure begins early in this population. The fifth decade of life may represent a period of transition from prehypertension to hypertension...
- Comparative study of the effect of tocotrienols and -tocopherol on fasting serum lipid profiles in patients with mild hypercholesterolaemia: a preliminary report
J N A Ajuluchukwu
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos Nigeria
Niger Postgrad Med J 14:30-3. 2007
..6+/-61.7%; P>0.05). Conclusion: The study adds to existing evidence of the favourable effect of tocotrienols on total cholesterol and LDL-C. However, the results need further evaluation...
- Pattern of dyslipidaemia among Nigerians with type 2 diabetes mellitus
C I Okafor
Endocrinology, Unit, Department of Medicine, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, Lagos
Niger J Clin Pract 11:25-31. 2008
..To characterize the pattern of lipid profile abnormalities among Nigerians with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending the Diabetes clinic of a tertiary referral centre in Nigeria...
- Comparison of low dose and standard dose adrenocorticotropin stimulation tests in healthy Nigerians
I A Odeniyi
Department of Medicine, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Surulere, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 39:113-8. 2010
..999; p < 0.001. In agreement with other published data, our study confirms that 1 microg ACTH stimulates adrenocortical secretion in normal subjects in the period 30 minutes post injection comparable to 250 microg ACTH testing...
- Steroid responsive hypertension secondary to 11-beta hydroxylase deficiency--a case report
A R Isiavwe
Department of Medicine, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria PMB 12003 Lagos, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 27:182-5. 2008
..Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), due to deficiency in 11â hydroxylase enzyme is rare a cause of virilization associated with glucocorticoid responsive hypertension...
- Lipid peroxidation and erythrocyte fragility in poorly controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus
A A Osuntokl
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, P M B 12003, Lagos, Nigeria
Nig Q J Hosp Med 17:148-51. 2007
..The chronic inflammation has been linked to the generation of free radicals. The evidence is however inconclusive. Thus there is increased interest in determining the oxidative status of persons with diabetes...