Genomes and Genes
G P Fadini
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Boscaro E, Menegazzo L, Cabrelle A, Piliego T, et al. Rosuvastatin stimulates clonogenic potential and anti-inflammatory properties of endothelial progenitor cells. Cell Biol Int. 2010;34:709-15 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that rosuvastatin had significant stimulatory effects on EPCs irrespective of the culture protocol. Rosuvastatin also induced anti-inflammatory polarization of monocytic EPCs. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Vigili de Kreutzenberg S, Boscaro E, Cappellari R, Marescotti M, et al. Diabetes impairs stem cell and proangiogenic cell mobilization in humans. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:943-9 pubmed publisher..These alterations may hamper tissue repair and favor the development of cardiovascular complications. ..
- Albiero M, Poncina N, Ciciliot S, Cappellari R, Menegazzo L, Ferraro F, et al. Bone Marrow Macrophages Contribute to Diabetic Stem Cell Mobilopathy by Producing Oncostatin M. Diabetes. 2015;64:2957-68 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, BMMÎ¦ prevent SC mobilization by OSM secretion, and OSM antagonism is a strategy to restore BM function in diabetes, which can translate into protection mediated by BMSCs. ..
- Avogaro A, Fadini G, Sesti G, Bonora E, Del Prato S. Continued efforts to translate diabetes cardiovascular outcome trials into clinical practice. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:111 pubmed publisher..We herein review the results of completed CVOTs of glucose-lowering medications and suggest a possible treatment algorithm based on cardiac and renal co-morbidities to translate CVOT findings into clinical practice. ..
- Fadini G, Cappellari R, Mazzucato M, Agostini C, Vigili de Kreutzenberg S, Avogaro A. Monocyte-macrophage polarization balance in pre-diabetic individuals. Acta Diabetol. 2013;50:977-82 pubmed publisher..We show for the first time that otherwise healthy pre-diabetic subjects have excess M1 inflammatory cells in peripheral blood, which may contribute to cardiovascular risk. ..
- Fadini G, Simoni F, Cappellari R, Vitturi N, Galasso S, Vigili de Kreutzenberg S, et al. Pro-inflammatory monocyte-macrophage polarization imbalance in human hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2014;237:805-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show for the first time that human hypercholesterolemia is associated with a pro-inflammatory imbalance of circulating monocytic cells, which can predispose to the development of atherosclerosis. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Vigili de Kreutzenberg S, Avogaro A. Hypoglycemia affects the changes in endothelial progenitor cell levels during insulin therapy in type 2 diabetic patients. J Endocrinol Invest. 2015;38:733-8 pubmed publisher..Clinically, these data strengthen the importance of avoiding hypoglycemia to improve cardiovascular outcomes during the treatment of T2D. ..
- Fadini G, Bonora B, Zatti G, Vitturi N, Iori E, Marescotti M, et al. Effects of the SGLT2 inhibitor dapagliflozin on HDL cholesterol, particle size, and cholesterol efflux capacity in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:42 pubmed publisher..Despite improvements in glucose control and reduction in body weight, therapy with dapagliflozin exerted no significant effect on HDL cholesterol levels and HDL functionality. Trial registration EudraCT 2014-004270-42; NCT02327039. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Bonora B, Poncina N, Vigili de Kreutzenberg S, Avogaro A. p66Shc gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and progression of diabetic complications. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018;17:16 pubmed publisher..p66Shc expression in PBMCs was not associated with prevalent diabetic complications but predicted new onset of complications, especially macroangiopathy, although no relation with hard cardiovascular endpoints was detected. ..
- Fadini G, Bonora B, Albiero M, Zaninotto M, Plebani M, Avogaro A. DPP-4 inhibition has no acute effect on BNP and its N-terminal pro-hormone measured by commercial immune-assays. A randomized cross-over trial in patients with type 2 diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:22 pubmed publisher..As routinely used immunoassays do not discriminate between intact/active and cleaved BNP, these data cannot rule out an effect of DPP-4i on HF pathophysiology. Trial registration NCT01617824. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Seeger F, Poncina N, Menegazzo L, Angelini A, et al. Stem cell compartmentalization in diabetes and high cardiovascular risk reveals the role of DPP-4 in diabetic stem cell mobilopathy. Basic Res Cardiol. 2013;108:313 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the analysis of stem cell compartmentalization in humans led us to discover mechanisms of BM unresponsiveness in diabetes determined by tissue-specific DPP-4 dysregulation. ..
- Fadini G, Marcuzzo G, Marescotti M, de Kreutzenberg S, Avogaro A. Elevated white blood cell count is associated with prevalence and development of the metabolic syndrome and its components in the general population. Acta Diabetol. 2012;49:445-51 pubmed publisher..26; 95 % CI 1.01-1.58). In conclusion, elevated WBC is intimately linked to the prevalence and future development of the MS in a young population of working subjects. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Menegazzo L, Boscaro E, Agostini C, de Kreutzenberg S, et al. Procalcific phenotypic drift of circulating progenitor cells in type 2 diabetes with coronary artery disease. Exp Diabetes Res. 2012;2012:921685 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, circulating progenitor cells of diabetic patients show a phenotypic drift toward a pro-calcific phenotype that may be driven by inflammatory signals. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Menegazzo L, Boscaro E, Vigili de Kreutzenberg S, Agostini C, et al. Widespread increase in myeloid calcifying cells contributes to ectopic vascular calcification in type 2 diabetes. Circ Res. 2011;108:1112-21 pubmed publisher..These data identify a novel type of blood-derived procalcific cells potentially involved in atherosclerotic calcification of diabetic patients. ..
- Fadini G, Albiero M, Menegazzo L, Boscaro E, Pagnin E, Iori E, et al. The redox enzyme p66Shc contributes to diabetes and ischemia-induced delay in cutaneous wound healing. Diabetes. 2010;59:2306-14 pubmed publisher..p66Shc is involved in the delayed wound-healing process in the setting of diabetes and ischemia. Thus, p66Shc may represent a potential therapeutic target against this disabling diabetes complication. ..
- Fadini G, de Kreutzenberg S, Agostini C, Boscaro E, Tiengo A, Dimmeler S, et al. Low CD34+ cell count and metabolic syndrome synergistically increase the risk of adverse outcomes. Atherosclerosis. 2009;207:213-9 pubmed publisher..The level of circulating CD34+ cells is a novel independent risk biomarker and modulates outcomes in the MetS, suggesting that generic progenitor cells have a role in disease development or progression over the long-term. ..
- Fadini G, Coracina A, Baesso I, Agostini C, Tiengo A, Avogaro A, et al. Peripheral blood CD34+KDR+ endothelial progenitor cells are determinants of subclinical atherosclerosis in a middle-aged general population. Stroke. 2006;37:2277-82 pubmed..Depletion of CD34(+)KDR(+) EPCs is an independent predictor of early subclinical atherosclerosis in healthy subjects and may provide additional information beyond classic risk factors and inflammatory markers. ..