Affiliation: Faculty of Medicine
- Madzgalla S, Syed M, Khan M, Rehman S, Muller E, Reissig A, et al. Molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus isolates causing skin and soft tissue infections in patients from Malakand, Pakistan. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:1541-7 pubmed publisher..These observations require a re-assessment of schemes for initial antibiotic therapy to cover MRSA and they emphasise the need for a rapid and non-molecular test for PVL. ..
- Armengol Porta M, Tenorio Abreu A, Bandt D, Coleman D, Gavier Widen D, Hotzel H, et al. In vitro activity of ceftaroline against mecC-positive MRSA isolates. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2016;5:3-6 pubmed publisher..Ceftaroline could thus be an option for the treatment of mecC-MRSA infections. ..
- Okuda K, Toepfner N, Alabi A, Arnold B, Bélard S, Falke U, et al. Molecular epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus from Lambaréné, Gabon. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:1963-1973 pubmed..schweitzeri was detected twice in unrelated patients. The data emphasise a need for further studies on the role of PVL in African populations and the clinical significance of S. schweitzeri. ..
- Senok A, Somily A, Raji A, Gawlik D, Al Shahrani F, Baqi S, et al. Diversity of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus CC22-MRSA-IV from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;51:31-35 pubmed publisher..High-resolution typing methods, including SCCmec subtyping, might help to differentiate related epidemic strains and to monitor routes of transmission. ..
- Monecke S, Slickers P, Ehricht R. Assignment of Staphylococcus aureus isolates to clonal complexes based on microarray analysis and pattern recognition. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2008;53:237-51 pubmed publisher..Additionally, there are some isolated lineages, such as ST75, ST93, or ST152. These strains produce aberrant hybridization profiles, indicating that only a part of the gene pool of S. aureus has been investigated yet. ..
- Monecke S, Ehricht R, Slickers P, Tan H, Coombs G. The molecular epidemiology and evolution of the Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA300 in Western Australia. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009;15:770-6 pubmed publisher..The present study emphasises the importance of genotyping in detecting the introduction and evolution of significant MRSA strains within a community. ..
- Monecke S, Coombs G, Shore A, Coleman D, Akpaka P, Borg M, et al. A field guide to pandemic, epidemic and sporadic clones of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17936 pubmed publisher..The data also indicate a high rate of genetic recombination in MRSA involving SCC elements, bacteriophages or other mobile genetic elements and large-scale chromosomal replacements. ..
- Monecke S, Helbig J, Jacobs E. Phase variation of the multiple banded protein in Ureaplasma urealyticum and Ureaplasma parvum. Int J Med Microbiol. 2003;293:203-11 pubmed..Therefore, it is proposed that the multiple banded proteins of U. urealyticum and U. parvum are subjected to a phase-switching mechanism as it has already been described for several other Mycoplasmatales...
- Monecke S, Engelmann I, Archambault M, Coleman D, Coombs G, Cortez de Jäckel S, et al. Distribution of SCCmec-associated phenol-soluble modulin in staphylococci. Mol Cell Probes. 2012;26:99-103 pubmed publisher..It was identified in isolates harbouring SCCmec types II, IIA, IIB, IID, III, VIII and in some irregular or truncated elements. ..
- Monecke S, Müller E, Schwarz S, Hotzel H, Ehricht R. Rapid microarray-based identification of different mecA alleles in Staphylococci. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:5547-54 pubmed publisher..vitulinus. Because of the diversity of sequences and the different impact on ?-lactam susceptibility, the existence of different mecA alleles needs to be taken into account when designing diagnostic assays for the detection of mecA. ..
- Monecke S, Gavier Widen D, Mattsson R, Rangstrup Christensen L, Lazaris A, Coleman D, et al. Detection of mecC-positive Staphylococcus aureus (CC130-MRSA-XI) in diseased European hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus) in Sweden. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66166 pubmed publisher..This and several other recent observations suggest that CC130 might be a zoonotic lineage of S. aureus and that SCCmec XI/mecC may have originated from animal pathogens...
- Jamil B, Gawlik D, Syed M, Shah A, Abbasi S, Müller E, et al. Hospital-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) from Pakistan: molecular characterisation by microarray technology. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to type MRSA from countries with less known epidemiology and to monitor the distribution and spread of strains, as well as possible links to global travel, migration and commerce...