Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- Comparison of the thermostability properties of three acid phosphatases from molds: Aspergillus fumigatus phytase, A. niger phytase, and A. niger PH 2.5 acid phosphataseM Wyss
Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Biotechnology Section, Preclinical Research, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:4446-51. 1998..niger pH 2.5 acid phosphatase is irreversibly inactivated at temperatures above 80 degrees C and that the capacity of A. fumigatus phytase to refold properly after heat denaturation may favorably affect its pelleting stability...
- The therapeutic potential of oral creatine supplementation in muscle diseaseM Wyss
Department of Transplant Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Med Hypotheses 51:333-6. 1998....
- Biophysical characterization of fungal phytases (myo-inositol hexakisphosphate phosphohydrolases): molecular size, glycosylation pattern, and engineering of proteolytic resistanceM Wyss
VFB Department, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:359-66. 1999..Therefore, engineering of exposed surface loops may be a strategy for improving phytase stability during feed processing and in the digestive tract...
- Biochemical characterization of fungal phytases (myo-inositol hexakisphosphate phosphohydrolases): catalytic propertiesM Wyss
VFB Department, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:367-73. 1999..Initially, phosphate liberation was linear and identical for the two phytases, but considerably more phosphate was liberated by the A. fumigatus phytase than by the A. niger phytase at later stages of incubation...
- Creatine and creatinine metabolismM Wyss
F Hoffmann La Roche, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Basel, Switzerland
Physiol Rev 80:1107-213. 2000..These findings are discussed in depth, the interrelationships are outlined, and all is put into a broader context to provide a more detailed understanding of the biological functions of Cr and of the CK system...
- Health implications of creatine: can oral creatine supplementation protect against neurological and atherosclerotic disease?Markus Wyss
Roche Vitamins AG, Biotechnology Department VFB, Building 203 113A, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Neuroscience 112:243-60. 2002..g., coronary heart disease or cerebrovascular disease. Although compelling, these results require further confirmation in clinical studies in humans, together with a thorough evaluation of the safety of oral creatine supplementation...
- From DNA sequence to improved functionality: using protein sequence comparisons to rapidly design a thermostable consensus phytaseM Lehmann
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Grenzacherstrasse 124, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Protein Eng 13:49-57. 2000..In summary, for fungal phytases apparently an unexpected direct link between protein sequence conservation and protein stability exists...
- Exchanging the active site between phytases for altering the functional properties of the enzymeM Lehmann
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Basel, Switzerland
Protein Sci 9:1866-72. 2000....
- Expression pattern and localization of beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase in different tissuesA Wyss
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Biochem J 354:521-9. 2001..These new findings demonstrate that beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase is also expressed in epithelial structures, where it serves to provide the tissue-specific vitamin A supply...
- Characteristics of fungal phytases from Aspergillus fumigatus and Sartorya fumigataR Brugger
Biotechnology Department, Roche Vitamins Ltd, Building 203/17B, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 63:383-9. 2004..Finally, comparative experiments confirmed the favourable stability and catalytic properties of A. fumigatus phytase...
- Gene cloning, purification, and characterization of a heat-stable phytase from the fungus Aspergillus fumigatusL Pasamontes
Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Basel, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 63:1696-700. 1997..The enzyme showed high activity with 4-nitrophenyl phosphate at a pH range of 3 to 5 and with phytic acid at a pH range of 2.5 to 7.5...
- Cloning and expression of beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenaseA Wyss
Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, F Hoffmann LaRoche Ltd, Basel, 4070, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:334-6. 2000..We cloned the first eukaryotic beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase which symmetrically cleaves beta-carotene at the 15,15'-double bond...
- Engineering proteins for thermostability: the use of sequence alignments versus rational design and directed evolutionM Lehmann
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Department VFB, Building 203, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Curr Opin Biotechnol 12:371-5. 2001..The potential benefits of the underlying, semirational 'consensus concept' are compared with those of rational design and directed evolution approaches...
- Crystal structure of Aspergillus niger pH 2.5 acid phosphatase at 2. 4 A resolutionD Kostrewa
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, B 65 R312, Basel, 4070, Switzerland
J Mol Biol 288:965-74. 1999..The active site has a highly conserved catalytic center and a charge distribution, which explains the highly acidic pH optimum and the broad substrate specificity of the enzyme...
- Engineering of phytase for improved activity at low pHAndrea Tomschy
Biotechnology Department, Roche Vitamins, Ltd, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:1907-13. 2002..5 to 1.0 unit, with either no change or even a slight increase in maximum specific activity. These findings significantly extend our tools for rationally designing an optimal phytase for a given purpose...
- The consensus concept for thermostability engineering of proteins: further proof of conceptMartin Lehmann
Roche Vitamins AG, Department VFB, Building 203 112a, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Protein Eng 15:403-11. 2002..The present findings support the general validity of the consensus concept for thermostability engineering of proteins...
- Writing about creatine: is it worth the risk?Markus Wyss
DSM Nutritional Products, Biotech R and D, Building 203 17B, P O Box 3255, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Toxicol Lett 152:273-4. 2004
- Transient expression and flux changes during a shift from high to low riboflavin production in continuous cultures of Bacillus subtilisNicola Zamboni
Institute of Biotechnology, , , Switzerland
Biotechnol Bioeng 89:219-32. 2005..With the possible exception of a slight down-regulation of the purine biosynthesis pathway, genome-wide expression analysis indicated that transcriptional regulation was not responsible for the production decline...