- Influenza-associated central nervous system dysfunction: a literature review
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Basel, Switzerland
Travel Med Infect Dis 6:114-24. 2008
..Influenza is a viral pathogen that imposes an under-recognized burden of central nervous system (CNS) disease...
- Reversible hearing loss in temporal association with chemoprophylactic mefloquine use
Burggartenstrassse 32, CH 4103 Bottmingen, Switzerland
Travel Med Infect Dis 5:385-8. 2007
..Audiometry on day 93 revealed normal right sided hearing (-10dB at 1kHz; -10dB at 4kHz). Causality remains undetermined, but it may be prudent to avoid mefloquine chemoprophylaxis in individuals with known hearing impairment...
- Dengue fever and pregnancy - a review and comment
I Dale Carroll
The Pregnant Traveler, 4475 Wilson Ave, SW, Suite 8, Grandville, MI 49418, USA
Travel Med Infect Dis 5:183-8. 2007
..The increasing incidence of dengue with the concomitant rise in travel during pregnancy makes it likely that a pregnant woman will plan travel to or present after travel to endemic areas...
- Special infectious disease risks of expatriates and long-term travelers in tropical countries. Part II: infections other than malaria
Royal Free Hospital Medical School, London, UK
J Travel Med 14:50-60. 2007
..Many infections are chronic or asymptomatic, and appropriate screening is recommended on return or after prolonged exposure...
- Special infectious disease risks of expatriates and long-term travelers in tropical countries. Part I: malaria
Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
J Travel Med 14:42-9. 2007
..Choice of strategies will depend upon assessment of actual risk and likely compliance, with a combination of measures usually appropriate...
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices of expatriates towards malaria chemoprophylaxis and personal protection measures on a mine in Mali
Morila Gold Mine, Mali
Travel Med Infect Dis 5:40-3. 2007
- Travelling to Africa: health risks reviewed
Travel Med Infect Dis 4:147-58. 2006
..Risk mitigation strategies may include education, vaccination, chemoprophylaxis, personal protection measures, provision of treatment and equipment packs, behaviour modification, and evacuation insurance...
- Malaria chemoprophylaxis advice: survey of South African community pharmacists' knowledge and practices
SAA Netcare Travel Clinics
J Travel Med 13:161-5. 2006
..Given pharmacists' ready accessibility and travel clinics' incapacity to service total potential demand, South African community pharmacists' malaria chemoprophylaxis knowledge and practice were assessed...
- Zebra bite to a South African tourist
SAA Netcare Travel Clinics, Johannesburg
J Travel Med 11:122-4. 2004
- Travelers' knowledge, attitudes and practices on the prevention of infectious diseases: results from a study at Johannesburg International Airport
SAA Netcare Travel Clinics, South Africa and Mozambique
J Travel Med 11:16-22. 2004
..Although Johannesburg International Airport (JIA) acts as a hub for travel into Africa, little was known of the knowledge, attitudes, and practices (KAP) with respect to infectious disease prevention of departing travelers...
- Pretravel health advice for asplenic individuals
J Travel Med 10:362; author reply 362-3. 2003
- Tourists travelling to Kilimanjaro do need advice
BMJ 325:46. 2002