- Transplantation osteoporosis
Division of Endocrinology Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA
Endokrynol Pol 62:472-85. 2011
..This article provides a review of the current literature on osteoporosis after transplantation, and the treatment options for this serious illness...
- Is cortical bone hip? What determines cortical bone properties?
Medicine and Geriatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA
Bone 41:S3-8. 2007
..Receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B ligand (RANKL) plays a key role in bone destruction, and the human monoclonal antibody denosumab binds to RANKL, inhibiting its action and thus improving BMD significantly...
- Modern advances in the understanding of bone structure
Bone 41:S1-2. 2007
- Update of current therapeutic options for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis
Doylestown Hospital, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901, USA
Clin Ther 28:151-73. 2006
..As the incidence of osteoporotic fractures continues to rise, it is important to identify the most effective therapies for reducing patients' risk of fracture...
- Ibandronate treatment for osteoporosis: rationale, preclinical, and clinical development of extended dosing regimens
Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Curr Osteoporos Rep 4:14-20. 2006
..It is anticipated that once-monthly ibandronate may have a positive impact on patient adherence, and ultimately, on fracture protection in osteoporotic women...
- Oral ibandronate in the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis: review of upper gastrointestinal safety
Mt Sinai Medical Center, NY, USA, and INSERM Research Unit 403 and Claude Bernard University, Lyon, France
Maturitas 54:1-10. 2006
..This and other clinical studies conducted in postmenopausal women demonstrate that oral ibandronate has an excellent upper GI safety profile...
- Update on monthly oral bisphosphonate therapy for the treatment of osteoporosis: focus on ibandronate 150 mg and risedronate 150 mg
Mt Sinai Medical Center, New York, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:2951-60. 2009
..To increase compliance, bisphosphonate therapies with longer dose-free intervals, such as oral once monthly, were developed...
- Biological properties and mechanism of action of ibandronate: application to the treatment of osteoporosis
Metabolic Bone Unit, Doylestown Hospital, Doylestown, Philadelphia, PA 19073, USA
Bone 37:433-40. 2005
..Finally, the clinical evidence for ibandronate is briefly presented, demonstrating the viability of less frequent dosing, with its potential benefits for patient convenience and adherence to therapy...
- Disorders associated with acute rapid and severe bone loss
Mount Sinai Bone Program, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Bone Miner Res 18:2083-94. 2003
..However, more severe forms of bone loss that result from an osteoblastic defect and reduced bone formation may benefit potentially more from newer anabolic agents, such as recombinant human parathyroid hormone (rhPTH)...
- Disintegration/dissolution profiles of copies of Fosamax (alendronate)
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 19:781-9. 2003
..We performed a pilot study to compare the disintegration/dissolution profiles of FOSAMAX (alendronate) 70 mg tablets with those of copies of FOSAMAX that were manufactured outside the United States...
- Is treatment of early postmenopausal women with bisphosphonates justified?
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Int J Clin Pract 61:963-71. 2007
..Early postmenopausal women who are in a high-risk group should be considered candidates to receive bisphosphonate therapy...
- The roles of bone mineral density, bone turnover, and other properties in reducing fracture risk during antiresorptive therapy
Department of Medicine and Geriatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:379-88. 2005
- The problem of low levels of vitamin D and osteoporosis: use of combination therapy with alendronic acid and colecalciferol (vitamin D3)
Doylestown Hospital, Doylestown, Pennsylvania, USA
Drugs Aging 23:617-25. 2006
- Once-monthly oral ibandronate compared with weekly oral alendronate in postmenopausal osteoporosis: results from the head-to-head MOTION study
Paul D Miller
Colorado Center for Bone Research, Lakewood, Colorado 80227, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:207-13. 2008
..To investigate whether once-monthly ibandronate 150 mg increases lumbar spine and total hip bone mineral density (BMD) to the same degree as weekly alendronate 70 mg...
- Progression of efficacy with ibandronate: a paradigm for the development of new bisphosphonates
The Mount Sinai Bone Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1117:273-82. 2007
..The ibandronate story should serve as an important future paradigm for bisphosphonate development...
- Osteoporosis and diabetes mellitus
Angela M Inzerillo
Mount Sinai Bone Program, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 5:261-8. 2004
- Nonsteroid immune modulators and bone disease
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1068:284-96. 2006
..With the exception of glucocorticoids, all of the agents discussed here demand further investigation with regard to their effects on bone health in the clinical setting...
- Bone loss or lost bone: rationale and recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of early postmenopausal bone loss
The Mount Sinai Bone Program, Box 1055, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Curr Osteoporos Rep 7:118-26. 2009
- Type 2 diabetic mice demonstrate slender long bones with increased fragility secondary to increased osteoclastogenesis
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Bone Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Bone 44:648-55. 2009
..Further, these results emphasize the importance of evaluating diabetic bone based on morphology in addition to bone mass...
- Modeling of serum C-telopeptide levels with daily and monthly oral ibandronate in humans
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1055, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1068:560-3. 2006
- Cellular and molecular consequences of calcineurin A alpha gene deletion
Mount Sinai Bone Program and Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1116:216-26. 2007
..We speculate that the so-called "calcineurin inhibitors" may interact with molecules other than calcineurin. The clinical relevance of these observations is explored...
- Calcineurin regulates bone formation by the osteoblast
Bone Program and Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17130-5. 2005
..Together, the gain- and loss-of-function experiments indicate that calcineurin regulates bone formation through an effect on osteoblast differentiation...
- Molecular cloning, expression, and function of osteoclastic calcineurin Aalpha
Mount Sinai Bone Program and Division of Endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, 10029, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:F575-83. 2003
- Ibandronate: a clinical pharmacological and pharmacokinetic update
Roche Products Ltd, 40 Broadwater Road, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL7 3AY, United Kingdom
J Clin Pharmacol 44:951-65. 2004
..The potency of ibandronate and its sequestration into bone allow ibandronate to be developed as oral and intravenous injection formulations that can be administered with convenient extended between-dose intervals...
- Long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy and risk of hip fracture
Yu Xiao Yang
Division of Gastroenterology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
JAMA 296:2947-53. 2006
..Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may interfere with calcium absorption through induction of hypochlorhydria but they also may reduce bone resorption through inhibition of osteoclastic vacuolar proton pumps...
- Bone metabolism in renal transplant patients treated with cyclosporine or sirolimus
Josep M Campistol
Unidad de Transplante Renal, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
Transpl Int 18:1028-35. 2005
..In conclusion, future trials are warranted to test whether a sirolimus-based regimen conserves bone mineral density compared with a CsA-based regimen...