- Defensive medicine practices among gastroenterologists in Lombardy: between lawsuits and the economic crisis
Gastroenterology Unit 2, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 45:469-73. 2013
..Defensive medicine is becoming more frequent behaviour and has an impact on the economic 'health' of national healthcare systems...
- Risk of intestinal lymphoma in undiagnosed coeliac disease: results from a registered population with different coeliac disease prevalence
Centre for the Prevention and Diagnosis of Coeliac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 44:743-7. 2012
..Our aim is to estimate the risk of intestinal lymphoma in undiagnosed coeliac patients, evaluating the real incidences and applying different theoretical settings of coeliac prevalence...
- Immunological effects of transglutaminase-treated gluten in coeliac disease
Center for Prevention and Diagnosis of Coeliac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Cà Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Milano, Italy
Hum Immunol 73:992-7. 2012
..Enzymatic modification of gluten by transglutaminase plus lysine prevents the immunologic effects on cultured duodenal biopsies from coeliac patients and could be tested as an alternative therapy in coeliac disease...
- Immunological comorbity in coeliac disease: associations, risk factors and clinical implications
Center for the Prevention and Diagnosis of Coeliac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via F Sforza 35, 20122, Milan, Italy
J Clin Immunol 32:984-90. 2012
..Coeliac disease is frequently associated with other immunomediated diseases. Our aim was to identify immunological comorbidities and possible risk factors for their development in coeliac patients...
- Isolation and culture of fibroblasts from endoscopic duodenal biopsies of celiac patients
Center for Prevention and Diagnosis of Celiac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
J Transl Med 7:40. 2009
..Our objective is to isolate and culture primary fibroblasts from endoscopic duodenal biopsies of celiac and non-celiac subjects, to analyze their growth patterns and the morphometric characteristics...
- Megaduodenum: an unusual presentation of amyloidosis?
Gastroenterology Unit, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Santa Maria della Misericordia, Milano Italy
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 73:287-91. 2010
..However, at follow up the patient developed cardiac dilatation and bioptic samples revealed the presence of amyloidosis...
- Gliadin cytotoxicity and in vitro cell cultures
Department of Biology and Genetics, University of Milan, Via Votti 9, Milan 20100, Italy
Toxicol Lett 146:1-8. 2003
..Furthermore, in addition to improving our understanding of pathogenetic mechanisms, cell cultures can also be used to test modified peptides that could replace the toxic components present in the foods that celiac patients must avoid...
- Absence of mucosal inflammation in uncomplicated diverticular disease
Center for Prevention and Diagnosis of Celiac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via F Sforza 35, 29122, Milan, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 56:2098-103. 2011
..Symptoms are aspecific and overlapping with those of irritable bowel syndrome. Nowadays, patients are often treated with antinflammatory drugs (5-aminosalicilic acid)...
- Transglutaminases in inflammation and fibrosis of the gastrointestinal tract and the liver
Center for Prevention and Diagnosis of Celiac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Via F Sforza, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 41:541-50. 2009
..This review highlights our present understanding of transglutaminase function in gastrointestinal and liver diseases and therapeutic strategies that target transglutaminase activities...
- Beneficial effects of treatment with transglutaminase inhibitor cystamine on the severity of inflammation in a rat model of inflammatory bowel disease
Centro per la Prevenzione e Diagnosi della Malattia Celiaca, Fondazione IRCCS Cà Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Milano, Milano, Italy
Lab Invest 91:452-61. 2011
..This is the first demonstration that treatment with a CysN has an anti-inflammatory effect, reducing severity of colitis in a rat model. CysN could be tested as a possible treatment or co-treatment in IBD therapeutic trials...
- Imaging analysis of the gliadin direct effect on tight junctions in an in vitro three-dimensional Lovo cell line culture system
Center for Prevention and Diagnosis of Celiac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milano, Italy
Toxicol In Vitro 25:45-50. 2011
..8±42.8 vs. 23.4±25.9 μm, p<0.01). Our data demonstrated that tight junction proteins are directly damaged by gliadin as shown by means of quantitative imaging analysis...
- Bread wheat gliadin cytotoxicity: a new three-dimensional cell model
Department of Biology and Genetics, University of Milan, Italy
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 63:135-41. 2003
..The aim of this study was to develop a three-dimensional in vitro model to investigate the effects of gliadin on epithelial cells and broaden our understanding of the early tissue damage occurring in celiac disease...
- In vitro cytotoxic effect of bread wheat gliadin on the LoVo human adenocarcinoma cell line
Department of Biology and Genetics, University of Milan, via Viotti 5 6, 20100 Milan, Italy
Toxicol In Vitro 16:331-7. 2002
..The controls did not show any noxious effect. Our results confirm the usefulness of LoVo cells in evaluating gliadin cytotoxicity and that they can be used to investigate the biological properties of gliadin...
- Evaluation of GH-IGF-I axis in adult patients with coeliac disease
Endocrinology and Diabetology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Milan, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico IRCCS, Pad Granelli, Via F Sforza, 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Horm Metab Res 42:45-9. 2010
..Given the absence of APAs, the cause of this pituitary dysfunction remains unclear even if a previous autoimmune involvement in some cases cannot be excluded...
- Resveratrol inhibits cell growth in a human cholangiocarcinoma cell line
Center for Prevention and Diagnosis of Celiac Disease, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milano, Italy
Liver Int 28:1426-36. 2008
..Resveratrol (RES) is a natural molecule with a reported anticancer effect, evaluated on different tumour cell lines. We tested the efficacy of RES on a cholangiocarcinoma cell line for the first time...
- Immunoreactivity of antibodies against transglutaminase-deamidated gliadins in adult celiac disease
Maria Letizia Falini
Department of Agrifood Molecular Science, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 53:2697-701. 2008
..It is hypothesized that gliadin deamidation, catalysed by transglutaminase, plays a role in favoring the antigen presentation...
- Celiac-related properties of chemically and enzymatically modified gluten proteins
Dipartimento di Scienze Molecolari Agroalimentari, Universita di Milano, and Centre for the Prevention and Diagnosis of Celiac Disease, Fondazione IRCCS, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan 20133, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 55:2482-8. 2007
..These results showed that chemical deamidation of gluten may be envisaged as a way to lower the potential risk for celiac people due to widespread use of gluten as a food additive...
- Damaging effects of gliadin on three-dimensional cell culture model
Department of Gastroenterology, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena IRCCS, Via F Sforza 35, Milan 20122, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:5973-7. 2005
..To evaluate the effects of gliadin on the oxidative environment in the "in vivo-like" model of a three-dimensional cell culture system...
- Direct gliadin cytotoxicity as a cofactor in the pathogenesis of celiac disease
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 134:88. 2004
- Cytoskeleton reorganization and ultrastructural damage induced by gliadin in a three-dimensional in vitro model
Department of Biology and Genetics for Health Sciences, via Viotti 3 5, 20131 Milano, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:7597-601. 2005
..To evaluate the interplay between gliadin and LoVo cells and the direct effect of gliadin on cytoskeletal patterns...