- Obstacles in the optimization of bone health outcomes in the female athlete triad
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, Burwood, Vic, Australia
Sports Med 41:587-607. 2011
- Vitamin D status and musculoskeletal health in adolescent male ballet dancers a pilot study
Noll Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dance Med Sci 15:99-107. 2011
..Further investigations in larger samples of adolescent athletes are needed to determine if this could negatively impact bone growth and place them at higher risk for musculoskeletal injuries...
- Effects of repetitive loading on the growth-induced changes in bone mass and cortical bone geometry: a 12-month study in pre/peri- and postmenarcheal tennis players
Noll Laboratory, Penn State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:1321-9. 2011
..05). In conclusion, both pre/peri- and postmenarcheal tennis players showed significant exercise-induced skeletal benefits within a year, with greater benefits in cortical bone geometry in pre/perimenarcheal girls...
- Energy deficiency, menstrual disturbances, and low bone mass: what do exercising Australian women know about the female athlete triad?
Stephanie M Miller
School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, Burwood, Australia
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 22:131-8. 2012
..The aim of this study was to investigate the knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of regularly exercising adult women in Australia toward eating patterns, menstrual cycles, and bone health...
- The impact of recent technological advances on the trueness and precision of DXA to assess body composition
Rebecca J Toombs
Women s Health and Exercise Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:30-9. 2012
..Thus, this paper reviews the evidence regarding the trueness and precision of DXA body composition measurements from the pencil-beam to the narrow fan-beam densitometers...
- Effects of repetitive loading on bone mass and geometry in young male tennis players: a quantitative study using MRI
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition, Research School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, VIC 3125, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 24:1686-92. 2009
..This suggests that the window of opportunity to improve bone mass and size through exercise may be longer in boys than in girls...
- Skeletal benefits after long-term retirement in former elite female gymnasts
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Deakin University, Burwood, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 24:1981-8. 2009
..Skeletal benefits were site specific, with greater geometric adaptations (greater bone size) in the upper compared with the lower limbs...