- Risk factors for prediction of inadequate response to antiresorptives
Hospital del Mar IMIM UAB, Department of Internal Medicine, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 27:817-24. 2012
..More potent regimes should be developed and adequate supplementation implemented to solve this problem...
- Regional differences in treatment for osteoporosis. The Global Longitudinal Study of Osteoporosis in Women (GLOW)
Hospital del Mar IMIM, Autonomous University of Barcelona and RETICEF, Instituto Carlos III, Barcelona, Spain
Bone 49:493-8. 2011
..To determine if important geographic differences exist in treatment rates for osteoporosis and whether this variation can be explained by regional variation in risk factors...
- Analysis of three functional polymorphisms in relation to osteoporosis phenotypes: replication in a Spanish cohort
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Calcif Tissue Int 87:14-24. 2010
..038, adjusted by age). In conclusion, no significant association was observed between the studied polymorphisms and LS BMD or FN BMD in postmenopausal Spanish women, and only MTHFR Ala222Val was associated with vertebral fractures...
- Genetic determinants of aromatase inhibitor-related arthralgia: the B-ABLE cohort study
URFOA IMIM Department, Red Temática de Investigación Cooperativa en Envejecimiento y Fragilidad RETICEF, Instituto de Salud Carlos III FEDER, Parc de Salut Mar, c Dr Aiguader, 88, 2nd Floor, 08003, Barcelona, Spain
Breast Cancer Res Treat 140:385-95. 2013
..SNPs in CYP17A1, VDR, and CYP27B1 genes predict the risk of AIA. Their determination would be useful to trigger the monitoring strategies in women at risk of therapy discontinuation. ..
- Functional relevance of the BMD-associated polymorphism rs312009: novel involvement of RUNX2 in LRP5 transcriptional regulation
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, IBUB, CIBERER, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 26:1133-44. 2011
..This adds evidence to previously described links between two important bone-regulating systems: the RUNX2 transcription-factor cascade and the Wnt signaling pathway...
- Analyses of RANK and RANKL in the post-GWAS context: functional evidence of vitamin D stimulation through a RANKL distal region
URFOA, IMIM Institut Hospital del Mar d Investigacions Mèdiques, Red Temática de Investigación Cooperativa en Envejecimiento y Fragilidad RETICEF, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 28:2550-60. 2013
..In conclusion, the GWA-associated SNP rs9594738 lies in a region involved in transcription regulation through which vitamin D could be regulating RANKL expression and bone mineral density...
- COL1A1 haplotypes and hip fracture
Departament de Genetica, Universitat de Barcelona, IBUB, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras, ISCIII, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 27:950-3. 2012
..However, we observed a small but significant (p = 0.03) association with another rare haplotype, G-insT-T, which was slightly overrepresented in the patient group...
- Promoter 2 -1025 T/C polymorphism in the RUNX2 gene is associated with femoral neck bmd in Spanish postmenopausal women
Department of Genetics, University of Barcelona, Av Diagonal, 645, E 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Calcif Tissue Int 81:327-32. 2007
..001). In particular, individuals carrying the TC genotype had higher mean adjusted FN BMD values than those bearing the TT genotype. Our results highlight the importance of this RUNX2 promoter 2 polymorphism in FN BMD determination...
- An increased rate of falling leads to a rise in fracture risk in postmenopausal women with self-reported osteoarthritis: a prospective multinational cohort study (GLOW)
Department of URFOA Internal Medicine, Hospital del Mar IMIM Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, RETICEF, Feder, ISCIII Madrid, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 72:911-7. 2013
..Patients with osteoarthritis have increased bone mass but no decrease in fractures. The association between self-reported osteoarthritis and incident falls and fractures was studied in postmenopausal women...
- Vitamin D threshold to prevent aromatase inhibitor-induced arthralgia: a prospective cohort study
Department of Internal Medicine, URFOA IMIM Hospital del Mar, Parc de Salut Mar, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Breast Cancer Res Treat 125:869-78. 2011
..12 ** [0.03 to 0.40]). A target concentration of 40 ng/ml 25OHD may prevent development of AI arthralgia but higher loading doses are required to attain this level in women with deficiency at baseline...
- Vitamin D threshold to prevent aromatase inhibitor-related bone loss: the B-ABLE prospective cohort study
URFOA IMIM, Parc de Salut Mar, Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona, c Dr Aiguader, 88, 2nd Floor, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Breast Cancer Res Treat 133:1159-67. 2012
..For this population, the current Institute of Medicine target recommendation of 20 ng/ml might be too low to ensure good bone health...
- Effect of IL-1beta, PGE(2), and TGF-beta1 on the expression of OPG and RANKL in normal and osteoporotic primary human osteoblasts
Internal Medicine, URFOA, IMIM, RETICEF, Hospital del Mar, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Cell Biochem 110:304-10. 2010
..In conclusion, osteoporotic hOB cells showed an anomalous response under cytokine stimulation, consistent with an enhanced osteoclastogenesis resulting in high levels of bone resorption...
- Risk factors for treatment failure with antiosteoporosis medication: the global longitudinal study of osteoporosis in women (GLOW)
Hospital del Mar IMIM Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Red Tematica Investigacion en Envejecimiento y Fragilidad RETICEF, Instituto Carlos III, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 29:260-7. 2014
..29; p = 0.011), and prior fracture (OR, 2.93; 95% CI, 1.81-4.75; p < 0.0001). The C statistic for the model was 0.712. Specific strategies for fracture prevention should therefore be developed for this subgroup of patients...
- HIV infection is strongly associated with hip fracture risk, independently of age, gender, and comorbidities: a population-based cohort study
Unitat de Recerca en Fisiopatologia Òssia i Articular URFOA, IMIM Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 28:1259-63. 2013
..Similarly, we demonstrate a 75% higher risk of all clinical fractures and a 60% increase in risk of non-hip clinical fractures among patients with a diagnosis of HIV infection...
- Microindentation for in vivo measurement of bone tissue material properties in atypical femoral fracture patients and controls
Roberto C Güerri-Fernández
Hospital del Mar IMIM Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 28:162-8. 2013
..The LTB group shows levels that are in between controls and both type of fractures, although not statistically different. These results suggest that bisphosphonate therapy probably does not put the majority of patients at risk for AFF...
- "Burden of osteoporotic fractures in primary health care in Catalonia (Spain): a population-based study"
Institut Catala de la Salut, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:79. 2012
..Using computerized primary care records from the SIDIAP database, we derived age and sex-specific fracture incidence rates for the region of Catalonia during the year 2009...
- HIV Infection and Its Association With an Excess Risk of Clinical Fractures: A Nationwide Case-Control Study
Oxford National Institute for Health Research NIHR, Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK Medical Research Council Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK Internal Medicine Department, Musculoskeletal Research Unit and Red Tematica de Investigacion Cooperativa en Envejecimiento y Fragilidad RETICEF, Fundacio Institut Mar d Investigacions Mediques FIMIM, and Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Barcelona, Spain Institut d Investigacio en Atencio Primaria IDIAP, Jordi Gol Primary Care Research Institute, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Parc Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain Care and Public Health Research Institute, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Toxicology, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, the Netherlands Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Clinical Pharmacology, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands and Aalborg Hospital, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 66:90-5. 2014
..We studied the association between a clinical diagnosis of HIV infection and fracture risk...
- Predictors of fracture while on treatment with oral bisphosphonates: a population-based cohort study
Unitat de Recerca en Fisiopatologia Òssia i Articular URFOA IMIM and Red Temática de Investigación Cooperativa en Envejecimiento y Fragilidad RETICEF, Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain National Institute for Health Research NIHR Biomedical Research Unit, Musculoskeletal Epidemiology Group, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK Grup de Recerca en Malalties Prevalents de l Aparell Locomotor GREMPAL Research Group, Institut d Investigació en Atenció Primària IDIAP Jordi Gol Primary Care Research Institute, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain Medical Research Council MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
J Bone Miner Res 29:268-74. 2014
..Older age, underweight, vitamin D deficiency, PPI use, previous fracture, and inflammatory arthritides increase risk. Monitoring strategies and/or alternative therapies should be considered for these patients...
- Comparison of the effects of ossein-hydroxyapatite complex and calcium carbonate on bone metabolism in women with senile osteoporosis: a randomized, open-label, parallel-group, controlled, prospective study
Rheumatology Unit, Hospitales Universitarios del Mar y de la Esperana, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Drug Investig 31:817-24. 2011
..The objective of this study was to compare the effects of OHC and calcium carbonate on bone metabolism in women with senile osteoporosis...
- Vitamin D deficiency and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women receiving aromatase inhibitors for early breast cancer
Internal Medicine Department, URFOA IMIM, RETICEF, Hospital del Mar, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Maturitas 66:291-7. 2010
- Microindentation for in vivo measurement of bone tissue mechanical properties in humans
Hospital del Mar IMIM Universitat Autónoma, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 25:1877-85. 2010
..It discriminates precisely between patients with and without fragility fracture and may provide clinicians and researchers with a direct in vivo measurement of bone tissue resistance to fracture...
- Genetic analysis of high bone mass cases from the BARCOS cohort of spanish postmenopausal women
Departament de Genetica, Universitat de Barcelona, IBUB, Barcelona, Spain Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras CIBERER, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Barcelona, Spain Institut de Biomedicina Universitat de Barcelona IBUB, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 9:e94607. 2014
..In conclusion, we provide evidence of lack of LRP5 mutations and of a putative HBM-causing mutation in DKK1. Additionally, we present SNP genotyping and expression results that suggest additive effects of several genes for HBM. ..
- The association between fracture and obesity is site-dependent: a population-based study in postmenopausal women
IDIAP Jordi Gol, Primary Health Care Research Institute, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 27:294-300. 2012
..The reasons for these site-specific variations are unknown but may be related to different patterns of falls and attenuation of their impact by adipose tissue...
- Simvastatin and atorvastatin enhance gene expression of collagen type 1 and osteocalcin in primary human osteoblasts and MG-63 cultures
URFOA, IMIM, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
J Cell Biochem 101:1430-8. 2007
..These findings support the bone-forming effect of statins, probably through the BMP2 pathway...
- The ECOS-16 questionnaire for the evaluation of health related quality of life in post-menopausal women with osteoporosis
Health Outcomes Research HOR Europe, Barcelona, Spain
Health Qual Life Outcomes 2:41. 2004
..The aim of this study is to validate the questionnaire ECOS-16 (Assessment of health related quality of life in osteoporosis) for the evaluation of health related quality of life (HRQoL) in post-menopausal women with osteoporosis...
- Bone metabolism and histomorphometric changes in rheumatoid arthritis
Service of Rheumatology, Hospital de la Esperanga and Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Scand J Rheumatol 31:285-90. 2002
..We studied bone metabolism and histomorphometry in 66 patients with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Probability of fractures predicted by FRAX® and observed incidence in the Spanish ECOSAP Study cohort
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Bone 50:373-7. 2012
..To assess the ability of the Spanish version of the WHO fracture risk assessment tool (FRAX®) to predict the observed incident fractures in the ECOSAP Study cohort...
- Measuring bone quality
Department of Medicine, Hospital del Mar IMIM, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, RETICEF, Instituto Carlos III, Catalonia, Spain
Curr Rheumatol Rep 15:373. 2013
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMS)
Department of Internal Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Hospital del Mar URFOA IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 50:720-34. 2006
..Their development has permitted a targeted efficacy profile avoiding some of the side effects of the hormone therapy. Their clinical utility relies today mostly on the effects on breast cancer and bone...
- Evaluation of calcaneal quantitative ultrasound in a primary care setting as a screening tool for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women
Unidad de Investigación de Fisiopatología sea y Articular, Hospital Universitario del Mar, Universitat Autonoma, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Densitom 6:237-45. 2003
..1% of cases. In conclusion, in postmenopausal women, QUS screening conclusively confirms or rules out osteoporosis in approximately one-fifth of cases, thereby avoiding the need for a DXA measurement...
- A haplotype-based analysis of the LRP5 gene in relation to osteoporosis phenotypes in Spanish postmenopausal women
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Miner Res 23:1954-63. 2008
..029, one copy of the haplotype versus none). In silico analyses showed that SNP 1 (rs312009) lies in a putative RUNX2 binding site. Electro-mobility shift assays confirmed RUNX2 binding to this site...