Affiliation: University of Copenhagen
- Smoking cessation and COPDPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte Hospital, Niels Andersensvej 65, Hellerup, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Respir Rev 22:37-43. 2013..Smoking cessation is the most effective intervention in stopping the progression of COPD, as well as increasing survival and reducing morbidity. This is why smoking cessation should be the top priority in the treatment of COPD...
- Varenicline to stop long-term nicotine replacement use: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trialPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Nicotine Tob Res 15:419-27. 2013..This study evaluated the effect of varenicline in combination with counseling to assist long-term nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) users to quit NRT...
- Efficacy of a nicotine mouth spray in smoking cessation: a randomised, double-blind trialPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Eur Respir J 40:548-54. 2012..The overall rate of treatment-related adverse events was 87.4% with active spray versus 71.4% with placebo spray. Nicotine mouth spray delivered significantly higher 6-, 24- and 52-week continuous abstinence rates than placebo...
- Which drug to be used in smoking cessation?Philip Tønnesen
Department Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Pol Arch Med Wewn 118:373-6. 2008..With one of the 3 agents combined with follow-up visits with counselling, one can expect a 1-year quit rate around 20-25%...
- [Varenicline--a new drug for smoking cessation]Philip Tønnesen
Gentofte Hospital, Lungemedicinsk afdeling, Hellerup
Ugeskr Laeger 169:4051-2. 2007..The adverse events were mild with transient nausea reported by less than one third of the subjects. Varenicline should be used for smoking cessation when nicotine replacement products have failed or are undesired...
- Smoking cessation in patients with respiratory diseases: a high priority, integral component of therapyP Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, 2900 Hellerup, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Respir J 29:390-417. 2007..a budget should be established to enable implementation. Research is needed to establish optimum treatment strategies specifically for respiratory patients...
- Nurse-conducted smoking cessation in patients with COPD using nicotine sublingual tablets and behavioral supportPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine Y, Gentofte Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Chest 130:334-42. 2006..Few studies have examined the effect of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) in COPD patients...
- Essential communication skills in individual smoking cessationP Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Hellerup, Copenhagen, Denmark
Chron Respir Dis 1:221-7. 2004..The use of the five As to motivated smokers and the five Rs to smokers not ready to quit is recommended. Telephone and written material may supplement clinic visits in the follow-up period...
- A multicentre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 1-year study of bupropion SR for smoking cessationP Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Gentofte, Denmark
J Intern Med 254:184-92. 2003..Bupropion sustained release (bupropion SR) has been shown to increase smoking cessation success rates in the US studies...
- Smoking reduction for smokers not able or motivated to quit?Philip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Respiration 69:475-8. 2002..Further research is needed to evaluate the value of this concept. However, smoking cessation is still the ultimate goal...
- [Screening and prevention. Danish Society of Pulmonary Medicine]Philip Tønnesen
Lungemedicinsk afdeling Y, Amtssygehuset i Gentofte, DK 2900 Hellerup
Ugeskr Laeger 167:1395. 2005
- Effects of smoking cessation and reduction in asthmaticsPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine Gentofte, University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Nicotine Tob Res 7:139-48. 2005....
- Smoking reduction promotes smoking cessation: results from a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of nicotine gum with 2-year follow-upPoul Wennike
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Addiction 98:1395-402. 2003..To test the effect of nicotine gum and placebo in smokers not motivated or not able to quit smoking with regard to smoking reduction and smoking cessation...
- Smoking cessation with smokeless tobacco and group therapy: an open, randomized, controlled trialPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte Hospital, Niels Andersenvej 65, Hellerup, Denmark
Nicotine Tob Res 10:1365-72. 2008..A total of 25 subjects (17.5 %) were still using smokeless tobacco after 6 months. This trial demonstrated short-term efficacy of smokeless tobacco in combination with group support for smoking cessation but no long-term efficacy...
- Short-term effect of changes in smoking behaviour on emphysema quantification by CTHaseem Ashraf
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Thorax 66:55-60. 2011..The effect of smoking cessation and smoking relapse on lung density was studied using low-dose CT...
- Effect of CT screening on smoking habits at 1-year follow-up in the Danish Lung Cancer Screening Trial (DLCST)H Ashraf
Gentofte Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
Thorax 64:388-92. 2009..The effect of low-dose CT screening for lung cancer on smoking habits has not been reported in large randomised controlled trials...
- CT screening for lung cancer brings forward early disease. The randomised Danish Lung Cancer Screening Trial: status after five annual screening rounds with low-dose CTZaigham Saghir
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Niels Andersens Vej 65, Opgang 30A, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Thorax 67:296-301. 2012..The effects of low-dose CT screening on disease stage shift, mortality and overdiagnosis are unclear. Lung cancer findings and mortality rates are reported at the end of screening in the Danish Lung Cancer Screening Trial...
- Smoking cessation: How compelling is the evidence? A reviewPhilip Tønnesen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Gentofte University Hospital, Denmark
Health Policy 91:S15-25. 2009..To provide a short review of the evidence base supporting smoking cessation interventions, including behavioral therapy and pharmacological treatment options...