Affiliation: University of Copenhagen
- Latent tuberculosis in HIV positive, diagnosed by the M. tuberculosis specific interferon-gamma testInger Brock
Department for Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, Hvidovre 2650, Denmark
Respir Res 7:56. 2006..We here report the results from the first patients screened...
- Tuberculosis burden in an urban population: a cross sectional tuberculosis survey from Guinea BissauMorten Bjerregaard-Andersen
Bandim Health Project, INDEPTH Network, Apartado 861, 1004 Bissau Codex, Guinea Bissau
BMC Infect Dis 10:96. 2010..We conducted a cross sectional survey for pulmonary TB and TB symptoms in Bissau, Guinea-Bissau, in an urban cohort with known HIV prevalence. TB surveillance in the area is routinely based on passive case finding...
- [A possible successor of the Mantoux test after 97 years]Pernille Ravn
Ugeskr Laeger 167:2905-6. 2005
- Prospective evaluation of a whole-blood test using Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific antigens ESAT-6 and CFP-10 for diagnosis of active tuberculosisPernille Ravn
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hvidovre Hospital, Kettegårds Alle 30, 2650 Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:491-6. 2005..The accuracy of the QFT-RD1 test will vary with the prevalence of LTBI. We suggest that the QFT-RD1 test could be a very useful supplementary tool for the diagnosis of TB...
- [Extremely resistant tuberculosis in Africa. The Danish Society for Tropical Medicine and International Health]Pernille Ravn
DSTMIS s sekretariat, Center for International Sundhed og Udvikling, Østerfarimagsgade 5, Bygning 16, DK 1014 København K
Ugeskr Laeger 169:1135. 2007
- Reactivation of tuberculosis during immunosuppressive treatment in a patient with a positive QuantiFERON-RD1 testPernille Ravn
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 36:499-501. 2004..We suggest that RD1 based tests are evaluated further in immunocompromised patients...
- [New diagnostic test for tuberculosis]Pernille Ravn
Infektionsmedicinsk Enhed, Medicinsk Afdeling O 107, Herlev Hospital, DK 2730 Herlev
Ugeskr Laeger 171:2635-9. 2009..However, the specificity is high (92-97%), and the IGRAs may play an important role in the investigation for active tuberculosis and screening for latent tuberculosis infection in BCG vaccinated populations and immunosuppressed patients...
- [Long-lasting disease after serious genital actinomycosis in a former IUD user]Pernille Ravn
H S Hvidovre Hospital, Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling, gynaekologisk afdeling og patologisk afdeling
Ugeskr Laeger 164:4549-50. 2002..Actinomycosis is a rare disease with a potentially high morbidity. Diagnosis is difficult, as symptoms are non-specific and culture is often negative...
- [Screening for tuberculosis infection prior to medical therapy]Pernille Ravn
Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling O 107, Herlev Hospital, 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 173:893-6. 2011..Preventive chemotherapy is recommended for all individuals with latent TB infection before initiation of anti-TNFα as it is expected to reduce the risk of progression to active TB...
- [Comparison of QuantiFERON and tuberculin skin test in possible suspected tuberculosis infection]Micha Jepsen
Hvidovre Hospital, Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling, Hvidovre
Ugeskr Laeger 171:2625-31. 2009..Two cases of tuberculosis were diagnosed at a high school. A contact investigation using Mantoux test (TST) and QuantiFERON TB in Tube test (QFT) was conducted in order to compare QFT with TST...
- Negative effect of smoking on the performance of the QuantiFERON TB gold in tube testMartine G Aabye
Clinical Research Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital Hvidovre, Kettegårds Alle 30, 2650, Hvidovre, Denmark
BMC Infect Dis 12:379. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of smoking on IGRA performance in TB patients in a low and high TB prevalence setting respectively...
- Detecting a low prevalence of latent tuberculosis among health care workers in Denmark detected by M. tuberculosis specific IFN-gamma whole-blood testBolette Soborg
International Reference Laboratory of Mycobacteriology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 39:554-9. 2007..The QFT-TB may be useful in distinguishing persons with latent TB infection from persons with positive TST due to BCG vaccination and its use may reduce anxiety...
- Challenges of loss to follow-up in tuberculosis researchThomas N Nissen
Clinical Research Unit, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e40183. 2012....
- Incubation of whole blood at 39°C augments gamma interferon (IFN-γ)-induced protein 10 and IFN-γ responses to Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigensMartine G Aabye
Clinical Research Centre, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen 2650, Denmark
Clin Vaccine Immunol 18:1150-6. 2011..Incubation at fever-range temperature vividly increases CMI responsiveness to antigen stimulation in vitro in tuberculosis patients and may increase the sensitivity of CMI assays...
- Evaluation of QuantiFERON microtube, using 0.9 mL blood, for diagnosing tuberculosis infectionMichala V Rose
Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Respir J 41:909-16. 2013..The poor sensitivity and high indeterminate rate of both IFN-γ release assays in severely ill children, with immature or impaired immunity in an endemic setting, warrants further investigations...
- IP-10 release assays in the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection: current status and future directionsMorten Ruhwald
Clinical Research Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 12:175-87. 2012..We conclude the review by presenting limitations of the published works and outline recent developments and future directions...
- Immune responses to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific antigen ESAT-6 signal subclinical infection among contacts of tuberculosis patientsT Mark Doherty
Department of Tuberculosis Immunology, Statens Serum Institute Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 40:704-6. 2002..We report that strong recognition of tuberculosis complex-specific antigen ESAT-6 by healthy household contacts of tuberculosis patients correlates with the subsequent development of active tuberculosis during a 2-year follow-up period...
- QuantiFERON®-TB gold in-tube performance for diagnosing active tuberculosis in children and adults in a high burden settingMichala V Rose
Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e37851. 2012....
- A multicentre evaluation of the accuracy and performance of IP-10 for the diagnosis of infection with M. tuberculosisMorten Ruhwald
Clinical Research Centre 136, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 91:260-7. 2011..tuberculosis. IP-10 appeared less influenced by infections other than TB; further studies are needed to test the clinical impact of these findings...
- The impact of HIV infection and CD4 cell count on the performance of an interferon gamma release assay in patients with pulmonary tuberculosisMartine G Aabye
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Copenhagen, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 4:e4220. 2009....
- Incidence, risk factors and mortality of tuberculosis in Danish HIV patients 1995-2007Gry A Taarnhøj
Department of Infectious Diseases, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
BMC Pulm Med 11:26. 2011..We described incidence, risk factors and prognosis of TB in HIV-1 infected patients during pre (1995-1996), early (1997-1999), and late Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART) (2000-2007) periods...
- Improving T-cell assays for the diagnosis of latent TB infection: potential of a diagnostic test based on IP-10Morten Ruhwald
Department of Infectious Diseases 144, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
PLoS ONE 3:e2858. 2008..tuberculosis-infection in children. The aim of the study was to evaluate the performance of an IP-10 and IL-2 based tests for the diagnosis of M.tuberculosis-infection in recently exposed children from Nigeria...
- [Development of tuberculosis after treatment with the TNF-alpha inhibitor infliximab]Morten Dahl
Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling, H S Hvidovre Hospital
Ugeskr Laeger 167:527-8. 2005
- IP-10, MCP-1, MCP-2, MCP-3, and IL-1RA hold promise as biomarkers for infection with M. tuberculosis in a whole blood based T-cell assayMorten Ruhwald
Dep, of Infectious Diseases 144, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
BMC Res Notes 2:19. 2009..Further studies are needed to explore the potential of these highly expressed novel biomarkers individually and in combination...
- Risk for tuberculosis among childrenHiroshi Nakaoka
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1383-8. 2006..TST may underestimate risk for infection with TB in children...
- Immune reconstitution syndrome in tuberculosis and HIV-co-infected patients: Th1 explosion or cytokine storm?Morten Ruhwald
AIDS 21:882-4. 2007
- CXCL10/IP-10 release is induced by incubation of whole blood from tuberculosis patients with ESAT-6, CFP10 and TB7.7Morten Ruhwald
Department of Infectious Diseases 144, Copenhagen University Hospital, Kettegaards Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Microbes Infect 9:806-12. 2007..tuberculosis specific stimulation and sensitivity appeared superior to the Quantiferon test. Our findings suggest that CXCL10 may serve as an alternative or additional marker for the immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis...
- Specific T-cell epitopes for immunoassay-based diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infectionInger Brock
Department of Infectious Disease Immunology, Statens Serum Institute, Artillerivej 5, DK 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 42:2379-87. 2004..In a validation experiment with new experimental groups, the sensitivities obtained were 57% for the combination of peptides and 90% for the combination of the peptides, ESAT-6, and CFP-10. This combination gave a specificity of 95%...
- Evaluation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis--specific antibody responses in populations with different levels of exposure from Tanzania, Ethiopia, Brazil, and DenmarkSoren T Hoff
Department of Infectious Diseases Immunology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen S, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 45:575-82. 2007..A key question remaining is the extent to which the disappointing performance of current tests is associated with a high background prevalence of latent TB...
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy : pathogenesis, clinical manifestations and managementDevesh J Dhasmana
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Harefield Hospital, Middlesex, UK
Drugs 68:191-208. 2008..In this review, we discuss research relating to pathogenesis, the range of clinical manifestations, treatment options and prevention issues...
- Bisphosphonates for prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosisPernille Ravn
Center for Clinical and Basic Research, Ballerup
Dan Med Bull 49:1-18. 2002..1998b, Rosen et al. 1998, and 2000)...
- Alendronate has a residual effect on bone mass in postmenopausal Danish women up to 7 years after treatment withdrawalYu Z Bagger
Center for Clinical and Basic Research A S, Ballerup Byvej 222, Ballerup, Denmark
Bone 33:301-7. 2003..The rate of bone loss after withdrawal of alendronate corresponded to the normal postmenopausal rate of bone loss. A residual effect on BMD was found up to 7 yr after treatment withdrawal...
- The effect on cartilage of different forms of application of postmenopausal estrogen therapy: comparison of oral and transdermal therapyPernille Ravn
Center for Clinical and Basic Research, Ballerup Byvej 222, DK 2750 Ballerup, Denmark
Bone 35:1216-21. 2004..However, long-term clinical trials are needed to further investigate this issue...
- Pulsed estrogen therapy in prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis. A 2-year randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled studyTherese F Nielsen
Center for Clinical and Basic Research A S, Ballerup Byvej 222, DK 2750, Ballerup, Denmark
Osteoporos Int 15:168-74. 2004..This study demonstrates that pulsed estrogen therapy at the dose of 150 microg and 300-microg per day prevents bone loss in a dose-dependant manner at each site studied, and normalizes bone turnover markers to premenopausal levels...
- Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss: six-year results from the Early Postmenopausal Intervention Cohort StudyMichael R McClung
Oregon Osteoporosis Center, 5050 Northeast Hoyt, Suite 651, Portland, Oregon 97213, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4879-85. 2004..5, 10.3, and 8.9% of women taking placebo, 2.5 mg alendronate, or 5 mg alendronate daily, respectively. Therapy with alendronate is an effective and promising strategy for the prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis...