Affiliation: University of Copenhagen
- Latent tuberculosis in HIV positive, diagnosed by the M. tuberculosis specific interferon-gamma testInger Brock
Department for Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, Hvidovre 2650, Denmark
Respir Res 7:56. 2006..We here report the results from the first patients screened...
- Tuberculosis burden in an urban population: a cross sectional tuberculosis survey from Guinea BissauMorten Bjerregaard-Andersen
Bandim Health Project, INDEPTH Network, Apartado 861, 1004 Bissau Codex, Guinea Bissau
BMC Infect Dis 10:96. 2010..We conducted a cross sectional survey for pulmonary TB and TB symptoms in Bissau, Guinea-Bissau, in an urban cohort with known HIV prevalence. TB surveillance in the area is routinely based on passive case finding...
- [Screening for tuberculosis infection prior to medical therapy]Pernille Ravn
Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling O 107, Herlev Hospital, 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 173:893-6. 2011..Preventive chemotherapy is recommended for all individuals with latent TB infection before initiation of anti-TNFα as it is expected to reduce the risk of progression to active TB...
- [Extremely resistant tuberculosis in Africa. The Danish Society for Tropical Medicine and International Health]Pernille Ravn
DSTMIS s sekretariat, Center for International Sundhed og Udvikling, Østerfarimagsgade 5, Bygning 16, DK 1014 København K
Ugeskr Laeger 169:1135. 2007
- [A possible successor of the Mantoux test after 97 years]Pernille Ravn
Ugeskr Laeger 167:2905-6. 2005
- [New diagnostic test for tuberculosis]Pernille Ravn
Infektionsmedicinsk Enhed, Medicinsk Afdeling O 107, Herlev Hospital, DK 2730 Herlev
Ugeskr Laeger 171:2635-9. 2009..However, the specificity is high (92-97%), and the IGRAs may play an important role in the investigation for active tuberculosis and screening for latent tuberculosis infection in BCG vaccinated populations and immunosuppressed patients...
- Prospective evaluation of a whole-blood test using Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific antigens ESAT-6 and CFP-10 for diagnosis of active tuberculosisPernille Ravn
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hvidovre Hospital, Kettegårds Alle 30, 2650 Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:491-6. 2005..The accuracy of the QFT-RD1 test will vary with the prevalence of LTBI. We suggest that the QFT-RD1 test could be a very useful supplementary tool for the diagnosis of TB...
- Reactivation of tuberculosis during immunosuppressive treatment in a patient with a positive QuantiFERON-RD1 testPernille Ravn
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 36:499-501. 2004..We suggest that RD1 based tests are evaluated further in immunocompromised patients...
- [Long-lasting disease after serious genital actinomycosis in a former IUD user]Pernille Ravn
H S Hvidovre Hospital, Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling, gynaekologisk afdeling og patologisk afdeling
Ugeskr Laeger 164:4549-50. 2002..Actinomycosis is a rare disease with a potentially high morbidity. Diagnosis is difficult, as symptoms are non-specific and culture is often negative...
- Dried plasma spots in the diagnosis of tuberculosis: IP-10 release assay on filter paperMartine G Aabye
Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Respir J 42:495-503. 2013..55). The DPS-based IP-10 test has comparable diagnostic accuracy to the QFT-TB and samples can be sent via conventional mail over long distances for analysis without affecting the results. ..
- [Comparison of QuantiFERON and tuberculin skin test in possible suspected tuberculosis infection]Micha Jepsen
Hvidovre Hospital, Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling, Hvidovre
Ugeskr Laeger 171:2625-31. 2009..Two cases of tuberculosis were diagnosed at a high school. A contact investigation using Mantoux test (TST) and QuantiFERON TB in Tube test (QFT) was conducted in order to compare QFT with TST...
- Negative effect of smoking on the performance of the QuantiFERON TB gold in tube testMartine G Aabye
Clinical Research Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital Hvidovre, Kettegårds Alle 30, 2650, Hvidovre, Denmark
BMC Infect Dis 12:379. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of smoking on IGRA performance in TB patients in a low and high TB prevalence setting respectively...
- Detecting a low prevalence of latent tuberculosis among health care workers in Denmark detected by M. tuberculosis specific IFN-gamma whole-blood testBolette Soborg
International Reference Laboratory of Mycobacteriology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 39:554-9. 2007..The QFT-TB may be useful in distinguishing persons with latent TB infection from persons with positive TST due to BCG vaccination and its use may reduce anxiety...
- Evaluation of QuantiFERON microtube, using 0.9 mL blood, for diagnosing tuberculosis infectionMichala V Rose
Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Respir J 41:909-16. 2013..The poor sensitivity and high indeterminate rate of both IFN-γ release assays in severely ill children, with immature or impaired immunity in an endemic setting, warrants further investigations...
- Challenges of loss to follow-up in tuberculosis researchThomas N Nissen
Clinical Research Unit, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e40183. 2012....
- Incubation of whole blood at 39°C augments gamma interferon (IFN-γ)-induced protein 10 and IFN-γ responses to Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigensMartine G Aabye
Clinical Research Centre, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen 2650, Denmark
Clin Vaccine Immunol 18:1150-6. 2011..Incubation at fever-range temperature vividly increases CMI responsiveness to antigen stimulation in vitro in tuberculosis patients and may increase the sensitivity of CMI assays...
- IP-10 release assays in the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection: current status and future directionsMorten Ruhwald
Clinical Research Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 12:175-87. 2012..We conclude the review by presenting limitations of the published works and outline recent developments and future directions...
- Immune responses to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific antigen ESAT-6 signal subclinical infection among contacts of tuberculosis patientsT Mark Doherty
Department of Tuberculosis Immunology, Statens Serum Institute Hvidovre Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 40:704-6. 2002..We report that strong recognition of tuberculosis complex-specific antigen ESAT-6 by healthy household contacts of tuberculosis patients correlates with the subsequent development of active tuberculosis during a 2-year follow-up period...
- QuantiFERON®-TB gold in-tube performance for diagnosing active tuberculosis in children and adults in a high burden settingMichala V Rose
Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e37851. 2012....
- A multicentre evaluation of the accuracy and performance of IP-10 for the diagnosis of infection with M. tuberculosisMorten Ruhwald
Clinical Research Centre 136, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 91:260-7. 2011..tuberculosis. IP-10 appeared less influenced by infections other than TB; further studies are needed to test the clinical impact of these findings...
- The impact of HIV infection and CD4 cell count on the performance of an interferon gamma release assay in patients with pulmonary tuberculosisMartine G Aabye
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Copenhagen, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 4:e4220. 2009....
- Non-tuberculous mycobacteria and the performance of interferon gamma release assays in denmarkThomas Stig Hermansen
Department of Thoracic Medicine and Infectious Disease, Nordsjaelland Hospital, Hillerød, Denmark International Reference Laboratory of Mycobacteriology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 9:e93986. 2014..Here we study the performance of the QFT in patients with NTM disease...
- Improving T-cell assays for the diagnosis of latent TB infection: potential of a diagnostic test based on IP-10Morten Ruhwald
Department of Infectious Diseases 144, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
PLoS ONE 3:e2858. 2008..tuberculosis-infection in children. The aim of the study was to evaluate the performance of an IP-10 and IL-2 based tests for the diagnosis of M.tuberculosis-infection in recently exposed children from Nigeria...
- Incidence, risk factors and mortality of tuberculosis in Danish HIV patients 1995-2007Gry A Taarnhøj
Department of Infectious Diseases, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
BMC Pulm Med 11:26. 2011..We described incidence, risk factors and prognosis of TB in HIV-1 infected patients during pre (1995-1996), early (1997-1999), and late Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART) (2000-2007) periods...
- [Development of tuberculosis after treatment with the TNF-alpha inhibitor infliximab]Morten Dahl
Infektionsmedicinsk Afdeling, H S Hvidovre Hospital
Ugeskr Laeger 167:527-8. 2005
- IP-10, MCP-1, MCP-2, MCP-3, and IL-1RA hold promise as biomarkers for infection with M. tuberculosis in a whole blood based T-cell assayMorten Ruhwald
Dep, of Infectious Diseases 144, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
BMC Res Notes 2:19. 2009..Further studies are needed to explore the potential of these highly expressed novel biomarkers individually and in combination...
- CXCL10/IP-10 release is induced by incubation of whole blood from tuberculosis patients with ESAT-6, CFP10 and TB7.7Morten Ruhwald
Department of Infectious Diseases 144, Copenhagen University Hospital, Kettegaards Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Microbes Infect 9:806-12. 2007..tuberculosis specific stimulation and sensitivity appeared superior to the Quantiferon test. Our findings suggest that CXCL10 may serve as an alternative or additional marker for the immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis...
- Specific T-cell epitopes for immunoassay-based diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infectionInger Brock
Department of Infectious Disease Immunology, Statens Serum Institute, Artillerivej 5, DK 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 42:2379-87. 2004..In a validation experiment with new experimental groups, the sensitivities obtained were 57% for the combination of peptides and 90% for the combination of the peptides, ESAT-6, and CFP-10. This combination gave a specificity of 95%...
- Evaluation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis--specific antibody responses in populations with different levels of exposure from Tanzania, Ethiopia, Brazil, and DenmarkSoren T Hoff
Department of Infectious Diseases Immunology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen S, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 45:575-82. 2007..A key question remaining is the extent to which the disappointing performance of current tests is associated with a high background prevalence of latent TB...
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy : pathogenesis, clinical manifestations and managementDevesh J Dhasmana
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Harefield Hospital, Middlesex, UK
Drugs 68:191-208. 2008..In this review, we discuss research relating to pathogenesis, the range of clinical manifestations, treatment options and prevention issues...
- Risk for tuberculosis among childrenHiroshi Nakaoka
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1383-8. 2006..TST may underestimate risk for infection with TB in children...
- Immune reconstitution syndrome in tuberculosis and HIV-co-infected patients: Th1 explosion or cytokine storm?Morten Ruhwald
AIDS 21:882-4. 2007
- The effect on cartilage of different forms of application of postmenopausal estrogen therapy: comparison of oral and transdermal therapyPernille Ravn
Center for Clinical and Basic Research, Ballerup Byvej 222, DK 2750 Ballerup, Denmark
Bone 35:1216-21. 2004..However, long-term clinical trials are needed to further investigate this issue...
- Pulsed estrogen therapy in prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis. A 2-year randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled studyTherese F Nielsen
Center for Clinical and Basic Research A S, Ballerup Byvej 222, DK 2750, Ballerup, Denmark
Osteoporos Int 15:168-74. 2004..This study demonstrates that pulsed estrogen therapy at the dose of 150 microg and 300-microg per day prevents bone loss in a dose-dependant manner at each site studied, and normalizes bone turnover markers to premenopausal levels...
- Alendronate has a residual effect on bone mass in postmenopausal Danish women up to 7 years after treatment withdrawalYu Z Bagger
Center for Clinical and Basic Research A S, Ballerup Byvej 222, Ballerup, Denmark
Bone 33:301-7. 2003..The rate of bone loss after withdrawal of alendronate corresponded to the normal postmenopausal rate of bone loss. A residual effect on BMD was found up to 7 yr after treatment withdrawal...
- Bisphosphonates for prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosisPernille Ravn
Center for Clinical and Basic Research, Ballerup
Dan Med Bull 49:1-18. 2002..1998b, Rosen et al. 1998, and 2000)...
- Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss: six-year results from the Early Postmenopausal Intervention Cohort StudyMichael R McClung
Oregon Osteoporosis Center, 5050 Northeast Hoyt, Suite 651, Portland, Oregon 97213, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4879-85. 2004..5, 10.3, and 8.9% of women taking placebo, 2.5 mg alendronate, or 5 mg alendronate daily, respectively. Therapy with alendronate is an effective and promising strategy for the prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis...