Luis A Bagatolli
Affiliation: University of Southern Denmark
- Direct observation of lipid domains in free standing bilayers: from simple to complex lipid mixturesLuis A Bagatolli
Grupo de Biofisica, Departamento de Química Biológica CIQUIBIC, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Chem Phys Lipids 122:137-45. 2003....
- To see or not to see: lateral organization of biological membranes and fluorescence microscopyLuis A Bagatolli
MEMPHYS Center for Biomembrane Physics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758:1541-56. 2006..Additionally, the advantages of utilizing visual information, to correlate the lateral structure of compositionally simple membranes with complex situations, i.e., biological membranes, will be addressed...
- An outlook on organization of lipids in membranes: searching for a realistic connection with the organization of biological membranesLuis A Bagatolli
MEMPHYS Center for Biomembrane Physics, Membrane Biophysics and Biophotonics Group, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, Odense M, Denmark
Prog Lipid Res 49:378-89. 2010..The need for a new model to replace the celebrated Nicolson-Singer fluid-mosaic model of biological membranes is also discussed...
- Multiphoton excitation fluorescence microscopy in planar membrane systemsJonathan Brewer
Membrane Biophysics and Biophotonics group MEMPHYS, Center for Biomembrane Physics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Biochim Biophys Acta 1798:1301-8. 2010..This correspondence occurs when the lateral pressure of the monolayer is 26+/-2 mN/m and 28+/-3 mN/m for DOPC and DPPC, respectively...
- Direct visualization of the lateral structure of porcine brain cerebrosides/POPC mixtures in presence and absence of cholesterolMatthias Fidorra
Membrane Biophysics and Biophotonics group MEMPHYS, Center for Biomembrane Physics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, 5230 Odense, Denmark
Biophys J 97:142-54. 2009..The observed cholesterol effect largely differs from that reported for POPC/porcine brain ceramide, reflecting the impact of the sphingolipids polar headgroup on the membrane lateral organization...
- Surface behavior and lipid interaction of Alzheimer beta-amyloid peptide 1-42: a membrane-disrupting peptideErnesto E Ambroggio
CIQUIBIC CONICET, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Ciudad Universitaria, Córdoba CP 5000, Argentina
Biophys J 88:2706-13. 2005....
- Impact of membrane-anchored fluorescent probes on the mechanical properties of lipid bilayersHélène Bouvrais
Department of Physics and Chemistry, MEMPHYS, Center for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Biochim Biophys Acta 1798:1333-7. 2010....
- Texture of lipid bilayer domainsUffe Bernchou
Department of Physics and Chemistry, MEMPHYS Center for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
J Am Chem Soc 131:14130-1. 2009..The results show that although the gel domains have heterogeneous texture, the membrane phase state does not show spatial variation within each domain...
- Direct visualization of membrane leakage induced by the antibiotic peptides: maculatin, citropin, and aureinErnesto E Ambroggio
CIQUIBIC-CONICET, , , Ciudad Universitaria, , Argentina
Biophys J 89:1874-81. 2005..As observed for maculatin, the lytic action of Maculatin-Ala and maculatin-Gly is in keeping with the formation of pore-like structures at the membrane independently of lipid composition...
- A method for analysis of lipid vesicle domain structure from confocal image dataPeter Husen
Department of Physics and Chemistry, MEMPHYS Centre for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, 5230, Odense, Denmark
Eur Biophys J 41:161-75. 2012..The analysis allows for investigation of the morphology and size distribution of domains on the surface...
- Thermotropic behavior of lipid mixtures studied at the level of single vesicles: giant unilamellar vesicles and two-photon excitation fluorescence microscopyLuis A Bagatolli
Center for Biomembrane Physics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Campusvej 55, DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark
Methods Enzymol 367:233-53. 2003
- Lipid lateral organization on giant unilamellar vesicles containing lipopolysaccharidesJakubs Kubiak
Membrane Biophysics and Biophotonics Group MEMPHYS Center for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Biophys J 100:978-86. 2011..Our results indicate that LPSs can cluster into gel-like domains in these bacterial model membranes, and that the size of these domains depends on the chemical structure and concentration of the LPSs...
- Structure of spin-coated lipid films and domain formation in supported membranes formed by hydrationAdam Cohen Simonsen
MEMPHYS Center for Biomembrane Physics, Physics Department, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
Langmuir 20:9720-8. 2004..It is further demonstrated that supported membranes of binary lipid mixtures prepared by this method exhibit gel-fluid domain coexistence in accordance with expectations from the phase diagrams...
- Morphometric image analysis of giant vesicles: a new tool for quantitative thermodynamics studies of phase separation in lipid membranesPeter Husen
MEMPHYS Center for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Biophys J 103:2304-10. 2012....
- Pig skin structure and transdermal delivery of liposomes: a two photon microscopy studyDolores C Carrer
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Center for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
J Control Release 132:12-20. 2008..The presence of charged lipids in the liposomes enhances size stability and thus the efficiency of penetration...
- Giant unilamellar vesicles electroformed from native membranes and organic lipid mixtures under physiological conditionsL Ruth Montes
Unidad de Biofisica Centro Mixto CSIC UPV EHU, Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidad del Pais Vasco, 48080 Bilbao, Spain
Biophys J 93:3548-54. 2007....
- Segregation of saturated chain lipids in pulmonary surfactant films and bilayersKaushik Nag
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5A5, Canada
Biophys J 82:2041-51. 2002....
- Detergent-resistant, ceramide-enriched domains in sphingomyelin/ceramide bilayersJesus Sot
Unidad de Biofisica CSIC UPV EHU and Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidad del Pais Vasco, 48080 Bilbao, Spain
Biophys J 90:903-14. 2006..These observations may be relevant to the phenomena of sphingomyelinase-dependent signaling, generation of "raft platforms", and detergent-resistant cell membranes...
- Cholesterol rules: direct observation of the coexistence of two fluid phases in native pulmonary surfactant membranes at physiological temperaturesJorge Bernardino de la Serna
, , Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 279:40715-22. 2004..We suggest that the particular lipid composition of surfactant could be finely tuned to provide, under physiological conditions, a structural scaffold for surfactant proteins to act at appropriate local densities and lipid composition...
- Giant vesicles, Laurdan, and two-photon fluorescence microscopy: evidence of lipid lateral separation in bilayersLuis A Bagatolli
Department of Physics, MEMPHYS-Center for Biomembrane Physics, University of Southern Denmark, Odense
Methods Enzymol 360:481-500. 2003
- A two-photon view of an enzyme at work: Crotalus atrox venom PLA2 interaction with single-lipid and mixed-lipid giant unilamellar vesiclesSusana A Sanchez
Department of Physics, Laboratory for Fluorescence Dynamics, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Biophys J 82:2232-43. 2002..These studies emphasize the importance of lateral packing of the lipids in C. atrox sPLA2 enzymatic hydrolysis of a membrane surface...
- Ceramide-enriched membrane domains in red blood cells and the mechanism of sphingomyelinase-induced hot-cold hemolysisL Ruth Montes
Unidad de Biofisica Centro Mixto CSIC UPV EHU and Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidad del Pais Vasco, Aptdo 644, 48080 Bilbao, Spain
Biochemistry 47:11222-30. 2008..Finally, in liposomes composed of SM, PC, and cholesterol, which exhibit slow release of aqueous contents at 37 degrees C, addition of 10 mol % ceramide and transfer to 4 degrees C cause a large increase in the rate of solute efflux...
- Profilin binding to sub-micellar concentrations of phosphatidylinositol (4,5) bisphosphate and phosphatidylinositol (3,4,5) trisphosphatePierre D J Moens
School of Biological, Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, The University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351 Australia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:439-49. 2007..Despite the low affinity for sub-micellar concentration of PI(4,5)P(2), profilin was shown to bind to giant unilamellar vesicles in presence of 0.5% mole fraction of PI(4,5)P(2) The implications of these findings are discussed...
- Energy-independent translocation of cell-penetrating peptides occurs without formation of pores. A biophysical study with pep-1Sónia Troeira Henriques
Centro de Quimica e Bioquimica, Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade de Lisboa, Campo Grande, Lisboa, Portugal
Mol Membr Biol 24:282-93. 2007..A peptide-lipid structure is probably formed during peptide partition, which favours peptide translocation...