T K Fischer
Affiliation: Statens Serum Institut
- Incidence of hospitalizations due to rotavirus gastroenteritis in DenmarkT K Fischer
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Norway
Acta Paediatr 90:1073-5. 2001..8 per 1000 in children <5 y and 5.4 in children <2 y of age. Conclusion: These findings suggest that rotavirus gastroenteritis remains a common disease in Danish hospitalized children and causes a substantial burden of disease...
- Rotavirus disease in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa: a review of longitudinal community and hospital studiesThea Kølsen Fischer
Projecto de Saude de Bandim, Bissau, Guinea Bissau
J Infect Dis 202:S239-42. 2010....
- Incidence and cost of rotavirus hospitalizations in DenmarkThea Kølsen Fischer
Department for Epidemiology Research, Center for Epidemiology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Emerg Infect Dis 13:855-9. 2007..These admissions amount to associated direct medical costs of US $1.7-1.8 million per year. Using 2 simple models to analyze readily available hospital discharge data resulted in more consistent and reliable estimates...
- Characterization of rotavirus strains in a Danish population: high frequency of mixed infections and diversity within the VP4 gene of P strainsT K Fischer
Viral Gastroenteritis Section, MS G 04, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1630 Clifton Road N E, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:1099-104. 2005..Our findings might implicate challenges for rotavirus vaccine implementation in a European population and underscore the importance of extensive strain surveillance prior to, during, and after introduction of any vaccine candidate...
- Rotavirus typing methods and algorithmsThea K Fischer
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Norway, Laboratorio National de Saude Publica, Bissau, Guinea Bissau and Department of Epidemiology Research, Danish Epidemiology Science Centre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Rev Med Virol 14:71-82. 2004..Improved detection and characterisation of incompletely typed strains will help to develop a comprehensive strain surveillance that may be required for tailoring effective rotavirus vaccines...
- Characterization of incompletely typed rotavirus strains from Guinea-Bissau: identification of G8 and G9 types and a high frequency of mixed infectionsT K Fischer
Laboratorio National de Saude Publica, Bissau 1004, Guinea Bissau
Virology 311:125-33. 2003....
- Epidemiological studies of rotavirus infection in Guinea-Bissau, West AfricaThea Kølsen Fischer
Department of Epidemiological Research, Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, DK 2300 Copenhagen S
Dan Med Bull 50:103-17. 2003
- Rotavirus particles can survive storage in ambient tropical temperatures for more than 2 monthsThea K Fischer
Projecto de Saude Bandim, Bissau, Guinea Bissau
J Clin Microbiol 40:4763-4. 2002..The retained infectivity of rotavirus particles underscores the need for safe systems for disposal of feces, in particular in developing countries where rotavirus is a major cause of childhood mortality...
- Protective immunity after natural rotavirus infection: a community cohort study of newborn children in Guinea-Bissau, west AfricaThea K Fischer
Projecto de Saude de Bandim and Laboratorio National de Saude Publica, Bissau, Guinea Bissau
J Infect Dis 186:593-7. 2002..The high level of protection against symptomatic rotavirus infection provides an important incentive for development of a rotavirus vaccine...
- Genotype profiles of rotavirus strains from children in a suburban community in Guinea-Bissau, Western AfricaT K Fischer
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Clin Microbiol 38:264-7. 2000..In 1996 and 1997, P, G2 was the most frequent, whereas P, G1 was more common in 1998. The unusual type P, G3 and a few mixed infections were detected. Sixteen percent of the rotavirus-positive samples were nontypeable...
- Seven years' experience with Cryptosporidium parvum in Guinea-Bissau, West AfricaM Perch
Department of Epidemiology Research, Danish Epidemiology Science Centre, Statens Serum Institut, Denmark
Ann Trop Paediatr 21:313-8. 2001..By contrast, no seasonality was found for the enteric parasites Giardia lamblia or Entamoeba histolytica. We conclude that Cryptosporidium parvum is an important pathogen in children with diarrhoea...
- Rotavirus vaccines: past, present, and futureR I Glass
Viral Gastroenteritis Section, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop GO4 CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Arch Pediatr 12:844-7. 2005