Børge G Nordestgaard
Affiliation: Copenhagen University Hospital
- Færk G, Çolak Y, Afzal S, Nordestgaard B. Low concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and long-term prognosis of COPD: a prospective cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol. 2018;33:567-577 pubmed publisher..It is likely that low concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D is a marker of poor health in COPD. ..
- Helby J, Bojesen S, Nielsen S, Nordestgaard B. IgE and risk of cancer in 37 747 individuals from the general population. Ann Oncol. 2015;26:1784-90 pubmed publisher..High levels of plasma total IgE were associated with low risk of CLL and possibly of multiple myeloma, without convincing evidence for high risk of any cancer type. ..
- Mortensen M, Afzal S, Nordestgaard B, Falk E. The high-density lipoprotein-adjusted SCORE model worsens SCORE-based risk classification in a contemporary population of 30,824 Europeans: the Copenhagen General Population Study. Eur Heart J. 2015;36:2446-53 pubmed publisher..SCORE-HDL did not improve discrimination compared with SCORE, but deteriorated risk classification based on NRI. Future guidelines should consider lower decision thresholds and prioritize CVD morbidity and people above age 65. ..
- Sibilitz K, Benn M, Nordestgaard B. Creatinine, eGFR and association with myocardial infarction, ischemic heart disease and early death in the general population. Atherosclerosis. 2014;237:67-75 pubmed publisher..In the general population, moderately elevated plasma creatinine was associated with increased risk of myocardial infarction, ischemic heart disease, and early death, while low eGFR was not. ..
- Varbo A, Freiberg J, Nordestgaard B. Extreme nonfasting remnant cholesterol vs extreme LDL cholesterol as contributors to cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in 90000 individuals from the general population. Clin Chem. 2015;61:533-43 pubmed publisher..Both lipoproteins were associated equally with risk of IHD and MI; however, only nonfasting remnant cholesterol concentrations were associated stepwise with increased all-cause mortality risk. ..
- Kjaergaard A, Johansen J, Bojesen S, Nordestgaard B. Elevated plasma YKL-40, lipids and lipoproteins, and ischemic vascular disease in the general population. Stroke. 2015;46:329-35 pubmed publisher..01 (0.96-1.07) genetically for ischemic heart disease. Elevated YKL-40 was associated with a 34% increase in triglyceride levels and with a 2-fold increased risk of ischemic stroke, whereas genetically elevated YKL-40 were not. ..
- Kobylecki C, Afzal S, Davey Smith G, Nordestgaard B. Genetically high plasma vitamin C, intake of fruit and vegetables, and risk of ischemic heart disease and all-cause mortality: a Mendelian randomization study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;101:1135-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, judging by the effect size, our data cannot exclude that a favorable effect of high intake of fruit and vegetables could in part be driven by high vitamin C concentrations. ..
- Meyer Olesen C, Nielsen S, Nordestgaard B. Increased rheumatoid factor and deep venous thrombosis: 2 cohort studies of 54628 individuals from the general population. Clin Chem. 2015;61:349-59 pubmed publisher..Increased rheumatoid factor in the general population was associated with up to 3-fold increased long-term risk and up to 9-fold increased 1-year risk of deep venous thrombosis. ..
- Brøndum Jacobsen P, Benn M, Afzal S, Nordestgaard B. No evidence that genetically reduced 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with increased risk of ischaemic heart disease or myocardial infarction: a Mendelian randomization study. Int J Epidemiol. 2015;44:651-61 pubmed publisher..08-1.41), with a corresponding observational hazard ratio of 1.08 (1.04-1.14). We found no evidence to suggest that genetically reduced p-25(OH)D is associated with increased risk of ischaemic heart disease or myocardial infarction. ..
- Wium Andersen M, Ã˜rsted D, Nordestgaard B. Tobacco smoking is causally associated with antipsychotic medication use and schizophrenia, but not with antidepressant medication use or depression. Int J Epidemiol. 2015;44:566-77 pubmed publisher..06 (1.04-1.08) in ever- and never-smokers combined. Our data suggest that tobacco smoking could influence the development of psychotic conditions causally, whereas an influence on depression seems unlikely. ..
- Jepsen A, Langsted A, Varbo A, Bang L, Kamstrup P, Nordestgaard B. Increased Remnant Cholesterol Explains Part of Residual Risk of All-Cause Mortality in 5414 Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease. Clin Chem. 2016;62:593-604 pubmed publisher..This suggests that increased concentrations of remnant cholesterol explain part of the residual risk of all-cause mortality in patients with ischemic heart disease. ..
- WinslÃ¸w U, Rode L, Nordestgaard B. High tobacco consumption lowers body weight: a Mendelian randomization study of the Copenhagen General Population Study. Int J Epidemiol. 2015;44:540-50 pubmed publisher..The lack of association between CHRNA3 genotype and body weight among former smokers and never smokers favours smoking as the causal factor for the observed associations. ..
- Mortensen M, Afzal S, Nordestgaard B, Falk E. Primary Prevention With Statins: ACC/AHA Risk-Based Approach Versus Trial-Based Approaches to Guide Statin Therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66:2699-2709 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the ACC/AHA guidelines will prevent more ASCVD events than the trial-based and hybrid approaches, while treating fewer people compared with the trial-based approach. ..
- Rasmussen K, TybjÃ¦rg Hansen A, Nordestgaard B, Frikke Schmidt R. Plasma levels of apolipoprotein E and risk of ischemic heart disease in the general population. Atherosclerosis. 2016;246:63-70 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that high plasma levels of apoE are associated with IHD in men but not in women. Triglyceride-rich lipoproteins may partly explain these associations. ..
- NÃ¸rgaard I, Nielsen S, Nordestgaard B. Complement C3 and High Risk of Venous Thromboembolism: 80517 Individuals from the Copenhagen General Population Study. Clin Chem. 2016;62:525-34 pubmed publisher..43 (1.74-3.40). High concentrations of complement C3 were associated with high risk of venous thromboembolism in the general population. ..
- Wium Andersen M, Ørsted D, Rode L, Bojesen S, Nordestgaard B. Telomere length and depression: prospective cohort study and Mendelian randomisation study in 67 306 individuals. Br J Psychiatry. 2017;210:31-38 pubmed publisher..Short telomeres were not associated with depression in prospective or in causal, genetic analyses. ..
- Langsted A, Kamstrup P, Benn M, TybjÃ¦rg Hansen A, Nordestgaard B. High lipoprotein(a) as a possible cause of clinical familial hypercholesterolaemia: a prospective cohort study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016;4:577-87 pubmed publisher..Danish Heart Association and IMK General Fund, Denmark. ..
- Ã‡olak Y, Afzal S, Lange P, Nordestgaard B. High body mass index and risk of exacerbations and pneumonias in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: observational and genetic risk estimates from the Copenhagen General Population Study. Int J Epidemiol. 2016;45:1551-1559 pubmed..The genetic data are compatible with the notion that high BMI leads to increased risk of exacerbations and pneumonias in individuals with COPD. ..
- Zacho J, Benfield T, TybjÃ¦rg Hansen A, Nordestgaard B. Increased Baseline C-Reactive Protein Concentrations Are Associated with Increased Risk of Infections: Results from 2 Large Danish Population Cohorts. Clin Chem. 2016;62:335-42 pubmed publisher..Chronic low-level CRP increases were associated with increased risk of bacterial infections, gram-negative infections in particular. Genotypes associated with increases in CRP were not associated with increased risk of infection. ..
- Nordestgaard B, Langsted A, Mora S, Kolovou G, Baum H, Bruckert E, et al. Fasting Is Not Routinely Required for Determination of a Lipid Profile: Clinical and Laboratory Implications Including Flagging at Desirable Concentration Cutpoints-A Joint Consensus Statement from the European Atherosclerosis Society and European Fe. Clin Chem. 2016;62:930-46 pubmed publisher..Laboratory reports should flag abnormal values on the basis of desirable concentration cutpoints. Non-fasting and fasting measurements should be complementary but not mutually exclusive. ..
- Kjaergaard A, Johansen J, Bojesen S, Nordestgaard B. Observationally and Genetically High YKL-40 and Risk of Venous Thromboembolism in the General Population: Cohort and Mendelian Randomization Studies. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36:1030-6 pubmed publisher..23 (1.10-1.38) observationally and 1.08 (0.92-1.27) genetically for venous thromboembolism. High YKL-40 levels were associated with a 2-fold increased risk of venous thromboembolism, but the association was not causal. ..
- Nordestgaard B. Triglyceride-Rich Lipoproteins and Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: New Insights From Epidemiology, Genetics, and Biology. Circ Res. 2016;118:547-63 pubmed publisher..Taken together, new insights now strongly suggest that elevated triglyceride-rich lipoproteins represent causal risk factors for low-grade inflammation, ASCVD, and all-cause mortality. ..
- Lomholt F, Nielsen S, Nordestgaard B. High alcohol consumption causes high IgE levels but not high risk of allergic disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;138:1404-1413.e13 pubmed publisher..96 (95% CI, 0.92-1.00) genetically and 1.00 (95% CI, 1.00-1.00) observationally. High alcohol consumption is associated observationally and genetically with high IgE levels but not with high risk of allergic disease. ..
- Langsted A, Kamstrup P, Nordestgaard B. High Lipoprotein(a) and Low Risk of Major Bleeding in Brain and Airways in the General Population: a Mendelian Randomization Study. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1714-1723 pubmed publisher..High lipoprotein(a) concentrations were associated with lower risk of major bleeding in the brain and airways observationally and causally. This indicates that lipoprotein(a) may play a role in hemostasis and wound healing. ..
- Vedel Krogh S, Fallgaard Nielsen S, Lange P, Vestbo J, Nordestgaard B. Association of Blood Eosinophil and Blood Neutrophil Counts with Asthma Exacerbations in the Copenhagen General Population Study. Clin Chem. 2017;63:823-832 pubmed publisher..High blood eosinophil counts are associated with an increased risk of both moderate and severe asthma exacerbations, while high blood neutrophil counts are associated with an increased risk of moderate, but not severe exacerbations. ..
- Afzal S, Bojesen S, Nordestgaard B. Reduced 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia. Alzheimers Dement. 2014;10:296-302 pubmed publisher..more than the 50th seasonally adjusted 25(OH)D. We observed an association of reduced plasma 25(OH)D with increased risk of the combined end point of AD and vascular dementia in this prospective cohort study of the general population. ..
- Rode L, Bojesen S, Weischer M, Nordestgaard B. High tobacco consumption is causally associated with increased all-cause mortality in a general population sample of 55,568 individuals, but not with short telomeres: a Mendelian randomization study. Int J Epidemiol. 2014;43:1473-83 pubmed publisher..High tobacco consumption is causally associated with increased all-cause mortality. High cumulative tobacco consumption is associated with short telomeres observationally, but there is no clear genetic association. ..
- Tolbus A, Mortensen M, Nielsen S, Kamstrup P, Bojesen S, Nordestgaard B. Kringle IV Type 2, Not Low Lipoprotein(a), as a Cause of Diabetes: A Novel Genetic Approach Using SNPs Associated Selectively with Lipoprotein(a) Concentrations or with Kringle IV Type 2 Repeats. Clin Chem. 2017;: pubmed publisher..We therefore aimed to identify genetic variants associated selectively with lipoprotein(a) concentrations or with the number of KIV-2 repeats, to investigate which of these traits confer risk of diabetes...
- Nordestgaard B. A Test in Context: Lipid Profile, Fasting Versus Nonfasting. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1637-1646 pubmed publisher..Several societies' guidelines and statements in Denmark, the United Kingdom, Europe, Canada, Brazil, and the United States endorse nonfasting lipid profiles. ..
- Kobylecki C, Afzal S, Nordestgaard B. Plasma Urate, Cancer Incidence, and All-Cause Mortality: A Mendelian Randomization Study. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1151-1160 pubmed publisher..02-1.47) for cancer incidence and 1.49 (1.13-1.93) for all-cause mortality. High plasma urate was both observationally and genetically associated with high cancer incidence and high all-cause mortality, suggesting causal relationships. ..
- Christoffersen M, Frikke Schmidt R, Nordestgaard B, TybjÃ¦rg Hansen A. Genetic variation in WRN and ischemic stroke: General population studies and meta-analyses. Exp Gerontol. 2017;89:69-77 pubmed publisher..14 (1.04-1.25; P=0.008). This study suggests that common genetic variation in WRN is associated with increased risk of ischemic stroke in the general population. ..
- Nordestgaard B, Langsted A. Lipoprotein (a) as a cause of cardiovascular disease: insights from epidemiology, genetics, and biology. J Lipid Res. 2016;57:1953-1975 pubmed..Recent genetic evidence documents elevated Lp(a) as a cause of myocardial infarction, atherosclerotic stenosis, and aortic valve stenosis. ..
- Varbo A, Benn M, Smith G, Timpson N, Tybjaerg Hansen A, Nordestgaard B. Remnant cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and blood pressure as mediators from obesity to ischemic heart disease. Circ Res. 2015;116:665-73 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that there may be benefit to gain by reducing levels of these risk factors in obese individuals not able to achieve sustained weight loss. ..
- Nordestgaard B, Langsted A, Mora S, Kolovou G, Baum H, Bruckert E, et al. Fasting is not routinely required for determination of a lipid profile: clinical and laboratory implications including flagging at desirable concentration cut-points-a joint consensus statement from the European Atherosclerosis Society and European F. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:1944-58 pubmed publisher..Laboratory reports should flag abnormal values on the basis of desirable concentration cut-points. Non-fasting and fasting measurements should be complementary but not mutually exclusive. ..
- Afzal S, Nordestgaard B. Vitamin D, Hypertension, and Ischemic Stroke in 116 655 Individuals From the General Population: A Genetic Study. Hypertension. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Because observational but not genetic low 25(OH)D concentration was associated with ischemic stroke, and as the CIs overlapped, we can neither support nor exclude a causal relationship. ..
- Langsted A, Freiberg J, Nordestgaard B. Extent of undertreatment and overtreatment with cholesterol-lowering therapy according to European guidelines in 92,348 Danes without ischemic cardiovascular disease and diabetes in 2004-2014. Atherosclerosis. 2017;257:9-15 pubmed publisher..Conversely, ?1600 per million received cholesterol-lowering therapy without endorsement in European guidelines. ..