- [Cardiac rehabilitation after coronary artery bypass surgery]
Cátedra de Cirugía Cardiaca, Centro Cardiovascular Universitario, Hospital de Clinicas, Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay Electronic address
Arch Cardiol Mex 84:286-92. 2014
..The aim of this paper is to review the effect of rehabilitation in the return to work, survival, functional capacity, depression and anxiety, as well as compare centralized vs. home rehabilitation in this patient population. ..
- Similar survival after mitral valve replacement or repair for ischemic mitral regurgitation: a meta-analysis
Centro Cardiovascular, Hospital de Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Montevideo, Uruguay Electronic address
Ann Thorac Surg 97:758-65. 2014
..There is no agreement as to the best surgical option. With no prospective randomized controlled trials available, our objective was to perform a meta-analysis comparing replacement and repair...
- Does early coronary artery bypass surgery improve survival in non-ST acute myocardial infarction?
Department of Cardiac Surgery and Cardiology, Cardiovascular Center, Hospital de Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 17:140-2. 2013
..15 ng/ml, whereas in those patients with higher values of cTnI, waiting for cTnI to reduce before considering surgery seems to be a wise option in order to decrease the incidence of MACEs and hospital mortality...
- Risk of subsequent aortic dilatation is low in patients with bicuspid aortic valve and normal aortic root diameter at the time of aortic valve replacement
National Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery, Montevideo, Uruguay
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:535-8. 2010
..Even though the numbers of patients studied is low to make any kind of conclusions, our study permits us to suggest that AVR prevents aortic root dilation in BAV patients whose aortic root diameter at time of surgery was <or=45 mm...
- Mesenchymal stromal cells mediate a switch to alternatively activated monocytes/macrophages after acute myocardial infarction
Cell Therapy Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Basic Res Cardiol 106:1299-310. 2011
..Additional studies are warranted confirming the role of IL-10 and augmenting the anti-inflammatory effects of MSCs in cardiac regeneration...
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells improve scar thickness without enhancing cardiac function in a chronic ischaemic heart failure model
Cell Therapy Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 14:516-20. 2012
..Human MSCs increased the thickness of the infarcted ventricular wall without improving cardiac function in this chronic ischaemic heart failure model. Further studies are required to assess the benefit of MSCs in this setting...
- Human umbilical cord perivascular cells exhibit enhanced cardiomyocyte reprogramming and cardiac function after experimental acute myocardial infarction
Cell Therapy Program, Prince Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G2M9
Cell Transplant 22:1651-66. 2013
..Our results indicate that HUCPVCs exhibit a greater degree of cardiomyocyte reprogramming but that differentiation for both cell types is partial. We conclude that HUCPVCs may be preferable to BM-MSCs in the cell therapy of AMI. ..
- Development and characterization of a new inbred transgenic rat strain expressing DsRed monomeric fluorescent protein
Cell Therapy Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Transgenic Res 23:779-93. 2014
..The DsRed monomeric Tg rat provides marked cells and/or organs that can be followed for long periods without immune rejection and therefore is a suitable model to investigate cell tracking and organ transplantation. ..
- Cardiac denervation procedure to treat refractory angina in a patient with Churg-Strauss syndrome and non-obstructive coronary lesions
Department of Cardiac Surgery, National Institute for Cardiac Surgery INCC, Montevideo, Uruguay
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 15:166-8. 2012
..After 3 months of follow-up, the patient was angina-free and could resume his normal lifestyle...
- Two cases of pulmonary homograft replacement for isolated pulmonary valve endocarditis
Cardiovascular Centre, Hospital de Clinicas, Montevideo, Uruguay
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1954-6. 2009
..Surgical correction using pulmonary homograft was done, with immediate postoperative recovery. The current literature of isolated pulmonary endocarditis is also reviewed...