Affiliation: Charles University
Country: Czech Republic
- Flegr J, Klose J, Novotna M, Berenreitterová M, Havlicek J. Increased incidence of traffic accidents in Toxoplasma-infected military drivers and protective effect RhD molecule revealed by a large-scale prospective cohort study. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:72 pubmed publisher....
- Flegr J. Microevolutionary, macroevolutionary, ecological and taxonomical implications of punctuational theories of adaptive evolution. Biol Direct. 2013;8:1 pubmed publisher..The punctuational theories offer many new predictions that need to be tested, but also provide explanations for a much broader spectrum of known biological phenomena than classical gradualistic evolutionary theories. ..
- Flegr J, HodnÃ½ Z. Cat scratches, not bites, are associated with unipolar depression--cross-sectional study. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:8 pubmed publisher....
- Flegr J, Striz I. Potential immunomodulatory effects of latent toxoplasmosis in humans. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:274 pubmed publisher..Therefore further studies are needed to search for indices of immunosuppression in human using more specific markers. ..
- Flegr J, Horacek J. Toxoplasma-infected subjects report an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder diagnosis more often and score higher in Obsessive-Compulsive Inventory. Eur Psychiatry. 2017;40:82-87 pubmed publisher..The results confirmed earlier reports of the association between toxoplasmosis and OCD. They also support recent claims that latent toxoplasmosis is in fact a serious disease with many impacts on quality of life of patients. ..
- Flegr J. Effects of toxoplasma on human behavior. Schizophr Bull. 2007;33:757-60 pubmed..Other studies have demonstrated reduced psychomotor performance in affected individuals. Possible mechanisms by which T. gondii may affect human behavior include its effect on dopamine and on testosterone. ..
- Flegr J. A possible role of intracellular isoelectric focusing in the evolution of eukaryotic cells and multicellular organisms. J Mol Evol. 2009;69:444-51 pubmed publisher....
- Flegr J, Lenochova P, Hodny Z, Vondrová M. Fatal attraction phenomenon in humans: cat odour attractiveness increased for toxoplasma-infected men while decreased for infected women. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1389 pubmed publisher..The trend observed with the hyena urine sample suggests that this carnivore, and other representatives of the Feliformia suborder, should be studied for their possible role as definitive hosts in the life cycle of Toxoplasma. ..
- Flegr J, Hampl R, Cernochova D, Preiss M, Bicíková M, Sieger L, et al. The relation of cortisol and sex hormone levels to results of psychological, performance, IQ and memory tests in military men and women. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2012;33:224-35 pubmed..Concentrations of steroid hormones correlate with results of several psychological tests, the sign and magnitude of these correlations, however, very often differ in military men and women. ..
- Flegr J, Geryk J, Volný J, Klose J, Cernochova D. Rhesus factor modulation of effects of smoking and age on psychomotor performance, intelligence, personality profile, and health in Czech soldiers. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49478 pubmed publisher..It is critically needed to confirm the differences in health response to smoking between RhD-positive and RhD-negative subjects by objective medical examination in future studies. ..
- Toman J, Flegr J. Stability-based sorting: The forgotten process behind (not only) biological evolution. J Theor Biol. 2017;435:29-41 pubmed publisher..It could be the only truly universal evolutionary process, and an explanatory framework based on SBS could provide new insight into the evolution of complex abiotic and biotic systems. ..