Affiliation: Ciudad de La Habana
- Evidence for nonpoliovirus enterovirus multiplication in L20B cellsLuis Sarmiento Pérez
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Rev Cubana Med Trop 59:98-101. 2007..In spite of the selectivity of this cell line for polioviruses (117/129; 90.7%) some other nonpolio enteroviruses (12/129: 9.3%), such as coxsackie A virus types 4, 8 and 10, can grow in L20B cells...
- Type 1 diabetes associated and tissue transglutaminase autoantibodies in patients without type 1 diabetes and coeliac disease with confirmed viral infectionsLuis Sarmiento
Department of Virology, Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
J Med Virol 84:1049-53. 2012..The findings suggest that HEV may be a shared environmental factor for the development of islet and gut-related autoimmunity...
- First epidemic of echovirus 16 meningitis in CubaL Sarmiento
Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
Emerg Infect Dis 7:887-9. 2001..Virologic studies identified echovirus 16 as the cause of this epidemic. This is the first reported isolate of echovirus 16 from patients with viral meningitis in Cuba...
- Persistence of vaccine-derived poliovirus following a mass vaccination campaign in Cuba: implications for stopping polio vaccination after global eradicationP Mas Lago
Pedro Kouri Institute for Tropical Medicine, Havana, Cuba
Int J Epidemiol 30:1029-34. 2001..At issue is the theoretical risk of independent circulation of potentially virulent OPV-derived strains. Because Cuba uses OPV only in mass campaigns, it represents an ideal site to assess vaccine-derived poliovirus persistence...
- Mechanism of enterovirus involvement in epidemic neuropathy: hypothesis regarding pathophysiologyP M Lago
Pedro Kouri Institute of Tropical Medicine (IPK, Havana, Cuba; Autopista Novia del Mediodia, Km 6, PO Box 601, La Lisa, Cuba
Med Hypotheses 56:339-47. 2001..We propose that the viral agents produce a persistent infection, and the possibility that they may act as mediator of an autoimmune pathogenic process...