Affiliation: Ciudad de La Habana
- Evidence of Association between Type 1 Diabetes and Exposure to Enterovirus in Cuban Children and AdolescentsLuis Sarmiento
Pedro Kourí Tropical Medicine Institute IPK, Havana, Cuba
MEDICC Rev 15:29-32. 2013..KEYWORDS Type 1 diabetes, juvenile diabetes, insulin-dependent diabetes, autoimmunity, autoantibodies, enteroviruses, hygiene hypothesis, Cuba...
- [Frequency and characteristics of metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance in the first-degree relatives of persons with type 1 diabetes]Eduardo Cabrera-Rode
Instituto Nacional de Endocrinologia, La Habana, Cuba
Endocrinol Nutr 57:311-21. 2010....
- Slowly progressing type 1 diabetes: persistence of islet cell autoantibodies is related to glibenclamide treatmentEduardo Cabrera-Rode
Department of Immunology of Diabetes Mellitus, National Institute of Endocrinology, Vedado, Havana, Cuba
Autoimmunity 35:469-74. 2002..This phenomenon may be deleterious for the preservation of residual beta cell function in patients with slowly progressing type 1 diabetes or latent autoimmune diabetes of adult (LADA)...
- Occurrence of enterovirus RNA in serum of children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes and islet cell autoantibody-positive subjects in a population with a low incidence of type 1 diabetesLuis Sarmiento
Department of Virology, Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
Autoimmunity 40:540-5. 2007..The penetrance of type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) in a genetically susceptible population is largely determined by environmental influences amongst which the human enteroviruses are prominent putative factors...
- Effect of standard nicotinamide in the prevention of type 1 diabetes in first degree relatives of persons with type 1 diabetesEduardo Cabrera-Rode
Department of Immunology of Diabetes Mellitus, National Institute of Endocrinology, Zapata and D, Vedado, Havana, Cuba
Autoimmunity 39:333-40. 2006..Nicotinamide has been used with success to prevent type 1 diabetes in animal models and humans. This vitamin B3 derivative has attracting effects on beta-cell protection and regeneration...
- Islet cell related antibodies and type 1 diabetes associated with echovirus 30 epidemic: a case reportEduardo Cabrera-Rode
Department of Immunology of Diabetes, National Institute of Endocrinology, Havana, Cuba
J Med Virol 76:373-7. 2005..Our data suggest that echovirus 30 Cuban strain could be considered a potentially diabetogenic enteroviral variant...
- Type 1 diabetes islet associated antibodies in subjects infected by echovirus 16E Cabrera-Rode
Department of Immunology of Diabetes, National Institute of Endocrinology, Zapata and D, Havana 10 400, Cuba
Diabetologia 46:1348-53. 2003..To determine whether the emergent infection by echovirus 16 that occurred in Cuba during the year 2000 was related to the presence of Type 1 diabetes associated autoantibodies...
- First-degree relatives of persons with type 1 diabetes: insulin resistance and enterovirus infection are associated with different patterns of islet cell autoimmunityIleana Cubas-Dueñas
Department of Immunology and Genetics on Diabetes, National Institute of Endocrinology, Zapata and D, 10400, Havana, Cuba
Acta Diabetol 50:233-9. 2013..Our data suggest that enterovirus infection and insulin resistance are two independent events associated with ICA and GAD65 autoantibodies, respectively. These observations support the multifactorial nature of T1D...
- Evolution of disease mortality burden in Cuba: 1990-2005Armando H Seuc
Instituto de Higiene, Epidemiologia y Microbiologia, Habana, Cuba
Cad Saude Publica 26:615-23. 2010..It seems convenient to reproduce this analysis using shorter time intervals, e.g. annually...
- Effect of Diamel in patients with metabolic syndrome: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study (Diamel：)Eduardo Cabrera-Rode
National Institute of Endocrinology, Havana, Cuba
J Diabetes 5:180-91. 2013....