Affiliation: Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Expression of cell proliferation cycle negative regulators in fibroblasts of an ischemic diabetic foot ulcer. A clinical case reportJorge Berlanga-Acosta
Tissue repair and cytoprotection project, Biomedical Direction, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Havana, Cuba
Int Wound J 10:232-6. 2013..We postulate that the downregulation of the Akt/mTOR/cyclin D1 axis by the proximal activation of p53 and p21 due to stressor factors, impose an arrest/pro-senescence programme that translated in a torpid and slow healing process...
- Glucose toxic effects on granulation tissue productive cells: the diabetics' impaired healingJorge Berlanga-Acosta
Tissue Repair and Cytoprotection Research Group, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Playa, CP 10600 Havana, Cuba
Biomed Res Int 2013:256043. 2013..Ulcer prevention by primary care surveillance, education, and attention programs is of outmost importance to reduce worldwide amputation figures...
- Diabetic lower extremity wounds: the rationale for growth factors-based infiltration treatmentJorge Berlanga-Acosta
Tissue Repair and Cytoprotection Research Group, Pharmaceutical Division, Biomedical Research Direction, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Havana City, Havana, Cuba
Int Wound J 8:612-20. 2011..Ten years of clinical experience have validated laboratory and theoretical concepts, while most importantly have improved quality-of-life to thousands of diabetic patients...
- Epidermal growth factor in clinical practice - a review of its biological actions, clinical indications and safety implicationsJorge Berlanga-Acosta
Tissue Repair and Cyto protection Research Project, Pharmaceutical Division, Biomedical Research, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Havana, Cuba
Int Wound J 6:331-46. 2009..The ability of EGF to heal injured tissues in life-threatening scenarios or to assist in preventing physical and social disability advocates for its clinical use under a rational medical risk/benefit balance...
- The pro-inflammatory environment in recalcitrant diabetic foot woundsJorge Berlanga Acosta
Biomedical Research Direction, Pharmaceutical Division, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Avenida 31 e 158 y 190, Playa, PO Box 6162, Havana 10600, Cuba
Int Wound J 5:530-9. 2008..These medical interventions are demanded to reduce amputations in an expanding diabetic population...
- Attenuation of internal organ damages by exogenously administered epidermal growth factor (EGF) in burned rodentsJorge Berlanga
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, P O Box 6162, 10600, Havana, Cuba
Burns 28:435-42. 2002..These data indicate the salutary effects of EGF by attenuating internal complications associated to thermal injuries. Further studies are warranted to fully elucidate the usefulness of this therapy...
- Growth-hormone-releasing peptide 6 (GHRP6) prevents oxidant cytotoxicity and reduces myocardial necrosis in a model of acute myocardial infarctionJorge Berlanga
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Ave 31 e 158 and 190, P O Box 6162, Cubanacan, Playa, Havana, Cuba
Clin Sci (Lond) 112:241-50. 2007..01). In conclusion, GHRP6 exhibits antioxidant effects which may partially contribute to reduce myocardial ischaemic damage...
- Epidermal growth factor intralesional infiltrations can prevent amputation in patients with advanced diabetic foot woundsJorge Berlanga Acosta
Division of Pharmaceutics, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Havana City, Cuba
Int Wound J 3:232-9. 2006..5 +/- 4.9 days. Wound recurrence after 1 year of follow-up appeared in only one patient. Preliminary evidences suggest that EGF intralesional infiltrations may be effective in reducing diabetic lower limb amputation...
- Methylglyoxal administration induces diabetes-like microvascular changes and perturbs the healing process of cutaneous woundsJorge Berlanga
Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Ave 31 e 158 and 190 Playa 10600, Havana, Cuba
Clin Sci (Lond) 109:83-95. 2005..We conclude that exposure to increased MG in vivo is associated with the onset of microvascular damage and other diabetes-like complications within a normoglycaemic context...
- Intra-lesional injections of recombinant human epidermal growth factor promote granulation and healing in advanced diabetic foot ulcers: multicenter, randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind studyJosé I Fernández-Montequín
JI Fernández Montequín, MD, National Institute for Angiology and Vascular Surgery, Havana, Cuba
Int Wound J 6:432-43. 2009..Most adverse events were mild and no drug-related severe adverse reactions were reported. It was concluded that recombinant human EGF (rhEGF) local injections offer a favourable risk-benefit balance in patients with advanced DFU...
- Intralesional administration of epidermal growth factor-based formulation (Heberprot-P) in chronic diabetic foot ulcer: treatment up to complete wound closureJosé I Fernández-Montequín
National Institute for Angiology and Vascular Surgery, Havana, Cuba
Int Wound J 6:67-72. 2009..The therapeutic scheme of intralesional Heberprot-P administration up to complete closure can be safe and suitable to improve the therapeutic goal in terms of healing of chronic DFU...
- Intralesional injections of Citoprot-P (recombinant human epidermal growth factor) in advanced diabetic foot ulcers with risk of amputationJosé I Fernández Montequín
Service of Diabetic Microangiopathy, National Institute for Angiology and Vascular Surgery, Havana, Cuba
Int Wound J 4:333-43. 2007..The most frequent were sepsis (33%), burning sensation (29%), tremors, chills and local pain (25% each). rhEGF local injection enhances advanced DFU healing and reduces the risk of major amputation. No dose dependency was observed...
- Boosting controlled autoimmunity: a new therapeutic target for CNS disordersDiana Garcia del Barco
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Avenue 31 e 158 and 190, PO Box 6162, Cubancan, Playa 10600, Havana City, Cuba
Expert Rev Neurother 8:819-25. 2008..Understanding the regulation of protective autoimmunity within the CNS is likely to lead to novel therapeutic approaches to neuroinflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases...
- Ubiquitous expression of human SCA2 gene under the regulation of the SCA2 self promoter cause specific Purkinje cell degeneration in transgenic miceJorge Aguiar
Department of Gene Therapy, Division of Pharmaceutics, Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, CIGB, Ave 31 between 158 and 190, Havana City, CP 10 600 Havana, Cuba
Neurosci Lett 392:202-6. 2006..Specific degeneration of Purkinje neurons and transgene over-expression in the brain, liver and skeletal muscle, rather than in lungs and kidneys was also observed, resembling the expression pattern of the ataxin 2 in humans...
- Therapeutic effect of the combined use of growth hormone releasing peptide-6 and epidermal growth factor in an axonopathy modelDiana Garcia del Barco
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Ave 31 e 158 and 190, Cubanacan, Playa P O Box 6162, 10600 Havana, Cuba
Neurotox Res 19:195-209. 2011..The latter results confirm the proximal character of 1,2 DAB neuropathy, and suggest that combined therapy with EGF and GHRP-6 might be a good therapeutic strategy for the treatment of ALS...
- Use of growth-hormone-releasing peptide-6 (GHRP-6) for the prevention of multiple organ failureDanay Cibrian
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Ave 31 e 158 and 190 Playa 10600, Havana, Cuba
Clin Sci (Lond) 110:563-73. 2006..In view of these findings, further studies appear justified...
- Ozone oxidative preconditioning is mediated by A1 adenosine receptors in a rat model of liver ischemia/ reperfusionOlga S León Fernández
Center for Research and Biological Evaluation CIEB IFAL, University of Havana, Havana, Cuba
Transpl Int 21:39-48. 2008..NO produced by OzoneOP may play a role in the pathways of cellular signalling which promote preservation of the cellular redox balance, mitochondrial function, glutathione pools as well as the regulation of NF-kappaB and HSP-70...
- Prophylactic use of epidermal growth factor reduces ischemia/reperfusion intestinal damageJorge Berlanga
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Havana, Cuba
Am J Pathol 161:373-9. 2002..These studies provide preliminary evidence that EGF is a novel therapy for the early treatment or prevention of intestinal damage and multiorgan failure resulting from mesenteric hypoperfusion...
- Role of protein synthesis in the protection conferred by ozone-oxidative-preconditioning in hepatic ischaemia/reperfusionHussam H Ajamieh
Center for Research and Biological Evaluation (CIEB-IFAL, University of Havana, Havana, Cuba
Transpl Int 18:604-12. 2005..Cellular redox balance disappeared when CHX was introduced. Protein synthesis is involved in the protective mechanisms mediated by OzoneOP. Ozone treatment preserved mitochondrial functions and cellular redox balance...
- Ozone/oxygen mixture modifies the subcellular redistribution of Bax protein in renal tissue from rats treated with cisplatinAluet Borrego
National Laboratory for the Control of Drugs, Center for the Control and Development of Drugs, Havana, Cuba
Arch Med Res 37:717-22. 2006..r.) ozone/oxygen mixture protected and induced a significant recovery in cisplatin-induced renal damage and was related to a significant increase in the antioxidant system in renal tissue...