- Glycine treatment decreases proinflammatory cytokines and increases interferon-gamma in patients with type 2 diabetes
Biochemistry Medical Research Unit, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI IMSS, Col Doctores México DF, Mexico City, Mexico
J Endocrinol Invest 31:694-9. 2008
..5 kg/m2, the mean fasting glucose level was 175.5 mg/dl and the mean A1C level was 8%. They were allocated to one of two treatments, 5 g/d glycine or 5 g/d placebo, po tid, for 3 months...
- Degradation of pro-insulin-receptor proteins by proteasomes
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI CMNSXXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico
Arch Med Res 35:18-23. 2004
..However, it is unknown whether proteasomes are involved in pro-IR degradation...
- Admixture in Mexico City: implications for admixture mapping of type 2 diabetes genetic risk factors
Veronica L Martinez-Marignac
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Rd Room 4026, South Bldg, L5L 1C6, Mississauga, ON, Canada
Hum Genet 120:807-19. 2007
..Sample sizes of about 2,000 cases will be required to detect any locus that contributes an ancestry risk ratio of at least 1.5...
- Association of the ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 R230C variant with early-onset type 2 diabetes in a Mexican population
M Teresa Villarreal-Molina
Unidad de Biología Molecular y Medicina Genómica, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Vasco de Quiroga 15 Colonia Sección 16, Tlalpan 14000, Mexico D F
Diabetes 57:509-13. 2008
..Because a pivotal role for ABCA1 in pancreatic beta-cell function was recently observed in the mouse model, we assessed the association of this variant with type 2 diabetes in this population...
- DD genotype of angiotensin-converting enzyme in type 2 diabetes mellitus with renal disease in Mexican Mestizos
Nephrology Department and Medical Research Unit in Biochemistry, National Medical Center, IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico
Nephrology (Carlton) 14:235-9. 2009
..The purpose of the present study was to determine whether micro/macroalbuminuria is associated with ACE insertion/deletion (I/D) polymorphism in Mexican Mestizos with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- The SNP at -592 of human IL-10 gene is associated with serum IL-10 levels and increased risk for human papillomavirus cervical lesion development
Dirección de Infecciones Crónicas y Cáncer, Centro de Investigación sobre Enfermedades Infecciosas CISEI, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Av, Universidad 655, Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, C, P, 62100, Cuernavaca, Mexico
Infect Agent Cancer 7:32. 2012
- Adiponectin in eutrophic and obese children as a biomarker to predict metabolic syndrome and each of its components
Community Health Research Department, Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez, Ministry of Health SSA, Mexico City, Mexico
BMC Public Health 13:88. 2013
..Therefore, this study aimed to determine the relationship between adiponectin levels with each component of MetS in eutrophic and obese Mexican children...
- Evaluation of the imputation performance of the program IMPUTE in an admixed sample from Mexico City using several model designs
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road North, Mississauga, ON, Canada
BMC Med Genomics 5:12. 2012
..two-step (phasing and imputation) approaches; (c) the effect of different INFO score thresholds on imputation performance and (d) imputation performance in common vs. rare markers...
- Analysis of the contribution of FTO, NPC1, ENPP1, NEGR1, GNPDA2 and MC4R genes to obesity in Mexican children
Departamento de Genetica y Biologia Molecular, Centro de Investigación yde Estudios Avanzados del Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico
BMC Med Genet 14:21. 2013
..We aimed to assess the contribution of some of these SNPs to obesity risk and to the variation of related metabolic traits, in Mexican children...
- Candidate gene association study conditioning on individual ancestry in patients with type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome from Mexico City
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, CMN Siglo XXI, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 26:261-70. 2010
..Metabolic syndrome (MS) increases the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. We analysed 14 cases of polymorphisms located in 10 candidate loci, in a sample of patients with T2D and controls from Mexico City...
- Low adiponectin levels predict type 2 diabetes in Mexican children
PhD, Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Coordinacion de Investigacion en Salud, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Av Cuauhtemoc 330, C P 06720, Mexico D F, Mexico
Diabetes Care 27:1451-3. 2004
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children--an increasing health problem in Mexico
Biochemistry Medical Research Department, Specialties Hospital, Twenty First Century National Medical Center, Mexican Institute of Social Security IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 17:183-90. 2004
..010). Laboratory results, QUICKI, and HOMA-IR values suggested that these patients present DM2 and decreased insulin sensitivity. We recommend prevention of overweight and sedentary life-style...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity and NADPH/NADP+ ratio in liver and pancreas are dependent on the severity of hyperglycemia in rat
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS Mexico, Mexico
Life Sci 78:2601-7. 2006
..NADPH/NADP+ is regulated by glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in the liver and pancreas, whereas levels of reduced glutathione are mainly dependent on the NADPH supply...
- Association of polymorphisms within the transforming growth factor-β1 gene with diabetic nephropathy and serum cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations
Siglo XXI National Medical Centre, Dr Carlos McGregor Sánchez Regional General Hospital, IMSS, Mexico D F, Mexico
Nephrology (Carlton) 15:644-8. 2010
..The TGF-β gene participates in the development of chronic kidney disease. We investigated whether the 869 T > C, 915 G > C and -800 G > A polymorphisms of TGF-β1 are associated with diabetic nephropathy (DN)...
- Monosodium glutamate neonatal intoxication associated with obesity in adult stage is characterized by chronic inflammation and increased mRNA expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in mice
Department of Health Sciences, Division of Health and Biological Sciences, Metropolitan Autonomous University of Iztapalapa, DF, Mexico
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 108:406-13. 2011
- rs12255372 variant of TCF7L2 gene is protective for obesity in Mexican children
Community Health Research Department, Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez, Ministry of Health, Mexico City, Mexico
Arch Med Res 42:495-501. 2011
..The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between the TCF7L2 gene (rs12255372) and obese phenotype in Mexican school-age children...
- Glycine increases mRNA adiponectin and diminishes pro-inflammatory adipokines expression in 3T3-L1 cells
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Eur J Pharmacol 587:317-21. 2008
..These results show that glycine improves the pro-inflammatory profile and up-regulates adiponectin gene expression. Therefore, glycine could be useful as a modulator of the pro-inflammatory state observed in obesity and type 2 diabetes...
- Glycine suppresses TNF-alpha-induced activation of NF-κB in differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes
Programa de Doctorado del Posgrado en Biología Experimental D C B S, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, Apdo Postal 55 535, CP 09340, Mexico, D F Mexico
Eur J Pharmacol 689:270-7. 2012
..These findings suggest that glycine could be used as an alternative treatment for chronic inflammation, which is a hallmark of obesity and other comorbidities, and is characterized by an elevated production of pro-inflammatory cytokines...
- O-GlcNAc-selective-N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase activity and mRNA expression in muscle is related to glucosamine-induced insulin resistance
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Mexico DF, Mexico
Pharmacology 85:121-30. 2010
..In the GlcN group, O-GlcNAcase activity/mRNA expression was altered (0.6 +/- 0.07 vs. 1 +/- 0.09 of control, p < 0.05). In conclusion, O-GlcNAcase activity is posttranslationally inhibited during GlcN-induced insulin resistance...
- CAPN10 mRNA splicing and decay is not affected by a SNP associated with susceptibility to type 2 diabetes
Departamento de Genetica y Biologia Molecular, CINVESTAV IPN, Apartado Postal 14 740, Mexico DF 07360, Mexico
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 358:831-6. 2007
..We propose a defective CAPN10 pre-mRNA processing is responsible for the decreased levels of SNP-43 A-allele transcripts in peripheral white cells of healthy and T2D individuals...
- Metformin decreases plasma resistin concentrations in pediatric patients with impaired glucose tolerance: a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial
Rita A Gómez-Díaz
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Epidemiologia Clinica, UMAE Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico Ciy, Mexico
Metabolism 61:1247-55. 2012
..This change is independent of its effects on body weight. In contrast, metformin did not alter the concentration of inflammatory markers...
- High glucose induces mitochondrial p53 phosphorylation by p38 MAPK in pancreatic RINm5F cells
Luis A Flores-López
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, HE, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI IMSS, Av Cuauhtemoc 330, Col Doctores, Del Cuauhtémoc, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Mol Biol Rep 40:4947-58. 2013
..These results suggest that mitochondrial p53 phosphorylation by p38 MAPK plays an important role in RINm5F cell death under high glucose conditions. ..
- Changes in the glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in granulosa cells during follicular atresia in ewes
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico DF, Mexico
Reproduction 137:979-86. 2009
..Finally, lower G6PD activity in large follicles indicating a higher susceptibility to oxidative stress associated to apoptosis progression in follicle atresia...
- The transcription of MGAT4A glycosyl transferase is increased in white cells of peripheral blood of type 2 diabetes patients
Departamento de Genetica y Biologia Molecular, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados, Av IPN 2508, Col Zacatenco Mexico DF 07360, Mexico
BMC Genet 8:73. 2007
..The aims of this study were to measure and compare the MGAT4A mRNA levels in white blood cells (WBC) from T2D subjects and healthy subjects (T2NB), and to measure the half-life of the MGAT4A mRNA...
- [Leptin and its association with obesity and type 2 diabetes]
Julio Cesar Almanza-Perez
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS, Mexico DF, Mexico
Gac Med Mex 144:535-42. 2008
..We describe some important biochemical and molecular aspects associated with the physiology of leptin, emphasizing the pathological consequences associated with obesity and diabetes...
- Diabetogenic effect of STZ diminishes with the loss of nitric oxide: role of ultraviolet light and carboxy-PTIO
Coordinacion de Investigacion en Salud, Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Pharmacology 71:17-24. 2004
..It is possible that an increase in (.) NO concentration into cell, independently of its endogenous or exogenous origin, can induce beta-cell damage and diabetes...
- [The role of innate immunity in obesity]
Programa de Doctorado en Biología Experimental, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitama, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 54:171-7. 2012
..Knowledge of the role of TLRs in inflammation and adipocyte differentiation and their regulation, then it is important to try to develop new therapeutic anti-inflammatory targets that contribute in the treatment of obesity...
- Waist perimeter cutoff points and prediction of metabolic syndrome risk. A study in a Mexican population
Ana Lucia Alonso
Biochemical Medical Research Unit, Specialty Hospital, XXI Century National Medical Center, Mexican Social Security Institute, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 39:346-51. 2008
..Association between metabolic syndrome (MS) risk factors was analyzed to establish optimum waist perimeter (WP) cutoff points for a Latin American cluster...
- [Adipocitokines, adipose tissue and its relationship with immune system cells]
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Gac Med Mex 141:505-12. 2005
..We recommend that therapies addressing the treatment of obesity related disorders should focus on modifying the inflammatory process that originates in the adipose tissue...
- [Impaired fasting glucose detection in blood donors population]
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Bioquimica, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 47:17-24. 2009
..to identify subjects with impaired fasting glucose (IFG), from a group of apparently healthy individuals...
- Cardiovascular risk factors and acculturation in Yaquis and Tepehuanos Indians from Mexico
Multidisciplinary Research Group on Diabetes, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico
Arch Med Res 39:352-7. 2008
..The objective of this study was to determine the relation between CV risk factors and the main components of acculturation, in Yaquis and Tepehuanos Indians from Mexico...
- Differences in BCL-X(L) expression and STAT5 phosphorylation in chronic myeloid leukaemia patients
Laboratorio de Hematología Especial, Servicio de Hematologia, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Eur J Haematol 72:231-8. 2004
..These results suggest that STAT5 activity and BCL-X(L) overexpression may reflect a stage of differentiation among CML phases, and this could contribute to BCR-ABL-dependent transformation...
- Regulation of immunoproteasome subunit expression in vivo following pathogenic fungal infection
Lance F Barton
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
J Immunol 169:3046-52. 2002
..Thus, both in vitro and in vivo data demonstrate that IFN-gamma is essential for up-regulation, but not constitutive expression, of immunoproteasome subunits in mice...
- The use of complementary and alternative medicine therapies in type 2 diabetic patients in Mexico
Diabetes Care 26:2470-1. 2003
- Prediabetes and its relationship with obesity in Mexican adults: The Mexican Diabetes Prevention (MexDiab) Study
The Multidisciplinary Research Group on Diabetes of the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 6:15-23. 2008