Affiliation: Universidad de Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
- Surprising SES Gradients in mortality, health, and biomarkers in a Latin American population of adultsLuis Rosero-Bixby
Central American Population Center and Institute for Health Research, University of Costa Rica, San Pedro, San Jose, Costa Rica
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 64:105-17. 2009..To determine socioeconomic status (SES) gradients in the different dimensions of health among elderly Costa Ricans...
- [Forest and population at Península de Osa, Costa Rica]Luis Rosero-Bixby
Centro Centroamericano de Poblacion, CCP, Universidad de Costa Rica, 2060 San Jose, Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 50:585-98. 2002..37 and 1% in fragmentation of the forest. An evaluation in the risk of deforestation for the period 1995-2005 was done. The most recent population data were used and it identifies several geographic areas with high deforestation risk...
- Spatial access to health care in Costa Rica and its equity: a GIS-based studyLuis Rosero-Bixby
Centro Centroamericano de Población CCP, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose 2060, Costa Rica
Soc Sci Med 58:1271-84. 2004..The GIS platform developed for this study allows pinpointing communities with inadequate access to health care, where interventions to improve access would have the greatest impact...
- X-ray screening seems to reduce gastric cancer mortality by half in a community-controlled trial in Costa RicaL Rosero-Bixby
Centro Centroamericano de Poblacion, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose 2060, Costa Rica
Br J Cancer 97:837-43. 2007..Although X-ray mass screening seems able to reduce stomach cancer mortality, its high cost may be an obstacle for scaling up this intervention in a non-rich country like Costa Rica...
- The exceptionally high life expectancy of Costa Rican nonagenariansLuis Rosero-Bixby
Centro Centroamericano de Poblacion, Universidad de Costa Rica, Apartado 2060, San Jose, Costa Rica
Demography 45:673-91. 2008..The availability of reliable estimates for the oldest-old in low-income populations is extremely rare. These results may enlighten the debate over how harsh early-life health conditions affect older-age mortality...
- Factors associated with hypertension prevalence, unawareness and treatment among Costa Rican elderlyEricka Méndez-Chacón
Centro Centroamericano de Poblacion, Universidad de Costa Rica, Sede Rodrigo Facio, 2060, Costa Rica
BMC Public Health 8:275. 2008..This study describes the prevalence of hypertension among Costa Rican elderly, and identifies co-factors associated with its prevalence, unawareness and treatment...
- Differentials by socioeconomic status and institutional characteristics in preventive service utilization by older persons in Costa RicaGilbert Brenes-Camacho
Centro Centroamericano de Poblacion, University of Costa Rica, San Jose 2060, Costa Rica
J Aging Health 21:730-58. 2009..Discussion. The SES disparities in preventive service utilization exist in Costa Rica, and institutional characteristics are positively associated with increasing utilization...
- Insurance and other socioeconomic determinants of elderly longevity in a Costa Rican panelLuis Rosero-Bixby
University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
J Biosoc Sci 37:705-20. 2005..Survival was substantially lower among unmarried men and individuals with limited autonomy at the beginning of the study. The effect of socioeconomic status is weak. Insurance effects seem to be confounded by selection biases...