- How stigma interferes with mental health care
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Am Psychol 59:614-25. 2004
..Implications for the development of antistigma programs that might promote care seeking and participation are also reviewed...
- The stigma of families with mental illness
Jon E Larson
Department of Psychology, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616, USA
Acad Psychiatry 32:87-91. 2008
..This article describes family stigma, which is defined as the prejudice and discrimination experienced by individuals through associations with their relatives...
- Racial and ethnic disparities in mental illness stigma
Institute for Healthcare Studies, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 195:1020-3. 2007
..These findings suggest that racial/ethnic background may help to shape mental illness stigma, and that targeting antistigma interventions to racial/ethnic background of participants may be helpful...
- Three programs that use mass approaches to challenge the stigma of mental illness
Joint Research Programs in Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Illinois Institute of Technology 3424 S State Street, Chicago, Illinois 60616, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:393-8. 2006
- Disseminating evidence-based mental health practices
Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, University of Chicago, USA
Evid Based Ment Health 6:4-5. 2003
- An attribution model of public discrimination towards persons with mental illness
University of Chicago, Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 7230 Arbor Drive, Tinley Park, IL 60477, USA
J Health Soc Behav 44:162-79. 2003
..The results from this study also suggest that familiarity with mental illness reduces discriminatory responses...
- Nonverbal social perception and symptomatology in schizophrenia
Harvard Medical School Department of Psychiatry 116A at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center and Brockton West Roxbury Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 940 Belmont Street, Brockton, MA 02301, USA
Schizophr Res 53:83-91. 2002
..The discussion reviews how these results contribute to our understanding of social deficits in schizophrenia...
- Perceptions of discrimination among persons with serious mental illness
University of Chicago Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Tinley Park, Illinois, 60477, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1105-10. 2003
- Self-stigma in people with mental illness
Amy C Watson
Jane Addams College of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Schizophr Bull 33:1312-8. 2007
..Findings provide partial support for the proposed mediational processes and point to GI, PL, and stereotype agreement as areas to be considered for intervention...