Affiliation: Instituto Nacional de Salud
- [Control of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in blood donors in Colombia, 2003]Mauricio Beltrán
Instituto Nacional de Salud, Red Nacional de Bancos de Sangre, Bogota, D C, Colombia
Biomedica 25:527-32. 2005..Whereas the primary source of transmission is the insect vector, the second is by blood transfusion. Consequently, in Colombia, screening for trypanosomiasis has been obligatory for blood donors since 1995...
- Hepatitis C virus seroprevalence in multi-transfused patients in ColombiaMauricio Beltrán
Instituto National de Salud, Calle 26 51 60 CAN Zona 6, Bogota D C, Colombia
J Clin Virol 34:S33-8. 2005..Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) infection is a public health problem worldwide, with particular relevance in multi-transfused patients given that HCV is principally transmitted by exposure to infected blood...
- [Seroprevalence of hepatitis B virus and human immunodeficiency virus infection in a population of multiply-transfused patients in Colombia]Mauricio Beltrán
Red Nacional de Bancos de Sangre, Instituto Nacional de Salud, Bogota, D C, Colombia
Biomedica 29:232-43. 2009..Although the transfusion of blood products is a common therapy, it carries risk of transmission of infections, especially hepatitus B virus (HBV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- [Prevalence of microsporidia and other intestinal parasites in patients with HIV infection, Bogota, 2001]Astrid Carolina Flórez
Universidad Colegio Mayor de Cundinamarca, Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Instituto Nacional de Salud, Bogota, D C, Colombia
Biomedica 23:274-82. 2003..1%. The most frequently found pathogens were Blastocystis hominis, 25.2%, and Entamoeba histolytica, 13%. In other studies with HIV patients in Colombia, lower prevalences of Cryptosporidium sp. infection were observed...
- [Absence of occult hepatitis B in Colombian blood donors]Mauricio Beltrán
Grupo Red Nacional Bancos de Sangre, Instituto Nacional de Salud, Bogota, DC, Colombia
Biomedica 31:580-9. 2011..Testing of antibody against core antigens is not administered, although this method may be useful to detect donors infected with the hepatitis B virus...