- Diffusion-weighted imaging-guided resection of intracerebral lesions involving the optic radiation
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Aachen University RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 28:188-95. 2005
..The authors conclude that intraoperative OR visualization, realized by neuronavigationally displayed DWI data, might prove to be helpful to maintain patients' visual fields...
- Electrophysiological proof of diffusion-weighted imaging-derived depiction of the deep-seated pyramidal tract in human
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the Aachen University RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 67:117-22. 2006
..Due to methodical limitations of this study the accuracy of the proven IC display is limited to 3 mm which has proven to be sufficient for the planning and performance of neurosurgical procedures in the vicinity of large fiber tracts...
- Noradrenergic modulation of subthalamic nucleus activity in human: metoprolol reduces spiking activity in microelectrode recordings during deep brain stimulation surgery for Parkinson's disease
V A Coenen
Surgical Center for Movement Disorders, Division of Neurosurgery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:757-62; discussion 762. 2008
- What is dorso-lateral in the subthalamic Nucleus (STN)?--a topographic and anatomical consideration on the ambiguous description of today's primary target for deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery
Volker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:1163-5; discussion 1165. 2008
..OBJECTIVE: This paper evaluates the ambiguity and describes the sensorimotor part of the STN in stereotactic space...
- Medial forebrain bundle stimulation as a pathophysiological mechanism for hypomania in subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease
Volker A Coenen
Surgical Center for Movement Disorders, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Neurosurgery 64:1106-14; discussion 1114-5. 2009
..We suggest a different explanation, in which the coactivation of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), outside the STN, leads to hypomania during STN DBS...
- Sequential visualization of brain and fiber tract deformation during intracranial surgery with three-dimensional ultrasound: an approach to evaluate the effect of brain shift
Volker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Aachen University of Technology, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurgery 56:133-41; discussion 133-41. 2005
..We present a technique that allows intraoperative display of brain shift and its effects on fiber tracts...
- Image-guided microneurosurgical management of small cerebral arteriovenous malformations: the value of navigated computed tomographic angiography
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Neuroradiology 47:66-72. 2005
..CTA can be easily implemented into commercial neuronavigation systems...
- Subthalamic nucleus stimulation for advanced Parkinson's disease: how to find a far medial STN
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the Aachen University RWTH, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:373-7. 2004
..In the presented case we applied the integrated information from intraoperative MER, macrostimulation and postoperative imaging work-up and were able to complete DBS implantation successfully...
- How useful is the 3-dimensional, surgeon's perspective-adjusted visualisation of the vessel anatomy during aneurysm surgery? A prospective clinical trial
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty, University Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 30:209-16; discussion 216-7. 2007
..Possibly, this technique has the potential to improve operative results by reduction of the surgical trauma and avoidance of intraoperative complications...
- Human medial forebrain bundle (MFB) and anterior thalamic radiation (ATR): imaging of two major subcortical pathways and the dynamic balance of opposite affects in understanding depression
Volker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, Bonn University, Germany
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 24:223-36. 2012
..These anatomical convergences may sustain a dynamic equilibrium between positive and negative affective states in human mood-regulation and its various disorders, especially evident in addictions and depression...
- Preoperative assessment of motor cortex and pyramidal tracts in central cavernoma employing functional and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of the University of Technology, Aachen, Germany
Surg Neurol 58:302-7; discussion 308. 2002
..We therefore propose to combine fMRI with diffusion-weighted MRI (DWI) that allows visualization of large fiber tracts and to implement this data in a neuronavigation system...
- Imaging of postthalamic visual fiber tracts by anisotropic diffusion weighted MRI and diffusion tensor imaging: principles and applications
Marcus H T Reinges
Department of Neurosurgery and Neuroradiology, University Hospital of the Technical University Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Eur J Radiol 49:91-104. 2004
..A special focus is laid on the combination of fiber tract imaging, anatomical imaging and functional MRI for presurgical planning and intraoperative neuronavigation of lesions near the visual system...
- Advanced neuronavigation in skull base tumors and vascular lesions
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:13-8. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to describe the usefulness of recent advances of neuronavigational technology in the management of skull base tumors and of vascular lesions, treated via a skull base approach...
- [Diffusion Weighted Imaging Combined with Intraoperative 3D-Ultrasound and fMRI for the Resection of an Optic Radiation Cavernoma]
V A Coenen
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 64:133-7. 2003
..This is the first report of the combined use of fMRI, fiber tract imaging and 3D-ultrasound for the safe resection of an optic radiation lesion...
- Three-dimensional visualization of the pyramidal tract in a neuronavigation system during brain tumor surgery: first experiences and technical note
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the University of Technology RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurgery 49:86-92; discussion 92-3. 2001
..To integrate spatial three-dimensional information concerning the pyramidal tracts into a customized system for frameless neuronavigation during brain tumor surgery...
- Intraoperative 3-dimensional ultrasound for resection control during brain tumour removal: preliminary results of a prospective randomized study
Department of Neurosurgery, Georg August University Goettingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Acta Neurochir Suppl 109:187-90. 2011
..To enhance resection, especially intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has been applied. The aim of this prospective, randomized study was to test if intraoperative 3-D ultrasound likewise can be used for resection control...
- On-demand deep brain stimulation for essential tremor: a report on four cases
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Mov Disord 21:401-5. 2006
..Thus, on-demand DBS saves money, may help to prevent tolerance, and should be adopted for the long-term treatment of ET patients...
- Endoscopic transtentorial ventriculocystostomy and cystoventriculoperitoneal shunt in a neonate with Dandy-Walker malformation and associated aqueductal obstruction
Martin R Weinzierl
Department of Neurosurgery, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Pediatr Neurosurg 41:272-7. 2005
..CONCLUSION: Cystoventriculoperitoneal shunt placement after transtentorial endoscopic ventriculostomy is a surgical alternative in very young children with DWM and associated aqueductal obstruction...
- In vivo 3D visualization of normal pyramidal tracts in human subjects using diffusion weighted magnetic resonance imaging and a neuronavigation system
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of the University of Technology, Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057, Aachen, Germany
Neurosci Lett 307:192-6. 2001
..Other potential applications include the demonstration of the anatomical substrate of functional connectivity in the human brain...
- Fiber tracking with distinct software tools results in a clear diversity in anatomical fiber tract portrayal
Department of Neurosurgery, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Cent Eur Neurosurg 70:27-35. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to compare the performance of different fiber tracking software tools (FT-tools). We tested the software performance, comparability and anatomical accuracy of the tracking results of several programs...
- Thalamic deep brain stimulation improves eyeblink conditioning deficits in essential tremor
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Aachen, RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Exp Neurol 211:387-96. 2008
..Modulation of cerebello-thalamic and/or thalamo-cortico-cerebellar pathways by DBS may play a role...
- Localization of the subthalamic nucleus: optimization with susceptibility-weighted phase MR imaging
A T Vertinsky
Department of Radiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:1717-24. 2009
..The goal was to identify an efficient scanning protocol for high-quality phase images of STN...
- Effects of deep brain stimulation of the cerebellothalamic pathways on the sense of smell
Department of Neurology, Medical Faculty, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Exp Neurol 222:144-52. 2010
..We propose that the impairment of the odor threshold with DBS is related to effects on an olfacto-motor loop, while disturbed odor discrimination may be related to effects of DBS on short-term memory...
- The effect of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation on precision grip abnormalities in Parkinson's disease
Stuart J Fellows
Neurologische Klinik, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Germany
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 12:149-54. 2006
- Microwave dielectric measurements and tissue characteristics of the human brain: potential in localizing intracranial tissues
Department of Neurology, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Germany
Phys Med Biol 47:1793-803. 2002
..The measurements of dielectric properties are well suited to differentiate distinct intracerebral structures. The method could be used for online monitoring of the needle's position during a stereotactic intervention in neurosurgery...