- Diffusion-weighted imaging-guided resection of intracerebral lesions involving the optic radiation
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Aachen University RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 28:188-95. 2005
..The authors conclude that intraoperative OR visualization, realized by neuronavigationally displayed DWI data, might prove to be helpful to maintain patients' visual fields...
- Electrophysiological proof of diffusion-weighted imaging-derived depiction of the deep-seated pyramidal tract in human
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the Aachen University RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 67:117-22. 2006
..Due to methodical limitations of this study the accuracy of the proven IC display is limited to 3 mm which has proven to be sufficient for the planning and performance of neurosurgical procedures in the vicinity of large fiber tracts...
- Noradrenergic modulation of subthalamic nucleus activity in human: metoprolol reduces spiking activity in microelectrode recordings during deep brain stimulation surgery for Parkinson's disease
V A Coenen
Surgical Center for Movement Disorders, Division of Neurosurgery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:757-62; discussion 762. 2008
- What is dorso-lateral in the subthalamic Nucleus (STN)?--a topographic and anatomical consideration on the ambiguous description of today's primary target for deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery
Volker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:1163-5; discussion 1165. 2008
..Ambiguities arise, regarding the true meaning of this description in the STN. Does "dorsal" indicate posterior or superior? At its best, this definition assigns two directions in space to a three-dimensional structure...
- Medial forebrain bundle stimulation as a pathophysiological mechanism for hypomania in subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease
Volker A Coenen
Surgical Center for Movement Disorders, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Neurosurgery 64:1106-14; discussion 1114-5. 2009
..We suggest a different explanation, in which the coactivation of the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), outside the STN, leads to hypomania during STN DBS...
- Sequential visualization of brain and fiber tract deformation during intracranial surgery with three-dimensional ultrasound: an approach to evaluate the effect of brain shift
Volker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Aachen University of Technology, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurgery 56:133-41; discussion 133-41. 2005
..We present a technique that allows intraoperative display of brain shift and its effects on fiber tracts...
- Image-guided microneurosurgical management of small cerebral arteriovenous malformations: the value of navigated computed tomographic angiography
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Neuroradiology 47:66-72. 2005
..CTA can be easily implemented into commercial neuronavigation systems...
- Subthalamic nucleus stimulation for advanced Parkinson's disease: how to find a far medial STN
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the Aachen University RWTH, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:373-7. 2004
..In the presented case we applied the integrated information from intraoperative MER, macrostimulation and postoperative imaging work-up and were able to complete DBS implantation successfully...
- How useful is the 3-dimensional, surgeon's perspective-adjusted visualisation of the vessel anatomy during aneurysm surgery? A prospective clinical trial
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty, University Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 30:209-16; discussion 216-7. 2007
..Possibly, this technique has the potential to improve operative results by reduction of the surgical trauma and avoidance of intraoperative complications...
- Human medial forebrain bundle (MFB) and anterior thalamic radiation (ATR): imaging of two major subcortical pathways and the dynamic balance of opposite affects in understanding depression
Volker A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, Bonn University, Germany
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 24:223-36. 2012
..These anatomical convergences may sustain a dynamic equilibrium between positive and negative affective states in human mood-regulation and its various disorders, especially evident in addictions and depression...
- Preoperative assessment of motor cortex and pyramidal tracts in central cavernoma employing functional and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of the University of Technology, Aachen, Germany
Surg Neurol 58:302-7; discussion 308. 2002
..We therefore propose to combine fMRI with diffusion-weighted MRI (DWI) that allows visualization of large fiber tracts and to implement this data in a neuronavigation system...
- Imaging of postthalamic visual fiber tracts by anisotropic diffusion weighted MRI and diffusion tensor imaging: principles and applications
Marcus H T Reinges
Department of Neurosurgery and Neuroradiology, University Hospital of the Technical University Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Eur J Radiol 49:91-104. 2004
..A special focus is laid on the combination of fiber tract imaging, anatomical imaging and functional MRI for presurgical planning and intraoperative neuronavigation of lesions near the visual system...
- Advanced neuronavigation in skull base tumors and vascular lesions
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:13-8. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to describe the usefulness of recent advances of neuronavigational technology in the management of skull base tumors and of vascular lesions, treated via a skull base approach...
- [Diffusion Weighted Imaging Combined with Intraoperative 3D-Ultrasound and fMRI for the Resection of an Optic Radiation Cavernoma]
V A Coenen
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 64:133-7. 2003
..This is the first report of the combined use of fMRI, fiber tract imaging and 3D-ultrasound for the safe resection of an optic radiation lesion...
- Three-dimensional visualization of the pyramidal tract in a neuronavigation system during brain tumor surgery: first experiences and technical note
V A Coenen
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of the University of Technology RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Neurosurgery 49:86-92; discussion 92-3. 2001
..To integrate spatial three-dimensional information concerning the pyramidal tracts into a customized system for frameless neuronavigation during brain tumor surgery...
- Intraoperative 3-dimensional ultrasound for resection control during brain tumour removal: preliminary results of a prospective randomized study
Department of Neurosurgery, Georg August University Goettingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Acta Neurochir Suppl 109:187-90. 2011
..To enhance resection, especially intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has been applied. The aim of this prospective, randomized study was to test if intraoperative 3-D ultrasound likewise can be used for resection control...
- On-demand deep brain stimulation for essential tremor: a report on four cases
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Mov Disord 21:401-5. 2006
..Thus, on-demand DBS saves money, may help to prevent tolerance, and should be adopted for the long-term treatment of ET patients...
- Endoscopic transtentorial ventriculocystostomy and cystoventriculoperitoneal shunt in a neonate with Dandy-Walker malformation and associated aqueductal obstruction
Martin R Weinzierl
Department of Neurosurgery, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Pediatr Neurosurg 41:272-7. 2005
..The high rate of complications of combined shunting stimulated the authors to search for an alternative surgical solution...
- In vivo 3D visualization of normal pyramidal tracts in human subjects using diffusion weighted magnetic resonance imaging and a neuronavigation system
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of the University of Technology, Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057, Aachen, Germany
Neurosci Lett 307:192-6. 2001
..Other potential applications include the demonstration of the anatomical substrate of functional connectivity in the human brain...
- Fiber tracking with distinct software tools results in a clear diversity in anatomical fiber tract portrayal
Department of Neurosurgery, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Cent Eur Neurosurg 70:27-35. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to compare the performance of different fiber tracking software tools (FT-tools). We tested the software performance, comparability and anatomical accuracy of the tracking results of several programs...
- Thalamic deep brain stimulation improves eyeblink conditioning deficits in essential tremor
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Aachen, RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Exp Neurol 211:387-96. 2008
..Modulation of cerebello-thalamic and/or thalamo-cortico-cerebellar pathways by DBS may play a role...
- Localization of the subthalamic nucleus: optimization with susceptibility-weighted phase MR imaging
A T Vertinsky
Department of Radiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:1717-24. 2009
..The goal was to identify an efficient scanning protocol for high-quality phase images of STN...
- Effects of deep brain stimulation of the cerebellothalamic pathways on the sense of smell
Department of Neurology, Medical Faculty, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Exp Neurol 222:144-52. 2010
..We propose that the impairment of the odor threshold with DBS is related to effects on an olfacto-motor loop, while disturbed odor discrimination may be related to effects of DBS on short-term memory...
- The effect of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation on precision grip abnormalities in Parkinson's disease
Stuart J Fellows
Neurologische Klinik, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Germany
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 12:149-54. 2006
- Microwave dielectric measurements and tissue characteristics of the human brain: potential in localizing intracranial tissues
Department of Neurology, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Germany
Phys Med Biol 47:1793-803. 2002
..The measurements of dielectric properties are well suited to differentiate distinct intracerebral structures. The method could be used for online monitoring of the needle's position during a stereotactic intervention in neurosurgery...