- Rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis with the Xpert MTB/RIF assay in high burden countries: a cost-effectiveness analysis
Department of Global Health, Amsterdam Institute of Global Health and Development, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS Med 8:e1001120. 2011
..However, because the test is expensive, there are concerns among TB program managers and policy makers regarding its affordability for low- and middle-income settings...
- Urban movement and alcohol intake strongly predict defaulting from tuberculosis treatment: an operational study
Directorate of Health, Kampala Capital City Authority, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 7:e35908. 2012
..High levels of defaulting from treatment challenge tuberculosis control in many African cities. We assessed defaulting from tuberculosis treatment in an African urban setting...
- Increased transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing genotype strains associated with resistance to streptomycin: a population-based study
Tran N Buu
Tuberculosis Control Department, Pham Ngoc Thach Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
PLoS ONE 7:e42323. 2012
..This suggests that drug resistant Beijing strains have a relatively high transmission fitness compared to other drug-resistant strains...
- For whom the bell tolls: isoniazid preventive therapy and tuberculosis drug resistance
Frank G J Cobelens
Department of Global Health and Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sci Transl Med 5:180fs12. 2013
..The expected increase in drug-resistant tuberculosis due to large-scale preventive treatment in people living with HIV calls for reconsidering the "double use" of isoniazid for prophylaxis and curative treatment (Mills et al., this issue)...
- Research on implementation of interventions in tuberculosis control in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review
Department of Global Health, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS Med 9:e1001358. 2012
..We investigated the availability of published evidence on their effectiveness, delivery, and cost-effectiveness that policy makers need for scaling-up these interventions at country level...
- Which new diagnostics for tuberculosis, and when?
Department of Global Health, Academic Medical Center and Amsterdam Institute of Global Health and Development, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 205:S191-8. 2012
..The evidence for both steps should be systematically collected, but each requires different study designs...
- Frequency and predictors for late start of antiretroviral therapy in primary care clinics, Kampala, Uganda
Disease Surveillance, Directorate of Health, Kampala Capital City Authority, P O Box, 700, Kampala, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 61:e33-9. 2012
..We assessed, in a routine ambulatory care setting, what proportion of patients start ART late and the associated factors...
- Long delays and missed opportunities in diagnosing smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis in Kampala, Uganda: a cross-sectional study
Public Health Department, Kampala City Council, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 5:e14459. 2010
- Multidrug-resistant TB in Zambia: review of national data from 2000 to 2011
Ministry of Health, Lusaka, Zambia National TB and Leprosy Control Programme, Ministry of Health, Lusaka, Zambia University of Zambia University College London Medical School Research and Training Programme, Lusaka, Zambia Center for Tropical Medicine and Travel Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 18:1386-91. 2013
..The burden in Zambia is not well defined because routine surveillance data are scarce. We reviewed national MDR-TB data for the last decade to inform future public health policy with respect to MDR-TB in Zambia...
- Low HIV testing rates among tuberculosis patients in Kampala, Uganda
Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Center for Poverty related Communicable Diseases, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 10:177. 2010
..HIV test uptake among newly diagnosed pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) patients; to assess patient and health worker factors associated with HIV test uptake; and to determine factors associated with HIV test uptake at the primary care clinics..
- Incidence and predictors of mortality and the effect of tuberculosis immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in a cohort of TB/HIV patients commencing antiretroviral therapy
Department of Medicine, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 58:32-7. 2011
..Tuberculosis-HIV (TB-HIV) coinfection remains an important cause of mortality in antiretroviral therapy (ART) programs. In a cohort of TB-HIV-coinfected patients starting ART, we examined the incidence and predictors of early mortality...
- Optimal triage test characteristics to improve the cost-effectiveness of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for TB diagnosis: a decision analysis
Anna H Van't Hoog
Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development AIGHD, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Department of Global Health, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e82786. 2013
..To inform the selection and development of particular diagnostics as a triage test we explored combinations of sensitivity, specificity and cost at which a hypothetical triage test will improve affordability of the Xpert assay...
- Combined species identification, genotyping, and drug resistance detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis cultures by MLPA on a bead-based array
KIT Biomedical Research, Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e43240. 2012
..Strain characterization can allow selection of appropriate treatment and thereby improve treatment outcome and patient management...