- Clinical and epidemiological features of Lyme borreliosis in Bulgaria
National Reference Laboratory for Lyme Borreliosis, Department of Microbiology, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:42-6. 2004
..Data on disease expression and epidemiological characteristics of Lyme borreliosis in south-eastern Europe are scarce...
- Environmental correlates of Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever incidence in Bulgaria
Fenicia M Vescio
Division of Epidemiology, MIPI Department of Infectious Diseases, National Public Health Institute, Rome, Italy
BMC Public Health 12:1116. 2012
..or through contact with blood/tissues from infected people or animals. CCHF is endemic in the Balkan area, including Bulgaria, where it causes both sporadic cases and community outbreaks...
- Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome and Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever as causes of acute undifferentiated febrile illness in Bulgaria
National Reference Tick borne Infections Laboratory, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 13:188-92. 2013
..Physicians must be aware of possible viral hemorrhagic fever cases, even if hemorrhages or renal impairment are not manifested...
- Prevalence of infection with Francisella tularensis, Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato and Anaplasma phagocytophilum in rodents from an endemic focus of tularemia in Bulgaria
National Reference Laboratory for Lyme Borreliosis, Department of Microbiology, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia 1504, Bulgaria
Ann Agric Environ Med 12:149-52. 2005
..The high level of coinfections indicated that the endemic focus is mixed and generates risk for multiple infections in humans. Further investigations are needed to reveal interactions between the pathogens in the infected animals...
- Tularaemia outbreak in Bulgaria
Department of Microbiology, National Centre of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Scand J Infect Dis 36:785-9. 2004
..The high prevalence of the oropharyngeal form of tularaemia supported the assumption that humans contracted the infection by alimentary route...
- Human leptospirosis in Bulgaria, 1989-2001: epidemiological, clinical, and serological features
National Reference Laboratory for Leptospirosis, Department of Microbiology, National Centre of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Scand J Infect Dis 35:869-72. 2003
..Knowledge of epidemiological, clinical, and serological features of leptospirosis in Bulgaria during the 13-year study period is an appropriate base to outline measures for successful prevention and early diagnosis of the disease...
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, immunofluorescent assay, and recombinant immunoblotting in the serodiagnosis of early Lyme borreliosis
Microbiology Department, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 16:261-8. 2003
..burgdorferi antibodies. An additional examination of ELISA borderline sera by immunoblot revealed more positive results. Serum reactivity to a single OspC antigen seems to be a sufficient criterion for positive IgM immunoblot...
- High prevalence of granulocytic Ehrlichiae and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks from Bulgaria
Department of Microbiology, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Clin Microbiol 39:4172-4. 2001
..Coinfections and dual or triple Borrelia infections were frequent, although Ehrlichia phagocytophila heterogeneity was minimal. Multiple tick-borne bacteria coexist in I. ricinus ticks in southeastern Europe...
- Cross-reaction between Yersinia outer membrane proteins and anti-Borrelia antibodies in sera of patients with Lyme disease
Department of Pathogenic Bacteria, The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:873-5. 2008
..For IgM, no cross-reaction was detected. Owing to cross-reactivity with Borrelia, the diagnosis of Yersinia-triggered reactive arthritis should be based on a combination of serological and clinical findings...
- Identification of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, Anaplasma and Ehrlichia species, and spotted fever group Rickettsiae in ticks from Southeastern Europe
Department of Microbiology, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Boulevard Yanko Sakazov 26, 1504 Sofia, Bulgaria
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:535-42. 2003
..Furthermore, the results suggest that there is a considerable chance for simultaneous transmission of tick-borne pathogens to human beings...
- Serum cobalt in children with essential hypertension
Department of Biology and Pathological Physiology, University School of Medicine, 5800 Pleven, Bulgaria
Am J Hum Biol 18:798-805. 2006
..This is the first study of serum cobalt in children with essential hypertension...
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Bulgaria
WHO Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Arboviruses and Haemorrhagic Fever Viruses at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1465-7. 2004
..We report the epidemiologic characteristics of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Bulgaria, as well as the first genetic characterization of the virus strains circulating in the country in 2002 to 2003 that caused disease in humans...
- Cloning and expression of recombinant flagellar protein flaB from Borrelia burgdorferi
Laboratory of Yeast Molecular Genetics, Institute of Molecular Biology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Folia Med (Plovdiv) 49:58-62. 2007
..One of the immunodominant Borrelia antigens that elicit a strong and early immune response is FlaB, making it appropriate for recombinant protein based serological diagnostic tests...