Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Hong Kong
- Intermedin in rat uterus: changes in gene expression and peptide levels across the estrous cycle and its effects on uterine contractionChi Wai Wong
Departments of Physiology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 11:13. 2013..The present study demonstrates the expression of intermedin (IMD) and its receptor components in the uterus of the female rat during the estrous cycle and its effect on uterine contraction...
- Adrenomedullin in rat follicles and corpora lutea: expression, functions and interaction with endothelin-1Lei Li
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 9:111. 2011..The present study investigated the interaction of ADM and endothelin-1 (ET-1) in follicles and newly formed corpora lutea (CL) and the actions of ADM on progesterone production in CL during pregnancy...
- Coexpression of adrenomedullin and its receptor component proteins in the reproductive system of the rat during gestationLei Li
Department of Physiology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 8:130. 2010..Adrenomedullin (ADM), a novel vasorelaxant peptide, was found in human/rat ovaries and uteri. Plasma ADM level increases in pregnant women and pregnant rats...
- The effects of melatonin and Ginkgo biloba extract on memory loss and choline acetyltransferase activities in the brain of rats infused intracerebroventricularly with beta-amyloid 1-40F Tang
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, China
Life Sci 71:2625-31. 2002..The results indicate that orally administered Ginkgo biloba extract can protect the brain against beta-amyloid from changes leading to memory deficit through its effect on the cholinergic system...
- Adrenomedullin gene expression and peptide levels in the heart and blood vessels of streptozotocin-diabetic ratsF Tang
Department of Physiology and Centre of Heart, Brain, Hormones and Healthy Aging, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong, China
Horm Metab Res 39:3-8. 2007..The plasma AM levels were not changed but there was an increase in the excretion of AM in the urine. Our results suggest a possible increase in AM release in the heart and the thoracic aorta in the 2-week and 4-week diabetic rats...
- Ether stress increases adrenomedullin gene expression and levels in the rat adrenalF Tang
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Horm Metab Res 37:585-8. 2005....
- Adrenomedullin increased the short-circuit current in the pig oviduct through chloride channels via the CGRP receptor: mediation by cAMP and calcium ions but not by nitric oxideS B Liao
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Biol Reprod 89:99. 2013..In summary, ADM may increase oviductal fluid secretion via chloride secretion independent of the nitric oxide pathway for the transport of sperm and the conceptus...
- Possible role of adrenomedullin in the pathogenesis of tubal ectopic pregnancyS B Liao
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, First Floor, Laboratory Block, Faculty of Medicine Building, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:2105-12. 2012..Tubal ectopic pregnancy (tEP) is currently the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths during the first trimester. Our current knowledge on the molecular pathogenesis is limited...
- Behavioral and neurochemical characterization of transgenic mice carrying the human presenilin-1 gene with or without the leucine-to-proline mutation at codon 235X G Huang
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Exp Neurol 183:673-81. 2003....
- Adrenomedullin increases the short-circuit current in the rat prostate: Receptors, chloride channels, the effects of cAMP and calcium ions and implications on fluid secretionS B Liao
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China Department of Physiology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Andrology 2:474-80. 2014..We conclude that ADM may regulate prostatic fluid secretion through the chloride channels, which may affect the composition of the seminal plasma bathing the spermatozoa and hence fertility...
- Effects of adrenomedullin on tumour necrosis factor alpha, interleukins, endothelin-1, leptin, and adiponectin in the epididymal fat and soleus muscle of the ratS B Liao
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Horm Metab Res 45:31-7. 2013..The increase in leptin and the decrease in adiponectin by ADM in the epididymal fat may have opposite effects on metabolism...
- An ontogenic study of adrenomedullin gene expression in the rat lung, adrenal, kidney, and heartP F Wong
Department of Physiology, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Endocrine 41:256-65. 2012..The results indicate that the levels of preproAdm mRNA, ADM peptide and its receptor component mRNAs in different tissues followed different patterns of changes during development...
- Chronic intracerebroventricular exposure to beta-amyloid(1-40) impairs object recognition but does not affect spontaneous locomotor activity or sensorimotor gating in the ratS Nag
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, PR China
Exp Brain Res 136:93-100. 2001..It therefore lends support to the hypothesis that beta-amyloid exposure can lead to severe impairment across multiple memory systems...
- Increased adrenomedullin expression in lungs in endotoxaemiaB M Y Cheung
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Endocrinol 181:339-45. 2004..In conclusion, endotoxin stimulates the expression of AM in the lungs and increases its circulatory concentration. AM may be involved in the systemic response to sepsis...
- Adrenomedullin increases ciliary beat frequency and decreases muscular contraction in the rat oviductS B Liao
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Reproduction 141:367-72. 2011..All in all, these results indicate that ADM may play a crucial role in transporting the gametes/embryos by regulating ciliary beating and muscular contraction...
- Autoradiographic distribution and physiological regulation of 2-[125I]iodomelatonin binding in rat epididymisS Y Shiu
Department of Physiology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Life Sci 59:1165-74. 1996..A novel role of melatonin and its receptor in the regulation of the functions of rat corpus epididymidis is strongly implicated...
- Adrenomedullin regulates sperm motility and oviductal ciliary beat via cyclic adenosine 5'-monophosphate/protein kinase A and nitric oxidePhilip C N Chiu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Endocrinology 151:3336-47. 2010..In conclusion, ADM is a common activator of flagellar/ciliary beating. The study provides a physiological basis on possible use of ADM as a fertility regulation drug...
- Transgene delivery with a cationic lipid in the presence of amyloid beta (betaAP) peptideP S Ajmani
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
Neurochem Res 26:195-202. 2001..These results demonstrate that betaAP (25-35) peptide may interfere with gene delivery with cationic systems...
- Hyper-expression of human apolipoprotein E4 in astroglia and neurons does not enhance amyloid deposition in transgenic miceC Lesuisse
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Avenue, Ross Building Room 558, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Hum Mol Genet 10:2525-37. 2001..We suggest that these data are best explained by proposing that the mechanisms by which Apo E influences A beta deposition involves an aspect of its normal function that is not augmented by hyper-expression...
- Membrane fluidity effects of estratrienesY Liang
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Brain Res Bull 54:661-8. 2001..The data suggest the plethora of cellular actions of estrogens may relate to or be influenced by membrane effects of the steroid...
- [The therapy of transverse tibial bone transport and vessel regeneration operation on thromboangitis obliterans]L Qu
Department of Orthopaedics, Harbin Dongyong Hospital, Harbin 150000, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 81:622-4. 2001..CONCLUSION: the result acquired from the animal experiment was as same as the result acquired from the clinica practice. Today, this method is the most effective one to treat the peripheral chronic artery obliterations...
- Alterations in acetylcholinesterase and choline acetyltransferase activities and neuropeptide levels in the ventral spinal cord of the Wobbler mouse during inherited motoneuron diseaseK K Yung
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong
Brain Res 638:337-42. 1994..These data correlate with the high substance P, methionine and leucine enkephalin concentrations measured in the Wobbler ventral horn late in the motoneuron disease...