Simon Ming Yuen Lee
Affiliation: University of Macau
- Zhou Z, Huang B, Li S, Huang X, Tang J, Kwan Y, et al. Sodium tanshinone IIA sulfonate promotes endothelial integrity via regulating VE-cadherin dynamics and RhoA/ROCK-mediated cellular contractility and prevents atorvastatin-induced intracerebral hemorrhage in zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2018;350:32-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we investigated the underlying mechanisms of Ator-induced endothelial instability, and provided scientific evidences of STS as potential ICH therapeutics by promoting vascular integrity. ..
- Cui G, Xin Q, Tseng H, Hoi M, Wang Y, Yang B, et al. A novel Ca2+ current blocker promotes angiogenesis and cardiac healing after experimental myocardial infarction in mice. Pharmacol Res. 2018;134:109-117 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicated that ADTM served as a Ca2+ current blocker, promoted angiogenesis and reduced experimental myocardial infarct size in mice, probably through stimulation of VEGF production in VSMCs. ..
- Liao Q, Gong G, Siu S, Wong C, Yu H, Tse Y, et al. A Novel ShK-Like Toxic Peptide from the Transcriptome of the Cnidarian Palythoa caribaeorum Displays Neuroprotection and Cardioprotection in Zebrafish. Toxins (Basel). 2018;10: pubmed publisher..The present results indicated that PcShK3 is a novel member of ShK toxin family, and has the intrinsic ability to induce neuro- and cardio-protective effects or cause cardiac toxicity, according to its effective concentration. ..
- Zhang Z, Li G, Szeto S, Chong C, Quan Q, Huang C, et al. Examining the neuroprotective effects of protocatechuic acid and chrysin on in vitro and in vivo models of Parkinson disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015;84:331-343 pubmed publisher..A therapy involving both PCA and chrysin exhibits its enhanced neuroprotective effects through a combination of cellular mechanisms: antioxidant cytoprotection and anti-inflammation. ..
- R L Morlighem J, Huang C, Liao Q, Braga Gomes P, Daniel Pérez C, de Brandão Prieto da Silva A, et al. The Holo-Transcriptome of the Zoantharian Protopalythoa variabilis (Cnidaria: Anthozoa): A Plentiful Source of Enzymes for Potential Application in Green Chemistry, Industrial and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology. Mar Drugs. 2018;16: pubmed publisher..These predicted enzyme structures and activities can prospectively be harnessed for applications in diverse areas of industrial and pharmaceutical biotechnology. ..
- Wang Y, Hoi P, Chan J, Lee S. New perspective on the dual functions of indirubins in cancer therapy and neuroprotection. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2014;14:1213-9 pubmed..In this review, the underlying mechanisms of the dual actions of indirubin and its structurally-related compounds in cancer and neurodegenerative disease therapy are presented. ..
- Wang M, Zhang Z, Cheang L, Lin Z, Lee S. Eriocaulon buergerianum extract protects PC12 cells and neurons in zebrafish against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced damage. Chin Med. 2011;6:16 pubmed publisher..The iNOS-NO pathway may be involved. ..
- Yang B, Cheung K, Zhou X, Xie R, Cheng P, Wu S, et al. Amelioration of acute myocardial infarction by saponins from flower buds of Panax notoginseng via pro-angiogenesis and anti-apoptosis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;181:50-8 pubmed publisher..notoginseng may potentially provide preventive and therapeutic agent for cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Hu S, Wang L, Mak S, Zhang Z, Xu D, Li H, et al. Potent Protection Against MPP+-Induced Neurotoxicity via Activating Transcription Factor MEF2D by a Novel Derivative of Naturally Occurring Danshensu/Tetramethylpyrazine. Neuromolecular Med. 2016;18:561-572 pubmed..DT-010 may be a potential candidate for further preclinical study for preventing and treating PD. ..
- Chong C, Ma D, Zhao C, Franklin R, Zhou Z, Ai N, et al. Discovery of a novel neuroprotectant, BHDPC, that protects against MPP+/MPTP-induced neuronal death in multiple experimental models. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015;89:1057-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that BHDPC is a potential neuroprotectant with prosurvival effects in multiple models of neurodegenerative disease in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo. ..
- Liu M, Yang B, Cheung W, Yang K, Zhou H, Kwok J, et al. Transcriptome analysis of leaves, roots and flowers of Panax notoginseng identifies genes involved in ginsenoside and alkaloid biosynthesis. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:265 pubmed publisher..The transcriptomes in different plant tissues also provide invaluable resources for future study of the differences in physiological processes and secondary metabolites in different parts of P. notoginseng. ..
- Ko C, Yang C, Lin S, Li S, Dong Z, Liu J, et al. A long-lived phosphorescence iridium(III) complex as a switch on-off-on probe for live zebrafish monitoring of endogenous sulfide generation. Biosens Bioelectron. 2017;94:575-583 pubmed publisher..5mM, with a detection limit of 2.9?M at signal-to-noise ratio (S/N) of 3. We also demonstrate the utility of 1-Fe3+ for cell-based imaging as well as for the detection of enzymatic sulfide generation in living zebrafish. ..
- Tang F, Zhou X, Wang L, Shan L, Li C, Zhou H, et al. A novel compound DT-010 protects against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in zebrafish and H9c2 cells by inhibiting reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptotic and autophagic pathways. Eur J Pharmacol. 2018;820:86-96 pubmed publisher..Since Dox-induced cardiotoxicity is multifactorial, our results suggest that multi-functional agent such as DT-010 might be an effective therapeutic agent for combating cardiotoxicity associated with chemotherapeutic agents such as Dox. ..
- Li J, Zhang J, Zou L, Lee S, Yang C, Seto S, et al. Pro-angiogenic effects of Ilexsaponin A1 on human umbilical vein endothelial cells in vitro and zebrafish in vivo. Phytomedicine. 2017;36:229-237 pubmed publisher..pubescens, a major source of Ilexsaponin A1, could be developed as a potential therapeutic agent for preventing or treating cardiovascular diseases and/or other diseases related to vascular insufficiency. ..
- Huang B, Zhou Z, Li S, Huang X, Tang J, Hoi M, et al. Tanshinone I prevents atorvastatin-induced cerebral hemorrhage in zebrafish and stabilizes endothelial cell-cell adhesion by inhibiting VE-cadherin internalization and actin-myosin contractility. Pharmacol Res. 2018;128:389-398 pubmed publisher..These findings identified Tan I as an endothelial stabilizing agent and suggested Tan I as a potential treatment for vascular leakage in hemorrhagic stroke. ..
- Gao C, Tang F, Gong G, Zhang J, Hoi M, Lee S, et al. pH-Responsive prodrug nanoparticles based on a sodium alginate derivative for selective co-release of doxorubicin and curcumin into tumor cells. Nanoscale. 2017;9:12533-12542 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that this novel pH-sensitive prodrug-nanoparticle system may provide a simple and efficient platform for the selective co-delivery of multiple drugs to tumor cells. ..
- Huang C, Morlighem J, Cai J, Liao Q, Pérez C, Gomes P, et al. Identification of long non-coding RNAs in two anthozoan species and their possible implications for coral bleaching. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5333 pubmed publisher..caribaeorum could posttranscriptionally regulate the mRNAs encoding proteins of Ras-mediated signal transduction pathway and components of innate immune-system, which could contribute to the molecular response of coral bleaching. ..
- Zhang J, Li J, Shi Z, Yang Y, Xie X, Lee S, et al. pH-sensitive polymeric nanoparticles for co-delivery of doxorubicin and curcumin to treat cancer via enhanced pro-apoptotic and anti-angiogenic activities. Acta Biomater. 2017;58:349-364 pubmed publisher..The co-encapsulation of the pro-apoptotic drug and antiangiogenic agent in pH-sensitive NPs provides a promising strategy to effectively inhibit malignant neoplasm progression in a synergistic manner. ..
- Guo M, Yang R, Huang C, Liao Q, Fan G, Sun C, et al. Evolutionary gradient of predicted nuclear localization signals (NLS)-bearing proteins in genomes of family Planctomycetaceae. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:86 pubmed publisher..The results of this study reveal that Planctomycetaceae separates slightly from the members of non-planctomycete bacteria but still has substantial differences from fungi, based on the NLS-like motifs and NLS-bearing protein analysis. ..
- Li S, Dang Y, Oi Lam Che G, Kwan Y, Chan S, Leung G, et al. VEGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor II (VRI) induced vascular insufficiency in zebrafish as a model for studying vascular toxicity and vascular preservation. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014;280:408-20 pubmed publisher..In addition, we showed that VRI-induced blood vessel loss in zebrafish represented a simple and effective in vivo model for studying vascular insufficiency and evaluating cancer drug vascular toxicities. ..
- Xu D, Zhang K, Zhang Z, Sun Y, Guo B, Wang Y, et al. A novel tetramethylpyrazine bis-nitrone (TN-2) protects against 6-hydroxyldopamine-induced neurotoxicity via modulation of the NF-ÎºB and the PKCÎ±/PI3-K/Akt pathways. Neurochem Int. 2014;78:76-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that TN-2 protected against 6-OHDA-induced neurotoxicity via modulating the NF-ÎºB-medicated neuroinflammation and PKCÎ±/PI3-K/Akt pathways. ..
- Yang B, Hong S, Lee S, Cong W, Wan J, Zhang Z, et al. Pro-angiogenic activity of notoginsenoside R1 in human umbilical vein endothelial cells in vitro and in a chemical-induced blood vessel loss model of zebrafish in vivo. Chin J Integr Med. 2016;22:420-9 pubmed publisher..The present study in vivo and in vitro provided scientific evidence to explain the ethnomedical use of Panax notoginseng in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, traumatic injuries and wound healing. ..
- Li S, Zhou X, Dang Y, Kwan Y, Chan S, Leung G, et al. Basal Flt1 tyrosine kinase activity is a positive regulator of endothelial survival and vascularization during zebrafish embryogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1850:373-84 pubmed publisher..The roles of Flt1 activity in endothelial cell survival in physiological vascular formation may have been previously under-appreciated. ..